• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecting to Wii with AT&T wireless DSL?

Shweex

Smash Cadet
Recently, my parents decided it was a good (horrible) idea to switch from broadband to wireless AT&T DSL.
Because my dad is obsessive over the security if our network (recently a virus was sent throughout 2 of our 5 computers because he was dumb enough to download a random spam email, then blame it on our "unsecure network"), I am no longer able to connect to our Wii, and unlike with our old internet, I don't know how to even GET INTO our wireless network to open the right ports.

Of all things computer-releated, routers/opening ports are by a long shot my least knowledgeable. Would anyone be able to help me out, or at least direct me to a place that can help me out? I'm completely router-ignorant and basically need to know, step-by-step, how to get my Wii online.

EDIT: Someone from another forum helped me solve this, so never mind.

YinYang.ERROR

Smash Journeyman
First off Wireless internet is less secure than hardwired.

Second no encryption that protects your wireless router from unauthorized access is going to protect you from a virus. (you need an anti virus for that.)

Now third you can connect your Wii to the internet using the wifi-router that AT&T should have gave you. Just make sure it is using a WEP encryption as the Wii does not support WPA or WPA2 wireless encryption schemes.

here is a tutorial I found that may help you.
http://tutorialninjas.net/2007/06/24/setup-your-wii-for-web-browsing/

Top Bottom