• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Concept] Super Smash Bros. for SNES

likiji123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Likiji123
3DS FC
2964-9225-5942
I have been having this idea for a while now a decided to share it with you guys
PS: this (if its made) uses snes controllers and the snes hardware and palette
DISCLAIMER: This is just a concept, i dont even know if i would be able to make it

MECHANICS
Wave Dash - just press Down+Left/Right and X (or Y) and R at the same time (no special timing needed)
Game Speed - It will be the same speed as 64
Ledge - Only one person can hold onto a ledge at a time

BUTTONS/CONTROLS
A Button - Tilts and Neutral moves (no smashes)
B Button - Specials (no changes)
X Button - Jump
Y Button - Jump

Left/Right - walk
Double tap left/right - run

Start - Pause (move camera option may not work)
Select (Dev Version) - Debug options (Hit boxes etc.)
Select (Normal Version) - Taunt?

R Button - Shield (Shield Rolling and Spot Dodge)
L Button - Unique attack (Left/right, up, down and neutral. different moves depending on the character)

UNIQUE IDEAS
Smash Studio - Mode where you can change the characters colours and change to an alternative moveset for example, Mario to Dr.Mario. You can also set certain stages to a Flat stage.

CHARACTERS

MARIO
Costume Design - Super Mario World's Design

A Button - Same moves as in other smash games
Aerials - Same moves as in other smash games
B Button - Same moves as in other smash games (may make a few differences)

L Button - Smash attacks from Melee

Alt Mario - DR.MARIO
Costume Design - Same as Melee

A Button - Same as in Melee
Aerials - Same as in Melee
B Button - Same as in Melee

LINK
Costume Design - His Design from LINK TO THE PAST (Official art, not in game )

A Button - A combination of 64 and Melee
Aerials - A Combination of 64 and Melee
B Button - Up - Kinda like his Up B from other smash games but only spins twice where the first spin it hits but when you spin the second time the opponents get blown away
Down - ???
Neutral - Bow
Side - Bomb Arrow

L Button - Shield maneuver where link can use his shield
Up - ???
Down - ???
Neutral - Hold's his shield up for 1 second and can block projectiles
Side - push his shield towards and if an opponent gets hit you can link to another move after it

Alt Link - ???
Costume Design - ???

A Button - ???
Aerials - ???
B Button - ???

L Button - ???

KIRBY
Costume Design - normal

A Button - Same as Melee and 64
Aerials - Same as 64 and Smash 4
B Button - Up - Cutter (same as other smash games, and gets stronger when in the Cutter mode)
Down - Rock (same as other smash games, and gets stronger when in the Rock mode)
Neutral - Absorb (same as other smash games)
Side - Hammer (when in the air Kirby spins around while holding the hammer but on the ground he can charge it up, and gets stronger when in the Hammer Mode)

L Button - Kirby uses the powers of bad guys from Kirby's games to either power him up or give him new moves but if you get hit you lose it
Up - Cutter Kirby (Kirby will use a sword for certain Moves and his Up B gets stronger
Down - Rock Kirby (Kirby's moves will become more powerful but slower and his Down B gets stronger)
Neutral - Instant Absorb (Kirby will gain certain moves from a character until he gets hurt, the moves will be chosen randomly from what character the game chose)
Side - Hammer Kirby (Some moves will use the hammer and his Side B gets stronger)

Alt Kirby - META KNIGHT
Costume Design - Normal

A Button - Same as Smash 4
Aerials - Same as Smash 4
B Button - Up - Same as Smash 4
Down - Same as Smash 4
Neutral - Same as Smash 4
Side - Same as smash 4

L Button - depending on what arrow you press Meta Knight will teleport a short distance, however after you use it you enter a state where you cant recover

FOX
Costume Design - His Design from STAR FOX (SNES)

Aerials - A mix between 4 and Melee
B Button - Up - A combination of the fox illusion and fire fox to make it a quick, multi directional fire dash
Down - Shine (not sure how to change it)
Neutral - Lasers (same as other smash games)
Side - ???

L Button - ???

Alt Fox - FALCO

A Button - A mix between Melee and Brawl
Aerials - A mix between Melee and Brawl
B Button - Up - Regular version of fire fox
Down - Shine (Same As Melee)
Neutral - Lasers (Same as Melee)
Side - Fox illusion (Same as Melee)

L Button - ???

SAMUS
Costume Design - Super Metroid Samus (Orange)

A Button - Mix Between 64 And Brawl
Aerials - Mix Between 64 And Brawl
B Button - Up - Screw Attack
Down - Morph Ball Bomb (if you double tap down before pressing B you will use the power bomb)
Side - Missile (If you double tap left and then use B you will use the super missiles)
Neutral - Charge Shot (Same as other smash games)

L Button - Different things (Up is the same as project m)
Up - Ice beam (transform all fire attacks to ice themed attacks
Down - ???
Neutral - A charge shot that charges longer but you have to stay still (if you fully charge you will use the zero laser)
Side - Shine Spark (you hold L side and move around, you will charge it up and once its finished you can perform a Shine Spark

Alt Samus - SAMUS
Costume Design - Same

A Button - Same
Aerials - same
B Button - Same

L Button - Gains the ability to use the morph ball
Up (during morph ball mode) - you boost up a bit
Down (during morph ball mode - you plant a morph ball bomb that will stick to opponents
Neutral - Transform into Morph ball mode (and in morph ball mode you exit it)
Side - (during morph ball mode) Morph ball boost - boost you forwards

CAPTAIN FALCON
Costume Design - the outfit captain falcon uses in F-ZERO for the SNES (instruction Manual)

A Button - A Mix between Melee and 64
Aerials - A Mix between Melee and 64
B Button - Up - Same as Other Smash games
Down - Falcon Kick (May Change)
Neutral - Falcon Punch
Side - Raptor Boost (Same as Smash 4)

L Button - ???

Alt Captain Falcon - ???
A Button - ???
B Button - ???

L Button - ???

That's all i have so far, i hope you enjoy it

Last edited:

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
well every other smash game has 2 jump buttons and people may hit x or y depending on whats feels good for them
I still find this control scheme pointless. I would have had it like this.

B: Jump
Y: Basic Attack
X: Special Attack
A: Grab/Throw
L/R: Shield
Select: Taunt

Ultresmasher5

Smash Journeyman
Why is Meta Knight a alt costume for Kirby? Meta Knight has next to no similarities to Kirby aside from his body shape. That would be like Knuckles being an alt for Sonic. :glare:

likiji123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Likiji123
3DS FC
2964-9225-5942
Why is Meta Knight a alt costume for Kirby? Meta Knight has next to no similarities to Kirby aside from his body shape. That would be like Knuckles being an alt for Sonic. :glare:
Good point, though it really isnt an alt costume more like an alternative version of the character that has some aspecs of the original character but adds new things or changes a couple of things form the original character

Ladida

Smash Rookie
ironically, i've recently started development on a smash game for the snes. as i have very little done, i can't show off anything (perhaps i'll post a thread once i have enough done)

my plan is not to create a "prequel", or a clone of another smash, but to make a smash game with it's own identity (create a smash for the snes, not for the snes back in 1994). in that sense, the only limits i'm placing is whatever limits the snes places (no true dynamic camera, wiimote-esque controls, etc)

title would be Super Super Smash Bros.

Ultresmasher5

Smash Journeyman
ironically, i've recently started development on a smash game for the snes. as i have very little done, i can't show off anything (perhaps i'll post a thread once i have enough done)

my plan is not to create a "prequel", or a clone of another smash, but to make a smash game with it's own identity (create a smash for the snes, not for the snes back in 1994). in that sense, the only limits i'm placing is whatever limits the snes places (no true dynamic camera, wiimote-esque controls, etc)

title would be Super Super Smash Bros.
Awesome awesome awesome!

I'll do anything I can do to help with something like that (pretty much just ideas and testing)

I LOVE retro-indie titles.

Ultresmasher5

Smash Journeyman
It's a demake

Because it's making a game like an older game, effectively making the game worse by removing what decent aspects it did have
Wouldn't also call P:M a demake too then? It's adding the decent aspects of 64, not removing the good ones from brawl. :facepalm:
OK, I'm done. This is getting off-topic.

