• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Computer Startup Problem

Maikeru17

What the hell is this thing
NNID
NoxNoctis
After turning off one of my machines, the tower stood powered on, but nothing showed on the monitor (as if it were in stand-by).
However, it wasn't actually in stand-by. I pressed and held the power button to turn the machine off, and then promptly pressed the button to turn the machine on.
The tower powered on, but nothing showed on the monitor itself.
After a few manual restarts and cable unplug-replugs, and eventually the tower stopped power up when I hit the power button.
BUT; I will say that the power supply isn't blow - power still reaches the HDD and processor, as well as the fans. In fact, the fans themselves stay turned on.
I'm unsure of whether or not the machine is in some sort of hibernate mode.

It almost appears as if the machine is half turned on, on a constant basis. :[ So long as the power cord is plugged in.

Any suggestions?
;_;

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Try reseting the CMOS.

Open up the case and look for a jumper near a battery. To get a good look at what they look like, google an image search for "cmos jumper". I think the third pic is pretty good. It's those three pins sicking up with a plastic piece covering two of the pins.

Pull the plug out from the back of the computer so that it's not connected in any way. Then take the plastic piece and move it down one spot. So that it looks kinda like --o instead of o--

Wait for like 15 seconds. Then move the jumper back to where it was before, and plug your computer back in and turn on.

The CMOS is a little part of your motherboard that holds some information that it needs to boot up. Also some other things like the real time clock. So you'll have to reset the clock. Sometimes something might get messed up and you have to reset the CMOS in order to boot again.

Good luck.

Maikeru17

NNID
NoxNoctis
Try reseting the CMOS.

Open up the case and look for a jumper near a battery. To get a good look at what they look like, google an image search for "cmos jumper". I think the third pic is pretty good. It's those three pins sicking up with a plastic piece covering two of the pins.

Pull the plug out from the back of the computer so that it's not connected in any way. Then take the plastic piece and move it down one spot. So that it looks kinda like --o instead of o--

Wait for like 15 seconds. Then move the jumper back to where it was before, and plug your computer back in and turn on.

The CMOS is a little part of your motherboard that holds some information that it needs to boot up. Also some other things like the real time clock. So you'll have to reset the clock. Sometimes something might get messed up and you have to reset the CMOS in order to boot again.

Good luck.

Well, I've located pretty much the only jumper in the area near the battery (and what looks like the rest of the mobo), and after switching it the way you suggested (as well as others); it remained the same.
:[
Thanks, though.

*edit*
D: Actually, now, the computer will "boot" when I hit the power button, but it returns to doing the stuff above.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Not getting any beeps? You could try removing your RAM. Without memory, the computer flips out and should beep at you. If it doesn't, then you've likely got a more serious problem.

Maikeru17

NNID
NoxNoctis
No beeps.

D: this is just so weird. I've never encountered anything like this - and I'm no where near computer illiterate.
It's annoying now. Dx

Top Bottom