• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Community Hate

Jamisinon

Smash Apprentice
I feel like what characters/stages are winning or giving top players a rough time will always get more hate than they deserve. Many top players have vocalized a strong hatred of Puff as a character and thus their fan bases follow suit with the same attitude towards the character. People in general seem to complain more than they used to as well. In a gaming world where games release as betas or are imbalanced and rely on patches, changes get made if people are vocal enough about it.
Obviously since Melee has no patches you are pretty much stuck with the vanilla game. Even things like UCF can be used divisively in the community. I personally try to approach the game with the view that if a Stage or a Character is so good that you can just play it too. Since you can play any character in the game you shouldn't complain about any character in the game. But unfortunately many use complaints to validate themselves or other players after a loss. That the winning player only won BC of beneficial MU or stage or play style etc. People tell themselves 'well on even ground playing a not lame character on a not lame stage in a not lame way player B would have won instead.' It's just an excuse. Most of the time the person who played the game better won, clear and simple.
I feel relying on excuses as to why you lose only helps to prevent you from winning BC you don't learn from your mistakes if you have the view someone else was the reason you lost and not yourself.

R3D3MON

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KeeHwang2010
It's pretty ****ty mentality, yeah. This type of complaining exists in any smash game unfortunately, but I'm glad there are no patches in SSB64, Melee, and PM. Sure people can complain, but at the end of the day you will need to "git gud" or get ****ed because there ain't any patches/nerfs that can satisfy or validate people's complaints.

Nohbl

Smash Journeyman
The community obviously just wants Hungrybox to be the perpetual antivillain. HomeMadeWaffles was jokingly calling him "Hanos" at Smash N Splash, and he even played the part at Summit.
I think a lot of them are babbies but you know what? Despite Hungrybox being my favorite of the Five Gods, I'm willing to to accept that I'm rooting for "the bad guy". It's amusing and makes for a good narrative. We'll continue winning regardless.
Rather than complaining about toxicity and screaming #F*ckHate at the other side like petulant children (which they probably are), I'd rather we handle this in the spirit of *chan and just keep flinging sh*t at each other all in good fun. Yes bulli---as long as you can back it up.

1485157228671.jpg | 1488757222038.png | smug jigglypuff2.png

P.S. haven't read the leddit post because it has since been deleted.

R3D3MON

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KeeHwang2010
The community obviously just wants Hungrybox to be the perpetual antivillain. HomeMadeWaffles was jokingly calling him "Hanos" at Smash N Splash, and he even played the part at Summit.
I think a lot of them are babbies but you know what? Despite Hungrybox being my favorite of the Five Gods, I'm willing to to accept that I'm rooting for "the bad guy". It's amusing and makes for a good narrative. We'll continue winning regardless.
Rather than complaining about toxicity and screaming #F*ckHate at the other side like petulant children (which they probably are), I'd rather we handle this in the spirit of *chan and just keep flinging sh*t at each other all in good fun. Yes bulli---as long as you can back it up.

View attachment 148046 | View attachment 148051 | View attachment 148055

P.S. haven't read the leddit post because it has since been deleted.
Yep, results speak for themselves.

Top Bottom