• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Concept - Smash 64+ (?)

UltraRetroReviver

Smash Rookie
Hey, everyone. I'm Retro Reviver. I'm mostly a part of the Melee Community but I also play Smash 64 fairly often too (mostly due to speedrunning it).

Smash 64 is honestly my 2nd favourite Smash game. The combo-oriented gameplay is just draws me towards it. I want to get into Smash 64 competitive, but that's kind of hard when you're computer can't run the game at a good enough speed regardless whether it's online or offline and when your 64 cartridge's battery is dead, meaning it doesn't save, meaning having to unlock Item Switch every time.

Anyway, I'll end my rant and get directly to the point. There are usually three to four competitive Smash 64 stages. Dreamland, Peach's Castle, Kongo Jungle and, on occasion, Hyrule Castle. Honestly, the only stage here that can be considered as tournament viable in my opinion is Dreamland 64. Peach's Castle has the bumper, Kongo Jungle has the Barrel Canon and Hyrule 64 has the tornado. Aside from that, all the other stages are banned for various reasons (Zebes Acid, Wild Pokemon, etc.). There has been a tournament in the past where Dreamland was the only stage they were allowed to play on.

I want to create a modification of Smash 64 where all stages are tourney legal, yet, not use the pre-existing stages, if that makes sense. Here's the idea I had for a stage list.

Peach's Castle (No Bumper. Toggle-able)
Kongo Jungle (No Barrel Canon. Toggle-able)
Hyrule Castle (No Tornado. Toggle-able)
Metal Cavern
Yoshi's Story (No Clouds. Toggle-able)
Dreamland (Unedited. Toggle-able wind-less version maybe?)
How To Play
Battlefield (Fighting Polygon Stage)
Final Destination

If possible, perhaps also have Zebes, Sector Z, Mushroom Kingdom and Saffron City as other stages on the Stage Selection screen. I don't think it's possible since Smash 64 only has 9 stage slots.

To clarify, just add more possible legal stages than just the previously mentioned four. No character modifications or anything else. Just stages. Think of it like a Project M for Smash 64 with no moveset alternations. I want to create this, but I honestly have no experience with Smash 64 modding (I don't think anyone does, actually, sans for textures).

Can I please have some opinions on what people think of this?

Thanks for reading through this essay of a post.
Have a good day.
- Retro Reviver

Shears

Smash Master
Talk to jorgasms and madao if you want to get into modding, they are the two that have done the most. Correction though, there is only one currently legal stage and that is Dreamland.

Uair

Banned via Warnings
There is absolutely no reason why your computer shouldn't be able to run PJ64k. If you must then try Rice Video plugin and No Audio.

I was running PJ64k on 444mb of ram back in the day.

Treedot

Smash Journeyman
Metal Cavern, Battlefield, and Final Destination are currently considered to be not legal.

Metal Cavern has a weird stage shape that caters to some characters' horizontal combos. (:yoshi64:)
Battlefield has really stupid ledges and it makes it unnecessarily difficult for a lot of characters to recover.
Final Destination has a glitch where you can be teleported inside the stage and killed.

Maybe these things will be fixed in Ultra Smash Bros (19XXTE) but most likely not.

Capos

Smash Apprentice
Just to clarify, the hazards aren't why PC, KJ, or Hyrule are banned in tournaments, and removing them won't get them added back in.

Top Bottom