• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Commonness of Competitive Ikes?

Jamaz

Smash Rookie
Out of the 70 or so people I've played the past month, I had fought almost all Wolfs, Lucases, Marths, Pits, and Meta Knights. There are a few random mainers for most of the other characters but I know I was the only Ike 1v1er I came across. There were maybe 2 or 3 people who used him as a "fun" alternative.

I know from the few times I've played random, the Ike population reflects rabbit breeding grounds and apparently from the # of forum posts Ike gets two-four times more attention than other popular characters. Just wondering your guys experiences of how often you see competitive Ikes when you exchange FCs or play at tournaments.

Sacrifar

Smash Rookie
Ike is a very powerful but slow character. To take advantage of this, most players who use Ike use him in Team Matches or free for all 4 player matches.
Most do not play 1vs 1 with him, as he is slow and unable to catch up with fast character
this does not mean that he can't necessarily beat them
Few use Ike for 1vs 1
People like me

Hostility

Smash Ace
Ike has been falling behind while characters like wolf, snake, marth and metaknight are getting so much better. People in general gravitate to the characters which are better, and unfortunitly, ike isn't that great of a character, singles wise.

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
Ike has been falling behind while characters like wolf, snake, marth and metaknight are getting so much better. People in general gravitate to the characters which are better, and unfortunitly, ike isn't that great of a character, singles wise.
lolwut?

Ike is at least low end of upper tier. His problem matches come against the top tiers (MK, Falco, etc.) and people who can camp well (Lucas, etc.). Thus, he'll likely never go higher than upper...but he's at upper. He beats the tar outta mid tiers and lowbies.

Hostility

Smash Ace
lolwut?

Ike is at least low end of upper tier. His problem matches come against the top tiers (MK, Falco, etc.) and people who can camp well (Lucas, etc.). Thus, he'll likely never go higher than upper...but he's at upper. He beats the tar outta mid tiers and lowbies.
You don't know what you're talking about.

Eddy01741

Smash Cadet
Um, well, one thing that's hurting Ike a lot is his rep in random online play. In 4 player FFAs, usually at least 1 ike in each match, and many of them just move spam, so it gives a bad reputation for ike. Ike isn't that bad, it's just htat he's can be very predictable if you don't mix it up all the time, for example, yeah, RAR+Bair is great, but people know when it's coming if you use it as your only approach, same with Fair and quick draw etc.

However, I know that Azen mains him (or at least used to), and I've heard rumors that Ken is using him too, so yeah....

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
You don't know what you're talking about.
No, you don't know what you're talking about.

Characters that can hurt Ike's game significantly:

Snake
Space animals
De3
Marth
Lucas
Pika
Toon Link

Characters that are somewhat hard to fight but have no major advantage:

MK
Game and Watch
Olimar
Ice Climbers
Diddy
Pit
Zelda

People that Ike fights evenly or walks on:

Luigi
Zero Suit Samus
Kirby
Lucario
Peach
Ness
Squirtle
Donkey Kong
Wario
Charizard
Jigglypuff
Link
Samus
Bowser
Yoshi
Captain Falcon
Sonic
Mario
Ivysaur
Gannondorf

If you'll notice, the majority of the characters have give Ike major trouble are top tiers. The others occupy the upper tiers. The ones Ike fights evenly with or has advantage on are mid tier, low tier or bottom tier, mostly.

Thus, top of mid tier/bottom of upper tier.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
You always find alot of people who play the top tier characters just kinda how it goes.

P-Wubbs

Smash Apprentice
Despite his lack of popularity as a singles competitor, I chose Ike to be my main because of his potential. Even if he is mismatched against some of the top tier characters, it could lead to different strategies to take care of the trouble ones. The game is still very young.

VersatileBJN

Smash Ace
Hostility who's been owning you so hard to have you down on Ike?

low end of high tier sounds about right to me personally, and I know how to play.

Hostility

Smash Ace
No, you don't know what you're talking about.

Characters that can hurt Ike's game significantly:

Snake
Space animals
De3
Marth
Lucas
Pika
Toon Link

Characters that are somewhat hard to fight but have no major advantage:

MK
Game and Watch
Olimar
Ice Climbers
Diddy
Pit
Zelda

People that Ike fights evenly or walks on:

Luigi
Zero Suit Samus
Kirby
Lucario
Peach
Ness
Squirtle
Donkey Kong
Wario
Charizard
Jigglypuff
Link
Samus
Bowser
Yoshi
Captain Falcon
Sonic
Mario
Ivysaur
Gannondorf

If you'll notice, the majority of the characters have give Ike major trouble are top tiers. The others occupy the upper tiers. The ones Ike fights evenly with or has advantage on are mid tier, low tier or bottom tier, mostly.

Thus, top of mid tier/bottom of upper tier.
You pulled that list out of your ***. Ike does not have an advantage over 2/3 of the game. Honestly, there are so many flaws with it I don't know what else to say except you might wanna learn how to play before you try giving people advice on stuff you don't know anything about.

