• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Competitively speaking, this game's 1vs1...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobVance_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FingoDingo
3DS FC
3454-1540-6867
...is like a game of chess where neither player wants to make the first move. Watching this on VGCamp/NewMeta stream is so boring. All keepaway/zoning/defensive...I watched a best of 3 match the other night and it went for a straight 20 minutes; half of the time the commentators are just talking about random stuff because the game itself is so boring to watch. It seems even worse than Brawl; somehow even with 2 stock, matches go on forever.

brodouble

Smash Apprentice
yupp, only time i've seen otherwise is when two people are just playing to entertain viewers otherwise it's like watching turtles race lol

i think sakurai really wanted to drive the point home that smash is not a competitive fighting game.

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
Can you link me to the set you watched? Certain match-ups are slower than others and defensive options are a lot more over-used if the players aren't as skilled. There may be other reasons for players playing extremely safe and this may not necessarily represent competitive Smash 4 in its entirety.

@ B brodouble I don't think Sakurai is anti-competitive; it's more that he doesn't understand what causes his games to become terrible spectator sports. Terrible spectator sport =/= non-competitive game.

brodouble

Smash Apprentice
Can you link me to the set you watched? Certain match-ups are slower than others and defensive options are a lot more over-used if the players aren't as skilled. There may be other reasons for players playing extremely safe and this may not necessarily represent competitive Smash 4 in its entirety.

@ B brodouble I don't think Sakurai is anti-competitive; it's more that he doesn't understand what causes his games to become terrible spectator sports. Terrible spectator sport =/= non-competitive game.
he most def is anti-competitive. he's made it painfully clear in his interviews. nintendo as a whole might not be as much anymore because they're starting to see the market value i guess(they're sponsoring apex this year right?) but he's def shown time and time again he hates the competitive side of his games.

and to attract more people to the competitive base you have to have an interesting meta, and so far this game doesn't really.

Last edited:

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
he most def is anti-competitive. he's made it painfully clear in his interviews. nintendo as a whole might not be as much anymore because they're starting to see the market value i guess(they're sponsoring apex this year right?) but he's def shown time and time again he hates the competitive side of his games.

and to attract more people to the competitive base you have to have an interesting meta, and so far this game doesn't really.
You're just throwing a straw-man argument here; he never has stated he is against the competitive scene and has actually acknowledged their existence. His interviews has only stated that he is worried that casuals will be turned off by Smash becoming overly "complicated" so that only competitive players can enjoy the game. He never attacked us directly once. Please give me some quotes if I am wrong on this.

Shaaack

Smash Cadet
Maybe this defensive style exists because players are strangers to 3DS controls, and it's way easier to play defensively when you can't move exactly how you want to move ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom