• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Consistent ledgedashing

SandwichSundays

Smash Rookie
I've been practicing ledgedashes a lot lately. It's something I have to keep coming back to and grinding out because of how difficult they can be and how costly missing one is. Here are some things I've found out by trial and error that other players might find helpful.
  • Don't fastfall from the ledge (obviously). Hold the control stick away from the ledge to fall instead, or alternatively you can use the c-stick to fall from the ledge. I had trouble consistently doing the latter because it's really easy to accidentally do an aerial this way.
  • Jump immediately after leaving ledge. There's a trick to this that makes it a lot easier to avoid doing an accidental tournament winner. Falco makes a sound when he grabs the ledge that comes in two parts (UH-WEH). If you practice jumping as soon as you hear the second part of that sound, you'll get it every time.
  • You should wait just a little bit between the jump and the waveland. You're not wavedashing on the ground, so there's no need to get that frame-perfect wavedash timing. You need to give yourself time to make it over the ledge first and foremost to avoid SDing.
  • Do a neutral jump instead of backwards jump. This might be more important than anything with Falco's ledgedash. For some reason Falco's character model takes longer to get over the ledge during his back jump, which will cause you to air dodge face-first into the ledge. After letting go of the ledge and before jumping let the control stick go back to neutral. This makes the waveland angle easier imo.
That's all I've got for now. If anyone else has more advice/tips I'd appreciate hearing it.

Jayners

Smash Rookie
What helped me a lot was just going into debug mode in 20xx and figuring out the frame data for ledgedashing and using the replay mode to see exactly how it plays out in real time.

What I've found is:

LedgeCatch 7 frames > Ledgewait frame 0 > drop from ledge on frame 0 > next available frame jump > jump animation for 3 frames perfect wavedash on stage

If you don't get a near perfect wave dash angle you need to wait til frame 4 or you will airdodge and SD.

*Edit* I'm still pretty new to this, so if someone has better data please correct me

Last edited:

Jayners

Smash Rookie
Sorry for the double post, but I think it's worth it.

I uploaded some videos on YouTube showing the ledge dashes for both a single firestall and double firestall.

I did this because I know I personally learn quickly by ear, and hearing the timing for when to let go of the ledge, when to airdodge, and all that in realtime is very helpful. It's also here for all those who don't have access to 20xx/Debug mode
Single Firestall:

Double Firestall:
Single Firestall SLOW:

Double Firestall SLOW:

I listen for the grab ledge sound (The ugh-oo sound) and right after I hear the "oo" sound I let go of ledge and jump. Then I just envision the timing for about where the airdodge should be.

Last edited:

SandwichSundays

Smash Rookie
Sorry for the double post, but I think it's worth it.

I uploaded some videos on YouTube showing the ledge dashes for both a single firestall and double firestall.

I did this because I know I personally learn quickly by ear, and hearing the timing for when to let go of the ledge, when to airdodge, and all that in realtime is very helpful. It's also here for all those who don't have access to 20xx/Debug mode

Single Firestall:

Double Firestall:

I listen for the grab ledge sound (The ugh-oo sound) and right after I hear the "oo" sound I let go of ledge and jump. Then I just envision the timing for about where the airdodge should be.
Wow that's awesome! The video examples are great. If you don't mind the suggestion, maybe add a clip of the TAS sequence slowed down to ~3fps for clarification. Great work, though.

Jayners

Smash Rookie
Wow that's awesome! The video examples are great. If you don't mind the suggestion, maybe add a clip of the TAS sequence slowed down to ~3fps for clarification. Great work, though.
Good idea, I just reuploaded the vids about 8x slower (7.5 FPS) and edited the other post

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
I think whatever ledge dash method gets you invincibility and consistency is fine. I personally hold down to drop and use nothing but the control stick. And I've heard people use just about all the combinations to make it work. Everyone's gonna have different preferences, so it's best just to do whatever you have the most success with rather than what other people claim is the best method.

Top Bottom