Hostility who's been owning you so hard to have you down on Ike?

low end of high tier sounds about right to me personally, and I know how to play.
Good people.

If you knew how to play, you'd realize ike isn't a good character relative to the rest of the cast. He's got way too many limitations as a character to do well in tournaments right now, and I doubt that it's going to change in the future.

apmpnmdslkbk

Smash Journeyman
Ike rules and though hes slow he makes up for it with his strenth. not only that but his bair is quick and powerful and just beutiful (sob). I just love the fact that he has a meteor smash that just makes him even better.

TedBoosley

Smash Ace
Ike rules and though hes slow he makes up for it with his strenth. not only that but his bair is quick and powerful and just beutiful (sob). I just love the fact that he has a meteor smash that just makes him even better.
This post contains every common misconception that holds Ike players back.

apmpnmdslkbk

Smash Journeyman
what do you mean I have won countless matches with his bair and then meteor smashing my opponent with his dair. but I guess that I did forget to mention all of his other talents and I was just scratching the tip of the iceberg that is ike. SORRY!!!

P-Wubbs

Smash Apprentice
Eventually, some of the better gamers will gravitate to Ike and start showing his true ability. I don't really care about his tier ranking because people will use whatever fits their style. I gravitated towards him because he fits my style of play. I know he is slow and has limitations, but if you don't try to work with a character, you won't be able to unlock his potential. Just because he has not had success in the beginning does not mean that he isn't going to have any. It just takes some time and patience to work out strategies against opponents.

GodotAA

Smash Ace
the best way to play Ike is to predict your opponent when they APPROACH YOU.

if a player is playing a space animal or a character like snake who can camp. It forces Ike to have to approach which is where his game falters.

but looking at Alpha Dragoons post on the first page with the tiers, I'm going to try to compare from what I have played against.

I actually have no problems with some decent De De De because his camping ability isn't great. BUT he has the chain grab which can wreck Ike. Against De De De the only real mismatch is the chain grab IMO. But in reality if I brought my Ike to a tournament, even though people have told me it is pretty good I'd get wrecked by a De De De there.

The only thing Marth has over Ike is he is faster. Most of Marth attacks can be blocked. I will say if the Marth is spacing himself really well it may be harder. But I don't see any really huge advantage over Ike. But people don't see that Marth isn't the god he was in Melee even though he still is pretty good.

Most of the other stuff pretty close to accurate.

TedBoosley

Smash Ace
what do you mean I have won countless matches with his bair and then meteor smashing my opponent with his dair. but I guess that I did forget to mention all of his other talents and I was just scratching the tip of the iceberg that is ike. SORRY!!!
How many of those countless matches were tournament?

AlexX

Smash Ace
I actually have no problems with some decent De De De because his camping ability isn't great. BUT he has the chain grab which can wreck Ike. Against De De De the only real mismatch is the chain grab IMO. But in reality if I brought my Ike to a tournament, even though people have told me it is pretty good I'd get wrecked by a De De De there.
Ike can escape Dedede's chaingrab.

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
I play him because I fell in love with Roy despite how he was a big steaming pile of ***. Ike is just a balanced, not-****ty version of him.

I'm currently spending my time playing all characters and single-play of Brawl trying to see everyone and find my playing style (Let me say right now that Diddy surprised the crap out of me with how good he is), but once I finish with Challenges I'm moving towards competitive practice with Zelda, Ike, and Dedede, in that order.

P-Wubbs

Smash Apprentice
I've been checking the tournament rankings, and from what I can see (I could be wrong), the best Ike is placing is 9th in the tourneys. For the most part, it doesn't look like much representation of him, so the ones that are playing him are having some success. Snake is dominating the tournament scene it appears while I would be on the lookout for good R.O.B. players as the good ones can out camp Snake.

aznegglover

Smash Journeyman
Yea, seriously

I use another forum to Brawl people on, and I've only played like, two Ikes ._.''

And those Ikes weren't mains ._.''

P-Wubbs

Smash Apprentice
xYz: Got 9th this past saturday in a 90 man tourney in miami going Ike/GW. and 5th at a 128 man tourney in orlando going Ike.

Congrats xYz on representing a strong Ike. One of many more strong finishes that will soon turn to wins.

alchfilosofer

Smash Ace
the best way to play Ike is to predict your opponent when they APPROACH YOU.

if a player is playing a space animal or a character like snake who can camp. It forces Ike to have to approach which is where his game falters.

but looking at Alpha Dragoons post on the first page with the tiers, I'm going to try to compare from what I have played against.

The only thing Marth has over Ike is he is faster. Most of Marth attacks can be blocked. I will say if the Marth is spacing himself really well it may be harder. But I don't see any really huge advantage over Ike. But people don't see that Marth isn't the god he was in Melee even though he still is pretty good.

Most of the other stuff pretty close to accurate.
dude, did the you knew marth can UP-B out of the ike's AAA combo?. also shield his moves = no smart cause of his shield breaker

Top Bottom