• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Controller grip and c-stick

Pumpkin

Smash Rookie
So I finally accepted I need to learn to use the c-stick for ariels if I want to improve my puff. However I'm realizing that I can't consistently jump and get 2 bairs in before I hit the ground with the standard grip, because moving my thumb from X/Y to the c-stick is too slow. I'm trying out a claw grip where I hit y with my index finger and have my thumb over the c-stick. I'm a lot more consistent, but the grip is pretty uncomfortable so I'm not sure I could play like this consistently.

Anyone else have this issue/tips to get around it?

Sprankles

Smash Rookie
I use that grip on my puff. If you're holding it like the picture on the left, you're finger will get sore. The right picture grip allows you to use your index finger more naturally by pulling it against the y button diagonally instead of jerking it to the side. Also, don't try to wrap your pinky and ring fingers around the bottom of the controller. It puts your hand in a weird contorted position that gets painful after about three minutes. Just let the lower fingers on your right hand rest in line with the others and keep your hand relaxed.

Hope this helps :p

Pumpkin

Smash Rookie
I use that grip on my puff. If you're holding it like the picture on the left, you're finger will get sore. The right picture grip allows you to use your index finger more naturally by pulling it against the y button diagonally instead of jerking it to the side. Also, don't try to wrap your pinky and ring fingers around the bottom of the controller. It puts your hand in a weird contorted position that gets painful after about three minutes. Just let the lower fingers on your right hand rest in line with the others and keep your hand relaxed.

Hope this helps :p
Thanks for the advice (with pics!), I'd been going back and forth which way of holding my index. I'll try holding it like the right pic for a few days of casual play, and see how my hand feels. Thanks!

Pumpkin

Smash Rookie
The grip is working great. It feels a lot more fluid than a standard grip for c-sticking. Maybe my hands are exceptionally slow, but if you're finding that in a full jump and 2 bairs the second bair hits low, I'd definitely recommend trying out this grip. Thanks again Sprankles.

Sprankles

Smash Rookie
You're welcome man. Welcome to the claw club. :D

Another thing I love about the grip besides the aerial control your talking about, is how much it can improve rest combo execution. Claw decreases your reaction time on rests since you no longer have to move your thumb between jump and b. I think one of the reasons HBox jumping with the control stick works so well for him is because it's basically accomplishing the same thing claw does by leaving his right thumb free from jumping.

LetGoOfMyBread

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 8515 9783 4204
Personally, flicking the analog stick to jump/short hop and using the c-stick normally has yet to become an issue.

Top Bottom