• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Controller question

Denexus-Hell

Smash Rookie
Hey guys i'm new to this forum and i'm a beginner in smash (i played brawl but you know i was like 10 years old so...) I bought a wii u some days ago and i have a metal mario controller. I have ordered a GC controller and an adapter but I would like to know why is it better ? because everyone is using it so I wanted to know the problem with the luigi, toad, metal mario etc. controllers

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
Hey guys i'm new to this forum and i'm a beginner in smash (i played brawl but you know i was like 10 years old so...) I bought a wii u some days ago and i have a metal mario controller. I have ordered a GC controller and an adapter but I would like to know why is it better ? because everyone is using it so I wanted to know the problem with the luigi, toad, metal mario etc. controllers
The difference is two-fold. One, the character controllers are not made by Nintendo, but by either Hori (the more faithful recreation) or PDP. Two, they don't work the same way as GameCube controllers, but are more like Wii Classic controllers. They don't connect to GameCube ports, but to Wiimote ports, so they are technically anchored wireless controllers. Also, the triggers are more like those of the Wii Classic: there are 4 of them, they are all digital (don't have the same squishy feel as GC controllers), and they are in a different layout from the GC controllers (GC has Z on top, L and R on bottom; 3rd-party ones have L and R on top, ZL and ZR on bottom).

All this from a Wii U Pro controller user who says it is completely okay to not use GC controllers, so if you like the fake ones better, go right ahead.

Denexus-Hell

Smash Rookie
The difference is two-fold. One, the character controllers are not made by Nintendo, but by either Hori (the more faithful recreation) or PDP. Two, they don't work the same way as GameCube controllers, but are more like Wii Classic controllers. They don't connect to GameCube ports, but to Wiimote ports, so they are technically anchored wireless controllers. Also, the triggers are more like those of the Wii Classic: there are 4 of them, they are all digital (don't have the same squishy feel as GC controllers), and they are in a different layout from the GC controllers (GC has Z on top, L and R on bottom; 3rd-party ones have L and R on top, ZL and ZR on bottom).

All this from a Wii U Pro controller user who says it is completely okay to not use GC controllers, so if you like the fake ones better, go right ahead.
Okay ! Thank you for your answer !

Xandra

Smash Cadet
NNID
xandrasmash
There's no problem with them at all (as far as I know); a lot of people simply prefer to use Gamecube controllers. I think it's because Gamecubes are basically considered the tournament-standard controller because they plug directly into the adapter, whereas the controllers you own (they sound like Hori character controllers) connect via Wiimote ports which means they're technically wireless controllers. Some people don't like wireless controllers for fear of them disconnecting somehow during a match and some just prefer the feel/button layout of Gamecube controllers. But I don't think there's anything wrong with the ones you're using. So if you want to use them, have at it!

Skwrl

Smash Cadet
I've used the Hori or PDP controllers before and thought they were fine until I started using the Gamecube controller. I highly recommend getting the Gamecube adapter and a Gamecube controller. Should you ever decide to go to tournaments, this is what you will be using.

Also, if you have played previous Smash games, you should probably be more comfortable with the Gamecube controller.

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
Let me tell you, y'all did the right thing by purchasing the Gamecube controller. I've always felt comfortable with it myself. The Hori pad is a nice touch (and I was thinking about getting one of these myself) but this has to be connected to a Wiimote before it's usable, and that in itself could cause interference in a match. GCN pad? Not so much.

Y'all contemplating competitive play? Expect the vast majority of entrants to use GCN controllers. Not everyone uses it, but it's still the most popular.

Denexus-Hell

Smash Rookie
Thank you all for your answers, I will test the GC controller anyway when I'll get it so I'll be able to compare by myself.

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
I highly recommend getting the Gamecube adapter and a Gamecube controller. Should you ever decide to go to tournaments, this is what you will be using.
Not necessarily. While most pros use GC, it is definitely not mandatory and several top players have had success with other controllers (ScAtt and Myran with Wiichuk, Sol with Wii U Pro).

Skwrl

Smash Cadet
Not necessarily. While most pros use GC, it is definitely not mandatory and several top players have had success with other controllers (ScAtt and Myran with Wiichuk, Sol with Wii U Pro).
Thank you for the information. I didn't know that.

Researching further, I discovered the rules for Evo this year:
"Allowed Controllers: Nintendo Gamecube controller, Wii U Pro controller (battery removed method with USB), and Wii Remote variation (player MUST remove battery upon completion of set or will be disqualified)"

http://evo.shoryuken.com/additional-rules/

Top Bottom