• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Competitive Custom Robo

.-.Prδχγ.-.

Smash Rookie
introducing Robo-Forums! here in this forum, we offer help and guidance to those looking into the competitive Custom Robo scene, which we can catapult into fruition. all we need is people wiling to partake in these events, and recording brackets and what not will be easy. mind you, this will require some planning, and can take anywhere from days to months to prepare. but, as i was saying, all we truly need is what the melee competitive scene has, and things should be in the clear. Here on Robo-Forums, I am dedicated to helping and planning counter-picks, Robo Gear Rankings/Tiers, and i am willing to attend events at any given moment. this is still a WOP, and might take some time to prepare, however, I'm sure that we, as a community, can launch this dream to fruition. this will take work, and a bit of elbow grease, and please, feel free to ask questions in regards to tiers, assistance, and anything else you feel is a necessity. I'm mostly online, so anytime is a good time. http://robofourms.proboards.com/ is the link to the site, and please, feel free to look around and browse while posting comments and whatnot on the dedicated forums specialized for certain topics. i hope you all enjoy, and i look forward to bringing this rather overlooked game with astronomical possibilities for competitive play into the fray.

Last edited:

.-.Prδχγ.-.

Smash Rookie
Oh, and I forgot to mention; feel free to sign up at anytime. I'm always pondering the site for new material to place on it, and i'll be happy to discuss the locations and times of certain meets and events. otherwise, i hope this site serves the masses well, and I look forward to discussing the future of Custom Robo with those who are interested.

TryrushDeppy

Smash Apprentice
I wish you the best of luck, but we're talking about a series that has always been terribly unpopular outside of Japan, and never had even a miniscule organized competitive scene built up around it in the States, which is less than you can say for Virtual On, Armored Core or Gundam Extreme VS. Most likely your forum will remain a ghost town forever. It's not helping that the "Robofourms" title at the top of the page is brazenly misspelled.

.-.Prδχγ.-.

Smash Rookie
While I do agree with you that the series is praised rather unfavorably, that still won't deter me from trying. Oh, and thanks for the spelling correction, I managed to change it. But regardless, perhaps timing is key. After all, the game is about 12 years of age, so that would make sense. But nonetheless, I still persist and encourage those who have not played the game to focus not on the story, but the rather large competitive potential in this game.

TryrushDeppy

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I remember seeing similar attempts like yours to "grow the scene" back when the GC Custom Robo came out in the US. Even then, they were barely any more successful. There's also the fact that the game just isn't that great, even compared to Gotcha Force, another GC exclusive about robot arena fights.

Tiddlywinks might also have a "large competitive potential," but it takes more than that to get people to actually care about something.

Last edited:

.-.Prδχγ.-.

Smash Rookie
well, one place to gain popularity might actually be Reddit. I've posted something on he forums there, and its gaining some momentum now. all we need is something more to happen, something like a Dolphin Emulator Net-play Tourney, or something in specific regions. perhaps this will work out, but who knows. after all, you're right to say it has a rather unfavorable fanbase here in the states and everywhere else besides Japan. But still, it does have a rather intriguing battle system not commonly formatted or used in many games (with minor exceptions of course). But I still will persist, regardless of what is to come. Who knows, it may just come to be. But then again, you could be right in terms of popularity downgrading its status as a competitively played game.

TryrushDeppy

Smash Apprentice
Have you tried the Little Battlers/Danball Senki series? I think it's by far the closest thing to a current-generation Custom Robo game you're going to get, and it finally made its American debut on 3DS a while ago.

Battle Robot Damashii (based on Bandai's crossover mecha toyline) is another similar game that didn't get much attention because it was a very late PSP exclusive, and the system was already dying out even in Japan. Shame, because I thought it was really good.

Last edited:

Jestrick

Smash Rookie
just made an account to reply to this thread, I would totally play custom robo competitively, as long as your willing to help me with netplay

Top Bottom