• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Competitive Ness Beginner

CrossXBeau

Smash Rookie
Hello everybody, my name is CrossXBeau, and I have been playing Smash for a quite a while now, but I have not entered into the competitive scene. I have been to few tournaments at my University and have mainly just competed against friends. Soon, I wish to go to a TLoc weekly tournament, but I am not yet at the level where I need to be. I mainly focus my attention playing with Ness in Smash 4 (the only game I will be competing in, at least for now). If anyone could give me any general advice to help improve my game before I embarrass myself at a weekly, any information at all, that would be very appreciated!

Thanks all!

CrossXBeau

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
Hey glad you wanna main Ness also welcome to Smashboards!
The things you should to strive for success with Ness is:
1. Nair is one of your best air moves because it comes out quick and is a good option directly out of shield.
2. Don't spam pk Fire use it to punish an opponent than go for the grab. After that you have them grabbed do this combo:
1. Down throw
2. Short hop
3. Fair
4.short hop in the air and do Fair again.
5. Do Fair again (don't jump this time.)
If you did it right your opponent should have a hard time escaping at low percents.

3. Master the pk Thunder to recover. Learn how to aim and hit yourself in nearly all directions.

4. Use pk Thunder as a juggling tool. When you get someone into the air pull out pk Thunder and ram it into the airborne opponent. Most of the time they will get hit a couple of times.

5. Learn to use PSI magnet. This move can absorb virtually every energy based projectile and convert it back to hp to replenish Ness' health.

6. The bat can reflect projectiles. Use this to hit back both physical and energy based projectiles. Don't try too much to hit things back.
I could go on a long time about Ness but I will link you too this guide.

http://smashboards.com/guides/fuzzy-pickles-guide.51/

Also I suggest watching Nakat play some smash 4. Just go on YouTube and look up Nakat smash 4 and you should find a bunch of videos.

Last edited:

CrossXBeau

Smash Rookie
Thanks, I appreciate it! I have done a variation of that grab combo, but not exactly the same. I will add that to my arsenal! Also, I really need to be using by Nair quite a bit more too :)

Sir_Zedd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sir_Zedd
On my phone at the moment so I can't post a huge explanation here.

Check the Smash 4 Ness guide section, there is some guides based around specific moves/ techniques as well as full guides, the magnet guide and Pk thunder guide are particularly useful.

Feel free to give mine a read, you'll find it in the guide section or my signature, would appreciate some feedback

Good luck man!

Last edited:

Chill Suicune

Smash Rookie
I use DSmash to punish rolls. Also Dthrow to fair is too predictable so I reccomend dthrow to USmash if you predict an air dodge

Top Bottom