• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

controller johns are not always an excuse

Mr. Derp

Smash Apprentice
FORMALLY: Ryu777 ...OLD POST COUNT: around 500
well, actuaully... they still are and you should never whine in this game. what I really meant to say is that sometimes cotrollers really are whats messing up. heres my story:

It all started when the z button on my favorite controller, a wavebird, simply stopped working. so instead of doing jump-canceled grabs I would do full jumped fairs, and instead of holding the light shield when I held z, my char would put up his shield, let it down, grab, lightshield again, etc. Magnebula came over a week or so after it stopped working and after one match he said to just stop using it so I picked up my other wavebird and played horribly (I could only fastfall my shl half the time :p ) But I just thought I was having a bad day and didnt think anything of the change I'd made

Then, just yesterday another buddy came over (using my oldest controller, the one I first had when I played smash at launch) and we smashed and it was pathetic! I was doing full jumps instead of wavedashing, I couldnt rshl, I couldnt fast fall my shl's, it was like I regressed my playing skill by a half of a year. I actually got so depressed that I considered giving up falco, I mean, what kind of falco cant shl or waveshine. so we went out bowling with some other friends (which was a moral booster cause I bowled the best games of my life :) )

but I went home and decided to just play around and fix w/e I was doing, so i just picked up the wired controller and was immedaiately back to being ablke shjl waveshine and combo and now play fine thanks to having a broken in controller again.

the moral of the story: next time your buddy johns about the controller igve him the benefit of the doubt, but if he complains more than once tell him to shut the hell up.

Zink

Smash Champion
For some reason Falcos have problems when using a controller they're not used to. I dunno why Falco in particular, but that's how it rolls. Maybe it's because we're noobs.

Eci4

Smash Ace
i can use any controller probably because we dont do BYOC when i play smash with friends so I randomly grab one of my controllers (Im one of 2 of us who have gamecubes...)

I think ill start using a single controller...

as for controller johns... one of my friends does them all the time so one day I just went out and bought a new controller (I needed one anyway) and brought it (in the plastic case) and told him he could not complain... he found other stuff to john about though...

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
Yeah, I'm always playing with some random controller b/c my friends at school play on my cube. Sometimes it takes me a match or two to adjust, but I 've never had any problems as severe Derp.

Pneuma

Smash Ace
Pfft, I could play with half a controller and using my feet and still not make any johns.

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
I've been told that my controller is perfect for Fox. I can't use any controller but my own when playing, and I'm surprised my controller is still in good shape (minus the absence of paint under the X button and where your fingers wrap around) considering the speed at which I play. New controllers screw me up because of their tendency to snap back perfectly, and stiff buttons.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
"The wavebird was too heavy" - John Curry. He told me that, after he lost to me in a tournament. Absouletely no type of johns should be taken.

Eaode

Smash Champion
last wednesday i was at my friends house, but i forgot to bring my controller. Needless to say I played like ****. I couldn't fastfall, the R button worked half of the time, and the cstick was conpletely unresponsive. It sucked.

Schweppes

Smash Ace
Solution: Buy a new controller. They're only like 15$ and you'll get used to it before you know it.

@Zink- Falcos need a 'broken-in' controller more because lasers and reverse-lasers especially require precise control stick movements. You don't want to phantasm accidentally. :(

Fumble

Smash Cadet
If you have to adapt to your opponents gamestyle, then you should be able to adap to a crappy controller :)

Razed

Smash Ace
^^ Duuuude I think that was your 1000th post. GG!

Anyway, controllers do make a difference, but people who complain about not having their controller when playing with a completely functional one of the same type is just dumb.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Wow.
How do you "break a controller in?" The only controller I've ever had problems with is my black one where the R button is loose.
O, and I swear SSB is easier to play on the console. Project 64k screws me up when I play online. Sigh.

Tainted_Love

Smash Rookie
I know using a differant Controler than the one I'm used to definitley screws me up. I have to play with it for awile before I can start doing anything correctley again. Those of you who can just pick up any controler and play well with it, I envy you >__<. It may be that I'm a Fox player but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it or not.

The 5th Police

Smash Journeyman
Man, I have been threw at least 7 game cube controllers just because of smash. Each one of them screwed me in every match. One controller's stick was so messed up that when you try to move forward with your character your character would shop hop 0.0. Plus, there was a match where I was going to win it. I saw my friend was C.Falcon and he did falcon punch. While he did it I held my shield thinking when it was going to save me, instead I jumped out and took it to the grill and lost the match lol. Other than that I think controllers are some of the reasons why people lose.

Top Bottom