Mr Blokes

Smash Cadet
I have been having this idea for a while now a decided to share it with you guys
PS: this (if its made) uses snes controllers and the snes hardware and palette
DISCLAIMER: This is just a concept, i dont even know if i would be able to make it

MECHANICS
Wave Dash - just press Down+Left/Right and X (or Y) and R at the same time (no special timing needed)
Game Speed - It will be the same speed as 64
Ledge - Only one person can hold onto a ledge at a time

BUTTONS/CONTROLS
A Button - Tilts and Neutral moves (no smashes)
B Button - Specials (no changes)
X Button - Jump
Y Button - Jump

Left/Right - walk
Double tap left/right - run

Start - Pause (move camera option may not work)
Select (Dev Version) - Debug options (Hit boxes etc.)
Select (Normal Version) - Taunt?

R Button - Shield (Shield Rolling and Spot Dodge)
L Button - Unique attack (Left/right, up, down and neutral. different moves depending on the character)

UNIQUE IDEAS
Smash Studio - Mode where you can change the characters colours and change to an alternative moveset for example, Mario to Dr.Mario. You can also set certain stages to a Flat stage.

CHARACTERS

MARIO
Costume Design - Super Mario World's Design

A Button - Same moves as in other smash games
Aerials - Same moves as in other smash games
B Button - Same moves as in other smash games (may make a few differences)

Alt Mario - DR.MARIO

A Button - Same as in Melee
Aerials - Same as in Melee
B Button - Same as in Melee

LINK
Costume Design - His Design from LINK TO THE PAST (Official art, not in game )

Aerials - A Combination of 64 and Melee
B Button - Up - Kinda like his Up B from other smash games but only spins twice where the first spin it hits but when you spin the second time the opponents get blown away
Down - ???
Neutral - Bow
Side - Bomb Arrow

L Button - Shield maneuver where link can use his shield
Up - ???
Down - ???
Neutral - Hold's his shield up for 1 second and can block projectiles
Side - push his shield towards and if an opponent gets hit you can link to another move after it

Alt Link - ???
Costume Design - ???

A Button - ???
Aerials - ???
B Button - ???

L Button - ???

KIRBY
Costume Design - normal

A Button - Same as Melee and 64
Aerials - Same as 64 and Smash 4
B Button - Up - Cutter (same as other smash games, and gets stronger when in the Cutter mode)
Down - Rock (same as other smash games, and gets stronger when in the Rock mode)
Neutral - Absorb (same as other smash games)
Side - Hammer (when in the air Kirby spins around while holding the hammer but on the ground he can charge it up, and gets stronger when in the Hammer Mode)

L Button - Kirby uses the powers of bad guys from Kirby's games to either power him up or give him new moves but if you get hit you lose it
Up - Cutter Kirby (Kirby will use a sword for certain Moves and his Up B gets stronger
Down - Rock Kirby (Kirby's moves will become more powerful but slower and his Down B gets stronger)
Neutral - Instant Absorb (Kirby will gain certain moves from a character until he gets hurt, the moves will be chosen randomly from what character the game chose)
Side - Hammer Kirby (Some moves will use the hammer and his Side B gets stronger)

Alt Kirby - META KNIGHT
Costume Design - Normal

A Button - Same as Smash 4
Aerials - Same as Smash 4
B Button - Up - Same as Smash 4
Down - Same as Smash 4
Neutral - Same as Smash 4
Side - Same as smash 4

L Button - depending on what arrow you press Meta Knight will teleport a short distance, however after you use it you enter a state where you cant recover

FOX
Costume Design - His Design from STAR FOX (SNES)

Aerials - A mix between 4 and Melee
B Button - Up - A combination of the fox illusion and fire fox to make it a quick, multi directional fire dash
Down - Shine (not sure how to change it)
Neutral - Lasers (same as other smash games)
Side - ???

L Button - ???

