• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Confused about whether Z-cancelling is a "glitch/exploit" or not.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
I've heard many people defend both of these possiblities, some with convincing arguments. It seems, however, that most people on these boards have concluded that Z-cancelling was an exploit in ssb64 that the design team carried over to melee.

I just saw this post, though, the poster presents some pretty convincing evidence that it is actually NOT a glitch/exploit.

http://smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=2780377&postcount=36

Thoughts? Anyone have the answer? .... I'm confused.

DreDay

Smash Journeyman
SSB wanted to be so unique from other fighters , 1st with the knocking off stage then making us cancel our own air moves.In any other fighting game all air attacks auto cancel.

Just felt like saying that.

nesshero

Smash Cadet
"land with style" might have just meant teching; teching is actually in the original ssb instruction manual (but not given a name).

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
I know the old official Japanese SSB site had L-canceling on it. I saw it myself.

_kSo_

Smash Master
anything that can be done consistently and not under specific circumstances is not a glitch. i dont think that zc/zt and sh'ing are glitches however i think taunt canceling IS...0_o

okaygo

Smash Journeyman
We went over this with ant-d, tapping Z or R when hitting the ground was most likely included in the game. Search for 'what is r canceling'

ant-d

Smash Lord
Oxford English Dictionary said:
glitch

noun, informal
1. a sudden malfunction or irregularity of equipment.
2. an unexpected setback in a plan.
unexpected

adjective
1. not expected or regarded as likely to happen.
setback

• noun
1. a reversal or check in progress.
doubt it

exploit

• verb /iksployt/
1. make good use of (a resource).
2. make use of unfairly; benefit unjustly from the work of.

• noun /eksployt/
1. a bold or daring feat.
yeah

pdk

Smash Lord
SSB wanted to be so unique from other fighters , 1st with the knocking off stage then making us cancel our own air moves.In any other fighting game all air attacks auto cancel.
air specials/supers don't cancel their own lag

; )

okaygo

Smash Journeyman
ant-d your definition of 'exploit' is out of context. People exploit z-canceling because it benefits the player. However it was not an unexpected exploit, nor a glitch. It is just as exploited as short hopping.

okaygo

Smash Journeyman
Read my post again.
I fully understand it, but in this context (read the title), I believe the question was: is it a glitch that is exploited; the answer is no.

It is exploited, but that has nothing to do with the question posed. However you did answer the question, it is not a glitch. We went over this in a big old thread.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
I learned about Z-Canceling from the official smashbros site way back when lol

Top Bottom