• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Coming down after getting hit

ChaoI16I

Smash Rookie
I've played a lot of matches where I have such a hard time returning down from the stage after a uthrow-uair against a fox or an upsmash. How can I return down back to the stage safely without getting punished or hit on the way down?

xXadevs2000Xx

Smash Apprentice
I've played a lot of matches where I have such a hard time returning down from the stage after a uthrow-uair against a fox or an upsmash. How can I return down back to the stage safely without getting punished or hit on the way down?
Well, unless they're only hitting you with 2nd hit of uair, you should SDI the first hit.
As for getting down, it's very difficult with Marth because he's not a fastfaller, his aerials are slow and you need to commit to them since they last quite a while. Mindlessly throwing out aerials will get you punished hard.

A lot of noob-ish Marth players will actually fade in to their opponents and try to attack them. When you're in the air and they're on the ground, you're in a disadvantageous position, so your goal should be to return it to neutral.

The majority of the time, you will want to fade away from your opponent or try to get to platforms. Well times aerials in response to committing opponents can be used.

PS: Take your DI on your opponents moves into consideration too. If you aren't confident in SDIing Fox uair, DI one direction off the throw (preferably behind) and then DI the uair in the opposite direction. The Fox shouldn't be able to follow up and you will be mostly safe to return to neutral.
And DI the usmash away for the most part, you go lower, it helps for survival and puts you further from Fox which means you will have more time to fall without being threatened by his aerials.

If you have any other questions, go ahead.

ChaoI16I

Smash Rookie
Well, unless they're only hitting you with 2nd hit of uair, you should SDI the first hit.
As for getting down, it's very difficult with Marth because he's not a fastfaller, his aerials are slow and you need to commit to them since they last quite a while. Mindlessly throwing out aerials will get you punished hard.

A lot of noob-ish Marth players will actually fade in to their opponents and try to attack them. When you're in the air and they're on the ground, you're in a disadvantageous position, so your goal should be to return it to neutral.

The majority of the time, you will want to fade away from your opponent or try to get to platforms. Well times aerials in response to committing opponents can be used.

PS: Take your DI on your opponents moves into consideration too. If you aren't confident in SDIing Fox uair, DI one direction off the throw (preferably behind) and then DI the uair in the opposite direction. The Fox shouldn't be able to follow up and you will be mostly safe to return to neutral.
And DI the usmash away for the most part, you go lower, it helps for survival and puts you further from Fox which means you will have more time to fall without being threatened by his aerials.

If you have any other questions, go ahead.
Thanks for the response! I also often have trouble finishing off puff players. I've had some luck with utilt and dair when they are off stage. Is that the best way to go for kills? Or is there more efficent and safe ways?

xXadevs2000Xx

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the response! I also often have trouble finishing off puff players. I've had some luck with utilt and dair when they are off stage. Is that the best way to go for kills? Or is there more efficent and safe ways?
I believe that the Puff MU is absolutely dominated by stage control.
Establish it, and maintain it for as long as possible. If the Puff is above you, you are in an advantageous position. If the Puff is in the corner, they will want to return to center stage and will not have as much space as you to work with. They lose many options.

Remember that when you have stage control and they are in the corner, a lot of Puff players will attempt to roll. Use low lag moves like SHFFL fair and dtilt so that if they roll, you can quickly turnaround grab WHICH CAN GET YOU THE KILL.

Okay, as you killing Puff, don't try to fsmash in neutral as she will punish you hard if you whiff it.
If she is in the air, the floaty killer (side-b to utilt) can be very good. But if they are on the ground, they will CC and punish you.
Learn your grab game on Puff!!!! Learn to Pivot Fsmash! http://smashboards.com/threads/kadanos-perfect-marth-class-advanced-frame-data-application.337035/ (Scroll down until you get to grab game on Puff)
You will mostly kill her with tilts, specifically ftilt and utilt. But uair can also be used at higher percentages when they're above you, especially on stages like Yoshi's.
And obviously NTSC dair can be very reliably, but don't commit too hard, you might lose a stock if you do.

Something else, a lot of bad Puff players will try to Side-b at the ledge to get you offstage and convert the situation. If you see that your opponent does this, bait it and fsmash the f*cker.

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
I use sideb due to many reason it keeps me in the air and gives more recovery options plus sideb can be used to counter attacks

Top Bottom