• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Combos?

Kaiboiii

Smash Cadet
I'm having a little trouble with combos on Fox, the only one I really know atm is a up throw into up air-smash then waiting on the ground for a up smash.

Any good combos I can use?

jr22

Smash Apprentice
dair to utilt is a pretty simple and a good combo that racks a serious amount of damage. don't use too many utilts at high percentages. do it around 10%-40%. his dtilt is a great combo starter; the tip of his tail sends them straight up and sets up for an fair and uair. I recommend to use this combo for kills and building damage. the first 2 hits of his fair can spike and it can set up for an ftilt lock.

Pivot ftilt can combo too: pivot ftilt>dsmash use this around 70%
pivot ftilt>upsmash use it around 100% ( you have too run at them to hit it)
you can not use the up angled ftilt to combo. (just to let you know)

Last edited:

Blazerator

Smash Cadet
NNID
josh2499
If you're playing against a heavy opponent, you can pretty much spam the side smash when they're at a low %

jr22

Smash Apprentice
If you're playing against a heavy opponent, you can pretty much spam the side smash when they're at a low %
No. fsmash is not the right move you want to use at low % and espically if you're spamming it. the move will get stale and you can punish very hard with unplesent results. it's best to use the classic dair to utilt combo. dair does some serious damage and conncets to utilt which combo at low %

Gunslinger

Smash Apprentice
Up-tilt combos into itself, then when you see your opponent go in front of you, you can double jab them into a grab/smash attack (depending on how they respond to the jab combo). A great low percent combo is down throw, fair, up air. Weak nair to upsmash or dash attack to up air are a good kill setup combos.

Her0_0f_time

Smash Rookie
I personally like the Jab Jab Cancel combo that I do. I hit jab twice and then wait a second to reset the jab so you dont go into the kicks, then jab jab again. Its about as reliably as the uptilt combo, but has less knockback so you can keep it up for higher percentages. I really only have some trouble getting this going on the lighter floatier characters, and the heavier characters have trouble escaping. I usually follow this up with a dash attack or a nair depending on how long I can keep it going and which whey they go when they escape.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Jab -> 2nd Jab cancel only works against opponents who don't know how to get out of it. You can get out of it by shielding, rolling, DI'ing away, using a quick N-air (like Ness or Peach) or a fast jab (like ZSS), or grabbing Fox before he starts the two jabs again.

Therefore, I recommend you do the jab -> 2nd jab, cancel -> jab cancel repeat only if you notice your opponent doesn't do any of the above to escape it.

On the other hand, the Jab -> 2nd jab works to open up an opponent. You can do things like:

Jab -> 2nd jab -> D-smash
Jab -> 2nd jab -> U-smash
Jab -> 2nd jab -> grab

Jab -> 2nd jab -> grab -> D-throw -> (jump) F-air connects consistently up to ~25% on most of the cast. You can mix it up with Fox's F-air spike to force your opponent back down to the stage. If they don't tech when they come down on the stage, you can:

Jab -> 2nd jab -> grab -> D-throw -> (jump) F-air spike -> D-smash
Jab -> 2nd jab -> grab -> D-throw -> (jump) F-air spike -> U-smash
Jab -> 2nd jab -> grab -> D-throw -> (jump) F-air spike -> F-tilt lock (x2) -> U-smash
Jab -> 2nd jab -> grab -> D-throw -> (jump) F-air spike -> Jab -> 2nd Jab -> grab D-throw -> (Jump) F-air -> (double Jump) Up-air

Listed in order of difficulty. IF your opponent techs, however, you can still follow their tech roll with a dash attack, a pivot F-tilt, a Forward Smash in their direction, a running and well-timed grab, or a running U-smash in their direction.

Last edited:

Commander Keen

Smash Rookie
I think Dthrow into reverse back air works in low percents, i am not completely sure if it's a true combo but it did work for me sometimes, Bair autocancels so one of my best options is Bair into Utilt > Upsmash, or Bair > Utilt combo > Grab > Dthrow > Forward air

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
The Dthrow into Fair is pretty much the bread and butter combo that I use in the low percents. Once the percent gets too big they start flying too high for you to nail them with the Fair, though. Also the short hop Nair is good after any move like an Up-tilt (or an Up-smash if they're at low percent).

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
Dash attack to SH nair to fair works nicely at low percents. But dair-utilt-utilt-utilt-utilt-utilt ad nauseum is the best low percent combo. And the top of dtilit sets up all of your aerials quite well.

Commander Keen

Smash Rookie
Also Fox has some nice combo setups for K.O like:
Dash attack > Uair
Utilt > Uair
Fast falling Nair > Usmash
Ftilt into running up smash is a pretty good K.O setup since you can also pivot dash the Ftilt.

M@v

Subarashii!
A lot more nair focused this time around compared to brawl with dairs. Dair does not combo at higher percent; nair can be used at pretty much any percent to some degree; higher percents weak hit nair->upsmash,dash attack, grab works.

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
Dair has less lag if it hits. So you can chain it into utilt etc. depending on the character, as long as it makes contact.

Curtis Nielson

Smash Rookie
I don't know if it's s true combo because I've only ever tried it in training, but in low percentages (<40%) dash attack then shine works

Grass

Smash Lord
I'm having a little trouble with combos on Fox, the only one I really know atm is a up throw into up air-smash then waiting on the ground for a up smash.

