• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Complimentary "Mains"

Matthew Rossi

Smash Rookie
I am currently maining Mario, but I am wondering what character(s) would be good complimentary picks? Mario seems to have certain matchups which really don't favor him: Rosalina and Zero Suit Samus come to mind. I'd love to beat everyone with Mario, but if the matchup ends up being lopsided enough, I'd like to have some alternates to compliment these discrepancies. Any input would be much appreciated.

D

Deleted member 269706

Just play around with all sorts of other characters. Fast, slow, projectile based, air fighters, and so on. I was just an Ike main, then I found myself enjoying characters like Falcon, Rosalina, Bowser Jr., Shulk and ZSS. I wouldn't choose a character simply based on "tier placement", choose them based on how you like them as a character and how much you like playing as them. If you want specific recommendations, I would say Falcon and Bowser Jr. would be good characters for you to experiment with.

Matthew Rossi

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the reply! I really appreciate the input! More specifically I'm looking for who might be good inverses of Mario? Like, if Mario struggles against Rosalina or ZSS, (considering how new the game is, this all might change) which characters match up well against those two, or characters of similar ilk? I'm not so concerned with tier lists. What tier is Mario anyways? Again, thank you very much!

D

Deleted member 269706

Hey no problem! I'm not enough of a Mario player to really tell you who the "inverse" is, but I'm sure the guys over at the Mario sub-forum could help! Here's a link: http://smashboards.com/forums/mario.385/ You could set up a new thread or ask in the social thread or something like that and I'm sure you'd get several answers. And it's really early in the game, so it's hard to say what tier he is, but he seems to be in the upper-middle tier. Anyways, good luck to ya, hope you find what you're looking for!

SilverOne777

Smash Cadet
NNID
SilverSlaughter
I am currently maining Mario, but I am wondering what character(s) would be good complimentary picks? Mario seems to have certain matchups which really don't favor him: Rosalina and Zero Suit Samus come to mind. I'd love to beat everyone with Mario, but if the matchup ends up being lopsided enough, I'd like to have some alternates to compliment these discrepancies. Any input would be much appreciated.
My 3 mains are Link, Samus, and Capn falcon.....Whenever I'm fighting someone good against projectiles(in samus' case) or really fast(in links case) I'll switch to capn falcon, as he doesn't do projectiles, and is relatively fast :)
It's defo good to know a wide variety of combat strategies to face certain players that usually smash you up.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
1. I look for characters that complement my specific likes.

2. I play, and learn where they differ from each other.

3. I choose based on a well rounded, diverse, yet connected decision process.

4. Repeat.

Still haven't perfected it, but its coming along.

Matthew Rossi

Smash Rookie
Thanks again everybody, I'll keep investigating this. I originally picked Mario because I've always been a huge Mario Bros. fan, but was never that good with him in Smash until this release. I used to be pretty good with DK in brawl, but I've had a lot of problems doing much with him so far in Wii U.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Maybe try someone like pocket Sheik?

But if you don't like pockets, Marth and Jiggly are always good for non-Mario gameplay.

I think.

Last edited:

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
As a falcon main, i had trouble with Rosaluma and DDD. Any other character i'd be fine against. So i'm working on sheik as a secondary because those needles can really disrupt the **** out of those two characters.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
As a falcon main, i had trouble with Rosaluma and DDD. Any other character i'd be fine against. So i'm working on sheik as a secondary because those needles can really disrupt the **** out of those two characters.
Needles can do what to Rosalina?

Luma just takes them

She just takes them

And it's scary

You do NOT want to fight Rosalina with Sheik.

SphyreYui

Smash Rookie
I just choose by playing the character that feels the most comfortable to me.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I think Toon Link is the closest Rosalina has to a bad match up.

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
Needles can do what to Rosalina?

Luma just takes them

She just takes them

And it's scary

You do NOT want to fight Rosalina with Sheik.
i think people underestimate the value of damaging luma. It's difficult for luma to get out of the way of the needles, and if nothing else its easy to rush in while luma is stalled.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
i think people underestimate the value of damaging luma. It's difficult for luma to get out of the way of the needles, and if nothing else its easy to rush in while luma is stalled.
Can't Rosalina act regardless though?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Is it bad though? I figured Luma would take the hits easily, from the projectiles.

Maybe Zero Suit? Since her side B has range?
ZSS is easy when you know what you're doing. Very punishable. Same applies to Sheik.

Toon Link is a pain for me. He's kinda hard to hit because he is so small, while Rosalina is huge. And he is the most nimble zoner in the entire game, which creates a weird dynamic.

I think it's an even match up, but he's the most recommendable character as counter for Rosalina, IMO. I don't really think she has any bad match ups. A few real easy ones, a good few slightly advantageous ones, and some even ones where the start of the match pretty much decides everything.

Last edited:

ChefKef

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hayesey
3DS FC
3368-2641-2915
Well, as this thread slowly devolves into a Shiek vs. Rosaluma thread, Ness is HOKAY at countering those characters I have found, Pac-Man is also a good option. As Mario, G&W also gives me trouble unless I spot dodge spam.

Top Bottom