• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Controllers

im2emo4myshrt

Smash Apprentice
I am new to the smash scene, a little over a month now. Prior to finding this website i rarely used my controller, and even when I did I wasn't nearly as harsh on it as I am now. I have already noticed a big difference in my controller just from a month of abuse, so how many controllers have you guys go through. And are their better controllers to buy that don't get worn out so much.

Fiiii

Smash Apprentice
I haven't completley destroyed any controllers yet, but one is unusable due to a limp control stick and a mashed in A button. Another controller, which I use the most, has an R button that, oddly enough, does not work in the menus, but works fine ingame. Weird. I'd say never go with wavebirds, just becuase they're awkward when playing and would probably be more likely to be thrown at wall.

Kerocola

Smash Apprentice
The only damage my controllers have had is sticky buttons...and a sticky L/R button isn't good at all. One of the most important buttons. Go to L-Cancel and it would keep me in a shield for a while. Wavedashing, I would end up shielding at the end...frustraiting. But that can be solved with a can of air. And drinking less soda(and spilling it). I try not to go crazy on my controllers.

I

i8waffles612

One of my controllers wireis about the break. I brought 2 controllers on ebay like a month ago.... but it still works fine

jamminjohn

Smash Ace
Most of the wear on my controller is on the control stick. I just bought it two months ago and I can tell the difference already. My buttons don't get too worn out because short hopping doesn't put too much pressure and because I z-attack/cancel.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
5 Years of smash and my original [the one I got with the cube] is still working, and the one I bought 4 years ago is still working.

Although the button have lost some response, and the analog stick on the one I use is becoming loose.

ScaryMunky

Smash Journeyman
The two controllers I got when I bought my cube are completely trash (indigo ones). The joysticks are stuck at diagonal angles and the a/b buttons are mashed real bad. Those controllers didn't last a year. I bought a black controller years ago, and it's still in near perfect condition. Which is wierd, because that's the controller I was using when I got heavily into smash and discovered all the advanced techniques. *shrug*

Kio Iranez

Smash Ace
Two of my past controllers had worn out analog stick covers, so they just fell off. If this happens, don't even try using it. The sharp edges can cut up your thumb.

peachori

Smash Journeyman
i have 2 controllers i bought when the cube came out, one (which i used for other games too) is gone, control stick no longer registers. the one that actually came with my cube is just starting to show signs of dying. i'll probably buy a couple this weekend, but i dont wanna go through the process of loosening up the sticks :/

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Dam, you have a lot of controller, I only have 3 and 1 is a MAcatz that hardly works.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I bought my Gamecube a week after it was released.

The original controller it came with... sadly just became useless as of last week. My nephew ripped the pad off of the controll stick, and the whole stick in general has become very loose.

But hey. It was a good controller, and it lasted a good five years.

RIP, buddy.

I never competitive smashed with it, though. That might have helped.

Massive

Smash Champion
I also got a Gamecube right as it came out and i've had 3 controllers die on me.
All 3 have had C-stick malfunctions and no longer function for smashing purposes (that's why they were retired actually).
2 Have mushy B buttons and one has a mushy A button as well.

Also, I can barely play with a controller if its brand new, the joystick not having a dead zone and new L/R triggers mess up my dashdancing/wavedashing in a bad way.

It usually takes a week or two of daily smashings to break the thing in.

-Ben

Smash Rookie
My controllers seem to be fine, even after some pretty rough play. The Control Stick is slightly loose, but nothing that noticeably affects my play. However, I do have some Smash buddies who really mistreat their controllers, simply dropping them after they've had a match. The results are noticeable on their controllers.

shboke

Smash Journeyman
i forgot how old my cube is but almost 4 years im guessing, my first controller is still good but the C-Stick is kind of coming off but still works perfectly fine.

im2emo4myshrt

Smash Apprentice
which one do u actually use. By the way, is their really a difference between the Mario controller and a reg controller besides, obviously, the paint job.

Myztek

Smash Ace
which one do u actually use. By the way, is their really a difference between the Mario controller and a reg controller besides, obviously, the paint job.
The white one is my favorite.

And no, there's no difference as far as I can tell. I once heard someone say that they're made to last longer than the newer controllers, but I have no idea if that's true or not.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Wow, I must be the only person on the board to have 2 controllers. Now I feel poor >.>

Top Bottom