Alt Fox - FALCO

A Button - A mix between Melee and Brawl
Aerials - A mix between Melee and Brawl
B Button - Up - Regular version of fire fox
Down - Shine (Same As Melee)
Neutral - Lasers (Same as Melee)
Side - Fox illusion (Same as Melee)

L Button - ???

SAMUS
Costume Design - Super Metroid Samus (Orange)

A Button - Mix Between 64 And Brawl
Aerials - Mix Between 64 And Brawl
B Button - Up - Screw Attack
Down - Morph Ball Bomb (if you double tap down before pressing B you will use the power bomb)
Side - Missile (If you double tap left and then use B you will use the super missiles)
Neutral - Charge Shot (Same as other smash games)

L Button - Different things (Up is the same as project m)
Up - Ice beam (transform all fire attacks to ice themed attacks
Down - ???
Neutral - A charge shot that charges longer but you have to stay still (if you fully charge you will use the zero laser)
Side - Shine Spark (you hold L side and move around, you will charge it up and once its finished you can perform a Shine Spark

Alt Samus - SAMUS
Costume Design - Same

A Button - Same
Aerials - same
B Button - Same

L Button - Gains the ability to use the morph ball
Up (during morph ball mode) - you boost up a bit
Down (during morph ball mode - you plant a morph ball bomb that will stick to opponents
Neutral - Transform into Morph ball mode (and in morph ball mode you exit it)
Side - (during morph ball mode) Morph ball boost - boost you forwards

CAPTAIN FALCON
Costume Design - the outfit captain falcon uses in F-ZERO for the SNES (instruction Manual)

A Button - A Mix between Melee and 64
Aerials - A Mix between Melee and 64
B Button - Up - Same as Other Smash games
Down - Falcon Kick (May Change)
Neutral - Falcon Punch
Side - Raptor Boost (Same as Smash 4)

L Button - ???

Alt Captain Falcon - ???
A Button - ???
B Button - ???

L Button - ???

That's all i have so far, i hope you enjoy it
Sounds pretty good... More smash the better right?

TimSin

Smash Cadet
Wouldn't also call P:M a demake too then? It's adding the decent aspects of 64, not removing the good ones from brawl. :facepalm:
OK, I'm done. This is getting off-topic.
P:M is a unique combination between Melee and Brawl.

It's a demake

Because it's making a game like an older game, effectively making the game worse by removing what decent aspects it did have
A demake is remaking a newer game on older consoles. Hypothetical Examples: Brawl on N64 or Gamecube, Smash 64 on SNES or NES.

TimSin

Smash Cadet
Getting back to topic, this is very interesting. I wonder if anyone knows SNES programming, If they can put Smash on a TI84 Calculator, I think people can get Smash on SNES.

Russell_SSB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MrRussellgro
3DS FC
0662-7159-3567
Switch FC
SW-3345-3263-9133
Dude, this is some legit idea for a SNES game. I would love to see this bad boy in action, even if it were real as an actual game or a rom. Plus, I wonder the announcer would sound in the SNES version if he/she were there? Please make it!

It would be cool if Mr. Game & Watch would make it in.

D

Deleted member

The SNES is a ancient relic, if someone could all of the sudden implement a Smash Bros game designed for it... he would probably become a god who can do the unimaginable.

Well, i mean literally trying to play on a SNES emulator. You can go like Super Smash Land and design it for use on the PC but as if you are on a SNES.

Last edited by a moderator:

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
Great Idea, However there is one thing that you should change...
You are Missing the Grab technique. So possibly replace what's there with grab? again, good idea.

Last edited:

TimSin

Smash Cadet
I think this would look similar to SSF2, and can use Mode 7+ Super FX2 chip (one used in Yoshi's Island) to scale the screen for the camera.

likiji123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Likiji123
3DS FC
2964-9225-5942
Great Idea, However there is one thing that you should change...

You are Missing the Grab technique. So possibly replace what's there with grab? again, good idea.
You can do A + Shield which does a grab

also thanks to the other people who have visited recently and posted something

Last edited:

TimSin

Smash Cadet
Why not use most of the standard? A:Attack, B: Special, X/Y: Jump, R: Shield, L: Grab, Start: Pause, Select: Taunt, DPad: Move.

Top Bottom