I think in general, Fox is combo heavy but at the same time. I feel that if you play Fox like you did in melee (aka grabbing and using aerials) you should be fine. I don't ever really combo much with Fox, I kinda just sit and wait until people slip up and they do it very often.

ChillySundance

Smash Apprentice
Here's a list of all the 'true' combos I've found with Fox so far. All of these keep the combo counter raised in training mode, meaning they're inescapable and I'm pretty sure they're DI-proofed too. So here we go:

Utilt > Utilt.

- contrary to what you'd think, this only works when the opponent is around 40% or so, and it doesn't continue chaining for long. Prior to that, they can air dodge it, though they're so close to the ground that if they do this they'll be vulnerable anyway.

Dtilt (tipper) > Uair or Nair

- works at mid - high percents starting around 50% or so for Nair and 80% and up for Uair. You need to quickly dash and immediately full jump while using Nair or Uair to get the 2nd hit. Landing Uair is harder but obviously has better rewards. You may have to double jump into Uair at higher percents at 120% and up, but that'll usually net a KO and it still combos.

Utilt (reverse) > Fair

-landing Utilt with your back facing the opponent props them up perfectly for a full jump Fair for decent damage. This starts to combo at around 50% and stops working at around 75%. Quite reliable.

Utilt (reverse) > Uair

- practical at around 60% to 90% and after that it stops working. You need to short hop forward and C-stick the Uair in order for this to land.

falling Fair > full jump Fair

- works best at around 40%. Does pitiful damage but looks pretty stylish. Wonky hitboxes on Fair make this impractical.

SHFF'd sweetspot Nair > Dash attack

- works at mid percents. C-stick shortcut the dash attack for best results.

SHFF'd sourspot Nair > Upsmash

- works at higher percents. Good kill setup.

Short hop Up Air > full jump Up Air or Fair

- works at mid - high percents until around 100% Good luck opening with Uair though, the hitbox is tiny now. You may have to double jump.

Sourspot Dash Attack > upsmash
- works at 70% - 90%. Possibly able to be escaped with DI, since it seems kind of tight.

Sweetspot Dash Attack > Up Air

- seems to work at about 80%-90%. Very specific percent range, I can't do it consistently but it's definitely a thing. Probably Di-able.

Down Throw > Full Jump Fair

- you need to dash a very specific distance forward before doing the Fair. Seems very tight and probably Di-able, works from 0% to around 85%

Fox Illusion (air) > Full jump Fair

- Fox illusion has way less lag if you use it in the air. Use it immediately after jumping to autocancel your landing lag. If you hit with the farthest part of the move, you can follow it up into a Fair at high percents. Very impractical but you might be able to catch someone off guard while they're charging a projectile or something.

Landing Dair > Ftilt

You can combo other things out of landing Dair, including Dtilt and running attack at certain percents, but the hitbox is so fiddly now, I really don't like to use it.

Footstool Jump (against standing opponent > Firefox

Amusingly, this works if you can land a raw footstool jump against a standing opponent. The active frames of firefox's charge will hit the opponent before they're able to recover from the flinching animation. Pointless, but funny.

All of these were tested on Diddy Kong. I may have missed some, but those are all the notable ones I've found while mucking around in training mode.

PMMikey

To be the best~
NNID
PMMikey
3DS FC
1478-6360-4387
The best combo I can do is run attack then immediately utilt keep that up till they're at I would say 30% then finish it off with a dsmash. I've pulled it off enough to know that you can rack enough damage to just end them with a fsmash or uair.

moyshe

Lazer Fox
NNID
moyshe
3DS FC
4442-1379-8655

Fox has a lot of really good combos with his nair, I've combo'd heavier characters by:
down throw>nair>(when they fall)>dtilt>nair>nair>fsmash

doesn't always work, but when it does it feels melee as ****.

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
Short hop->nair right over them->fastfall so the nair sourspot hits-> running usmash before they hit the ground.

Kon

Smash Journeyman
Don't know if it's close to a true combo but jab + jab + upsmash works fine at high %. Another option could be jab + jab + grab + fthrow + running upsmash at high %. Both are stylish for a kill (and in my opinion good alternatives to the classical weak nair + upsmash or up-tilt upair). The latter one seems to only work if the ennemy misses the tech. The first one works fine if the ennemy misses to shield instantly after the two jabs. As said I'm not sure if there's a way for the ennemy to shield before the up-smash. Still he must be prepared for this one in order to escape the upsmash. So it's almost good to mix at least the two combos to make u less predictable.

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
Double jab cancel usmash is unreliable tbh. If they pop up they can use an aerial, if not they can shield. Pretty character-dependant. DJC dsmash, on the other hand...

Mighty_Guy100

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mighty_Guy100
Landing D-air still has nice follow ups.

Low percents: U-tilt, F-tilt, D-tilt, jab, grab, dash attack.

Mid-high percents: dash attack, dash grab, U-smash, pivot F-tilt (character dependant).

At kill percents, Landing D-air -> jump-cancel U-smash counts as a true combo in trainig mode.

D-air is a lot riskier in this game though.

Top Bottom