• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connection issues

Spark31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spark311
3DS FC
4940-5914-5196
So, I just got a wii U recently, and have been having many issues with my internet connection in smash. Whenever I use my wifi connection, It get a lot of frame rate lag along with input lag online. Whenever I play online while using a wired connection, I just get input lag. However, asking for help on these issues without giving specs will get me nowhere, so I will post speed test results from testmy.net

Computer basic connection
testmy.net download: 40 mbps
testmy.net upload: 4.5 mbps

WII U Basic connection (Wired)
testmy.net download: 16 mbps
testmy.net upload: 2.6 mbps

Notice how my internet is almost halved on WII U, even when wired? It would be great to know what it is. Having 4.5 mbps upload is MUCH better than 2.6 mbps for sending inputs. I have a few ideas on what the issue may be, but these are speculation. I don't wanna buy new wires, realize it's not the issue, and end up wasting my money.

Possible issues?
  • I'm using a CAT6 45 ft cable.
  • I'm using a 3rd party LAN to USB cable.
  • I'm connecting this cable into a switch as opposed to directly to the router
Does anyone know if these could actually be issues?
Also, if I'm posting this in the wrong section, I have no clue where else I would put it.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
I don't think anything you've done is something you'll have to worry about.Those speeds are impressive on the Wii U. I have similar internet speeds and I'm only getting about half that down, and about the same up, on my Wii U. I almost never get lag, and when I do I can tell it's my opponent. (I go play against others and it's phenomenal. I've even had good speeds against players in Japan!)

One thing to look at would be your Ping speed, as that could be the problem. Down and Up speeds are more about the amount per second you are capable of sending and not exactly how fast it gets there. If your ping speed is too high, then it's possible the lines to your place aren't the best (or in the walls) or your provider just doesn't have the best quality.

The switch maybe a problem, though most don't actually slowdown wired connections. If you have other stuff attached to the switch that are bandwidth hungry, you may see some issues but normally a switch is the right thing to use when extending from a router but needing more than one connection.

Do you have anything that could be 'hogging' the connection? Other computers that are always on, room mates that love to web surf for stuff, etc. If that is the case, then you just might not have the bandwidth locally to support an online fighter while doing those other things. Obviously I'm spit-balling here, but I'm hoping it gets you thinking.

Edit: and this would have been ideal to post on the Online forums. I wanted to give you a heads up before the moderators do. Maybe they can move it for you. :joyful:

Last edited:

Spark31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spark311
3DS FC
4940-5914-5196
Upon testing my ping on my WII U using bandwidthplace.com, I'm actually getting better ping on it than my PC, getting 3 ms ping on my WII U, while I'm getting 5 ms ping on my PC 0,o. However, it is probably a good thing to note that there are a HUGE amount of internet connected devices in my house. Being in a family of five, all with tech backgrounds, might be the issue. We have 3 desktops, 2 rokus, at least 3 tablets, probably at least two laptops, esc. It doesn't help that none of the other people in my household find the need to close any of they're thousands of tabs after they're done with them. I probably should have figured bandwidth was the issue 0.0. I'll try testing it when everyone is gone (Online matches with nothing else on that is).

Last edited:

DeathlyFerret

Smash Apprentice
Does this happen in friend battles or For Glory? Because if its on FG it could be other players with a bad connection.

DeathlyFerret

Smash Apprentice
So far it's been with everyone 0,o
Well, jeez, that kinda sucks... Try this out and see if it helps.

1. Type in your default gateway into your browser's search bar. This should open up your Router Setup.
-To find your default gateway, you must find the "Run" application. It's whereabouts vary based on the computer you're using. I suggest you simply google where to find it.
-Type in "cmd" and press enter. You should get a black window with a little info on your computer.
-In the black window, type in "ipconfig." Your default gateway among other info should appear.
2. Go to your Wii U's Internet Connection Setup and follow these instructions...
-Go to IP address.
-Click "Don't Auto Obtain."
-Make sure all of the information is correct (IP address, etc.). You can do this by checking the black "cmd" window.
-Change the IP address on your Wii U: Add 10 to the final number.
Example:
Original Address-000.000.0.3
New Wii U Address- 000.000.000.013
-Save the changes and exit your settings.
3. Return to the Router Setup on your computer and follow these instructions...
-Find the "DMZ" link. This is usually located under "Firewall".
-If you are asked to input a password, do not input anything; just click submit. This is allowed, for some reason...
-You should see a box that says "Static IP" and "Private IP."
-Input your Wii U's new IP address into "Private IP."
Example:
Wii U's New Address-000.000.000.013
Input into "Private IP"-000.000.0.13
-If there is an "Enable" "Allow" or "Permit" box, make sure to check it.
-Click "Apply/Save Changes."

4. Finally, perform a connection test on your Wii U. If it works out, test your connection on For Glory.

This method worked wonders for me. My connection was abysmal before I did this, now it runs fine, which is cool because my internet is total butt.
Tell me if it works or if you need clarification or something.

Last edited:

Spark31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spark311
3DS FC
4940-5914-5196
Been a while. haven't been able to test this coz I've been working the past few weeks. That said I have this week off and would like it working by the time tournament mode hits. Anyways, apon testing this it doesn't work the exact same with my router.. Trying to figure out how to make it work.

Top Bottom