• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Controller problems :(

WingedApple

Smash Rookie
Well, about 3 weeks ago I bought this new controller. It was cordless and said it was 15% smaller than the one a gamecube normally comes with.. And a day ago, I started noticing that it was malfuctioning. Whenever I want to choose a character for melee the hand (the hand on the screen) either drifts upward or downward, even if I don't touch the joystick. Now when I play a melee battle Peach automatically crouches when I try to run or dash... When I was blasted of the stage I used peach's Up+B umbrella move.. and just before I got on the stage I let go of the joystick and I fell because it goes downward on its own..

The controller has fallen a few times, one time my brother threw it to the ceiling and it fell, but I didn't notice any changes after. When I play, sometimes my hands start to sweat and stuff, but it doesn't actually seek into the controller.

Does anyone know how to fix this? I don't plan on buying another controller anytimes soon...

The funny thing is, I wasn't really use to fastfalling, but now the controller does it for me!:chuckle:

Thanks in advance.

-Darc-

Heir to the Monado
Congratulations. You just bought a third party controller.

Now to fix the controller:

Get a first party controller. Seriously.

-Darc-

Heir to the Monado
Really? 15% smaller than a normal controller? I guess I might be mistaken.

It sounds exactly like what a third party controller would do. It would have to be beaten up pretty bad for a Nintendo controller to do that.

I'm really baffled. Are you sure it doesn't say Madcatz or something?

If it is a first party controller then you must have got unlucky.

pikachun00b7

Smash Lord
I know what the problem is..... when the game cube loads the game while your c-stick, analog, or R/L buttons are pressed or touched the the place where the c/analog stick was placed is the neutral position.

-Darc-

Heir to the Monado
I know what the problem is..... when the game cube loads the game while your c-stick, analog, or R/L buttons are pressed or touched the the place where the c/analog stick was placed is the neutral position.
This is true. This has all happened to us, but it consistently does it for him.

Which would mean that either he has an obsession with holding the control stick up or down or that it is actually stuck that way.

psicicle

Smash Ace
in other words, hold X, Y and start for 3 seconds and if it still drifts downwards, get a 1st party controller because the only 1st party wireless ones are actually bigger than the normal controller.

WingedApple

Smash Rookie
This is true. This has all happened to us, but it consistently does it for him.

Which would mean that either he has an obsession with holding the control stick up or down or that it is actually stuck that way.

That might be true, I use peach, so I use a lot of turnips, and pulling out turnips is, DOWN+b.

I need more explanation on third party controllers please. I sort of know what third parties are,
but I've never heard of a third party controllers... Help?

WingedApple

Smash Rookie
Really? 15% smaller than a normal controller? I guess I might be mistaken.

It sounds exactly like what a third party controller would do. It would have to be beaten up pretty bad for a Nintendo controller to do that.

I'm really baffled. Are you sure it doesn't say Madcatz or something?

If it is a first party controller then you must have got unlucky.
It says GameStop. Oh god, I can't believe I didn't realize the name when I bought it.

I was more obsessed about how it looked than how it functioned at the time. ****it.

pdk

Smash Lord
speaking of which, which chain stores still stock first-party cube controllers?

Elen

Smash Lord
speaking of which, which chain stores still stock first-party cube controllers?
I'm not sure if they still stock them but Ebgames/Gamestop seem to always have them when I'm there.

You should try X+Y+Start for 3 seconds to see if you can get this controller to work, but you should really just go buy a 1st party controller.

Ornj

Smash Journeyman
Well, about 3 weeks ago I bought this new controller. It was cordless and said it was 15% smaller than the one a gamecube normally comes with.. And a day ago, I started noticing that it was malfuctioning. Whenever I want to choose a character for melee the hand (the hand on the screen) either drifts upward or downward, even if I don't touch the joystick. Now when I play a melee battle Peach automatically crouches when I try to run or dash... When I was blasted of the stage I used peach's Up+B umbrella move.. and just before I got on the stage I let go of the joystick and I fell because it goes downward on its own..

The controller has fallen a few times, one time my brother threw it to the ceiling and it fell, but I didn't notice any changes after. When I play, sometimes my hands start to sweat and stuff, but it doesn't actually seek into the controller.

Does anyone know how to fix this? I don't plan on buying another controller anytimes soon...

The funny thing is, I wasn't really use to fastfalling, but now the controller does it for me!:chuckle:

Thanks in advance.

LOL i have a wireless controller that does the EXACT same thing, and its funny because sumtimes when i press left/right, it goes the other direction then goes the right way, and lloks like the char moonwalks :chuckle: ,lol if i could do that on command it would be the best mindgame ever!!!

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Chances are, it's Madcatz. The worst company for 3rd party anything. If you bought a 3rd party controller expect it's life to be short or expect all of your sessions with that crappy control to be a fight inside the game and out.

mark.

Smash Journeyman
did you try x+y+start?

what it does, is it resets the center of the controller, so if the joystick is holding down slightly, it will reset it so that the down facing joystick is the new center (hope that made sense)

but if anything, get a nintendo controller. BTW a third party controller is a controller made by.. a third party lol (any company other than nintendo, or sony for ps2, ect.)

WingedApple

Smash Rookie
Yep it's MadCatz. I'm going to smash those people... oh well..

I got this other non wireless controller too, and it also broke.
The controller that comes with the gamecube is still alive but now my brother has honey stuck inside the b button. But it's only a thin layer of it. Whenever my hand gets warm it melts the honey and makes it sticky, but when I stop playing it cools. So I can only play for like, 10-20 minutes.

WingedApple

Smash Rookie
did you try x+y+start?

what it does, is it resets the center of the controller, so if the joystick is holding down slightly, it will reset it so that the down facing joystick is the new center (hope that made sense)

but if anything, get a nintendo controller. BTW a third party controller is a controller made by.. a third party lol (any company other than nintendo, or sony for ps2, ect.)
When would I press X+Y+Start?
When I'm choosing a character? Or in a game?

Spoon Man

Smash Apprentice
yeah madcatz = suck.
just go to whatever local gamestore you have and look for one of the default ones that says "Nintendo gamecube" on it. They're only 30 bucks or something nowadays and i know that Gamestop gets new ones in with their regular shipments so it shouldn't be too hard to get a new one.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Yep, although the Nintendo controllers are more expensive than 3rd party controllers they last way longer, the controller I got with my GC is 3 years old [it outlived my GC, R.I.P. GC] only has 1 problem and that's the fact that my C-stick top rubbed off [hey I don't play with it, my friends do]

Top Bottom