• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Coming Home - The Kid (Bastion) Support Thread

amazonevan19

Smash Ace

Introduction

The Kid (or just Kid) is the protagonist of Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and Supergiant Games 2011 hit game Bastion. With a vast arsenal of weapons, a compelling story, and his game just being rereleased on the Switch (with Supergiant Games' Transistor coming in November), I feel Kid would make for a solid addition to the Smash roster.

Although he is a silent protagonist, one of the most well received parts of Bastion is the narrator Rucks, who details almost every move the Kid makes in a gripping narrative. Although it may sound irritating having each move narrated, it's actually implemented very well and would be a unique aspect to include in Smash.

What Kid can Bring to Smash

As the mockup below illustrates, Kid's moveset can bring a varied pool of both melee and projectile based moves and skills, including the Cael Hammer, the War Machete (my personal favorite), the Army Carbine, Calamity Cannon, and Flame Bellows, just to name a few.

Also, a noble soul on GameFAQs did a great job detailing some more of the finer points for Kid, including particulars on a potential moveset and taunts.

I don't believe anyone's thought of grab attacks for Kid, but those shouldn't be too difficult either.
  1. Up throw: Kid tosses the opponent in the air and slashes with the War Machete for high knockback. Probably would be his strongest throw
  2. Down throw: Kid slams the opponent into the ground with the Battering Ram. Wouldn't have much knockback but would do high damage.
  3. Forward throw: Kid does a sweeping kick which sends the opponent flying. Not as much power as the up throw but still a solid option for setups.
  4. Back Throw - idk probably just a weaker Marth like backthrow. Kid tends to focus on direct hand to hand combat so he doesn't have time for fancy back oriented setups :p
It's no question that based on the source material, Sakurai would have a rich array of tools at his disposal to properly represent Kid. Kid wouldn't just be another anime swordfighter but would bring a lot of varied tools/weapons to Smash.

Counterpoints

Admittedly Kid's chances are not very high at all, given that Shovel Knight (who can be seen as the King of Indies) was deconfirmed as an assist, and Shantae having much stronger support, deep Nintendo history, and way more games.

However, as I mentioned before, Kid has recency and support from Supergiant Games - seeing as his game just came out on Switch and has been critically acclaimed upon its original release as well as its re-release. His being a silent protagonist dark horse would certainly pique the broader Smash fanbase's curiousity and benefit both Nintendo (in terms of DLC sales) and Supergiant (in terms of sales for Bastion and their other games).

But the recency can also be seen as a drawback - Kid has only been in one game after all, and could face resistance from Warner Bros. I'm not entirely sure who has the rights to the character (those may be exclusively in Supergiant's control, who'd probably be fine with Kid in smash), but should Sakurai approach them, who knows if they would say yes or not.

Basically Kid stands almost no chance, especially given how niche his game is even in the indie realm, but should Sakurai wish to give Smash more indie representation aside from Shovel Knight and Shantae, he could do far, far worse than Kid.

Music

Bastion has a lot of great music, both vocal and more atmospheric music as well. Feel free to sample some of the below tracks:
1 - The Mancer's Dilemma - Bastion [ORIGINAL]
2 - Bynn The Breaker - Bastion [ORIGINAL]
3 - Terminal March - Bastion [ORIGINAL]
4 - Percy's Escape - Bastion [ORIGINAL]
5 - Mine, Windbag, Mine - Bastion [ORIGINAL]
6 - From Wharf To Wilds - Bastion [ORIGINAL]
7 - Spike In A Rail - Bastion [ORIGINAL]
8 - Build That Wall - Bastion [ORIGINAL]

Parting Words
Any and all discussion concerning Kid is welcomed, but please be respectful towards members. While negative feedback is fine, any type of disrespectful or rude behavior won't be tolerated, so please keep that in mind when discussing. Also, please keep discussion about Kid, Bastion, or Supergiant Games in this thread. This isn't a super harsh rule but unneeded off-topic discussions should move to other threads.

Now, with that out of the way, let's show Kid our support, and let's discuss!

List of Supporters
  1. amazonevan19
  2. SEGAGameBoy
  3. Brindor
  4. Tetrin
  5. LyGreens54

Last edited:

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
Big Transistor fan here, I'm down for the Kid in smash

Last edited:

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
Decently old thread and probably not Nintendo's first choice for an indie character, but the moveset potential and surprise factor of his inclusion would make my day. Add me to the support list if you get a chance.

LyGreens54

Smash Rookie
I definitely would love having the Kid in Ultimate! Prolly not likely to happen for a while but he would be my first choice if it was my choice to make.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
I definitely would love having the Kid in Ultimate! Prolly not likely to happen for a while but he would be my first choice if it was my choice to make.
What excellent taste you have, sir. I wish this thread was more active though.

Surprised it isn't since Bastion is such an influential indie game.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Well with Sans getting a mii costume, indies have finally been formally recognized in a playable form. So that increases chances by like 0.1% lol

Top Bottom