• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Community support on iPhone and Android

kraftydevil

Smash Cadet
I would like to know if anyone has seen any iPhone or Android apps that address the smash community?

Things like support for:
tournament information: pre-start and post-results
using GPS to find players near you who want to play now
connections to social media

I haven't seen anything.

I am an iOS and Android developer who plays smash and is interested in taking the smash scene to the mobile world.

So my question is, what would you like to see in an app that supports the smash community?

moomoomamoo

Smash Apprentice
I'll be the first to say: yes. This is a good idea, though it's going to be a lot to promise and will most likely not get any reviews or support til it's finished.

kraftydevil

Smash Cadet
I'll be the first to say: yes. This is a good idea, though it's going to be a lot to promise and will most likely not get any reviews or support til it's finished.
Yeah, but tell me something to promise...as in what features would be cool to have?

I'm thinking some sort of notification system that broadcasts to people that you want to play. There's nothing like finding out a day late that someone was playing last night down the street. Of course, you might only want to play with a select group of people, so the app will need to account for that.

Brackets
What about a bracket feature which would let you post results the minute the tourney is done?

Tournament Pre-Registration
Let the TO(s) know that you are coming. The TO will not have to enter their information into the brackets. You could also let the TO know if you are bringing setups. This will not reserve a spot, since there is no money changing hands, but it will speed things up for those who do pre-register. At the start of the tourney, TOs can do roll calls and make sure they have the entry fees. If the player doesn't show up, then they should be able to easily take them out of the tourney.

The trick will be how to handle someone who shows up a few minutes late. Let me know if you have suggestions.

An actual friend finder.
http://www.ssbwiki.com/Global_Smasher_Compendium

We had this for a while but then it went inactive and down, it'd be awesome if someone could take the project and get it up and running again though.
Yeah definitely would be nice to have in some capacity. I assume there was a way to make your address private unless you wanted others to see it?

I would probably make everyone's zip code or city public and then you could reveal your actual address to a select group of people. This would probably be a group even more select than friends, since we tend to befriend just about everyone we meet these days.

Yeah so keep this brainstorming session going! Great input so far.

Top Bottom