• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Combos?

Intero

Smash Cadet
I have picked up :4shulk: recently because he is too much fun! Speed Monado being the best of course Embarrass But im now wondering if you guys have discovered any interesting combos that work on the bulk of the roster, so far all I have is

Nair>FF>Jab
Nair>FF>Dtilt
Nair>FF>Dtilt>Uthrow>Utiltx2>U-B

you can see my approaches and combos are a little bland, just wondering if anyone could help me improve, would appreciate a restrain from flaming or directing me to other threads as I've already read the bulk of them, thanks in advance :)

Claxus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Claxus
3DS FC
0146-8714-8870
That's really about all he has. N-air into a tilt or grab at early percents or with Buster up to around 70-80%. I think that U-throw in that last combo (after d-tilt) is avoidable, or may only work on heavy characters. Enemies can also dodge after U-tilt, but it's fairly reliable if you predict and punish their air dodge. Anyway, still good stuff, but Shulk has no true combos aside from the quick N-air stuff, just good follow-ups.

Another one I try sometimes is
N-Air > U-tilt > Air Slash.
You have to be really in their face and hit the N-air late, and it's a very loose combo, but it sets up nicely if they don't expect it.

If you get a nice hit and landing, I'm fairly sure F-smash combos from N-air, but the timing is strict.

Something I've been trying occasionally is AA > follow-up. Just a tiny little mindgame, and it's usually safe to abort quickly if they block it. You can try:
AA > AAA, or AA > AA > F-tilt. You can also try to go for a grab between any set of AAs.

And, my prototype combo!
Monado Art-canceled D-air (First hit only) > Jab/Grab/F-tilt/D-tilt(or F-smash?)
Something I've been toying around with. It's very strict and difficult to pull off, but it's an extra option. Land the first hit (only) of D-air right as the Monado Arts cancel your landing lag. The first hit only nudges the opponent a tiny bit, while you cancel your animation, so you can catch them during that stun.

Intero

Smash Cadet
That's really about all he has. N-air into a tilt or grab at early percents or with Buster up to around 70-80%. I think that U-throw in that last combo (after d-tilt) is avoidable, or may only work on heavy characters. Enemies can also dodge after U-tilt, but it's fairly reliable if you predict and punish their air dodge. Anyway, still good stuff, but Shulk has no true combos aside from the quick N-air stuff, just good follow-ups.

Another one I try sometimes is
N-Air > U-tilt > Air Slash.
You have to be really in their face and hit the N-air late, and it's a very loose combo, but it sets up nicely if they don't expect it.

If you get a nice hit and landing, I'm fairly sure F-smash combos from N-air, but the timing is strict.

Something I've been trying occasionally is AA > follow-up. Just a tiny little mindgame, and it's usually safe to abort quickly if they block it. You can try:
AA > AAA, or AA > AA > F-tilt. You can also try to go for a grab between any set of AAs.

And, my prototype combo!
Monado Art-canceled D-air (First hit only) > Jab/Grab/F-tilt/D-tilt(or F-smash?)
Something I've been toying around with. It's very strict and difficult to pull off, but it's an extra option. Land the first hit (only) of D-air right as the Monado Arts cancel your landing lag. The first hit only nudges the opponent a tiny bit, while you cancel your animation, so you can catch them during that stun.
Thanks for the quick reply :) glad im not the only who thought the Nair was his best approach..also thanks for some really cool ways to spice up my gameplay! One more thing, is his gameplay more hit and run than, try to land as many smashes as possible? with the 1st or 5th Monado about 80%?

Claxus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Claxus
3DS FC
0146-8714-8870
Oh, you're not the only one. N-air is considered Shulk's primary attack, and his defensive and offensive game revolves around it.

Well, him not having too many combos is a good thing, because Shulk plays best with a counter-offensive style. And despite having great smashes, it's actually not a good idea to use them very often. They're among the most punishable smashes in the game, but are great for spacing if you're feeling some good reads. Plus, with the Smash art, he gets easier kill options like F-tilt. Generally to play Shulk you want to be hopping around and zoning out opponents with N-air, and using the range of all your attacks however you can. He has a decent offensive, but is best when you're shutting down enemies with his sheer range. With the Monado Arts, you should just find your own playstyle with them really, it makes him extremely versatile.

His N-air combos are about it for reliable and practical use, but many of his attacks have very advantageous knockback where you can easily chase with some N-airs or other aerials. With Speed and Jump, his chasing potential is incredible. Like just an example, using Speed, hit with F-air, then you can run and go for another F-air. Or with Jump, hit them with a high percentage with U-tilt, then F-air/U-air. Not combos, but very good follow-ups.

Madolche ♦ Procione

Smash Apprentice
This is very intriguing. I did not even think to try and use the animations for switching Monado Arts as gateways for combos. Makes me wonder what other applications of this might pop up. Could add an interesting layer of depth and technical skill if cancelling actions with Monado Arts becomes a thing. That would look so flashy...

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Nair is love nair is life.Also I can't for GC controller...f-throw smash art dacus ftw.

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
Just go straight U-throw U-tilt.
Only works depending on the opponent's weight/falling speed. I can't get Fox at early % because they can immediately get me with an aerial as they go down, since they're so close. I find Captain Falcon has a bit of a hard time doing this, though. Other characters just go out of range, though up throw is a good move for pulling fakies on them.

Up throw > Jump, don't do anything > Get them on the way down/after you land with something quick and reliable
It works rather well, especially against scared people that use a character with a Counter. There's still a need for mixing it up though, they're obviously going to catch on eventually and try to get you next time.

Last edited:

Sui

Smash Cadet
NNID
sui892001
3DS FC
5344-0231-3607
Up throw > Jump, don't do anything > Get them on the way down/after you land with something quick and reliable
It works rather well, especially against scared people that use a character with a Counter. There's still a need for mixing it up though, they're obviously going to catch on eventually and try to get you next time.
I've been mixing up what I try to do after up-throw as well, since most people just EXPECT the up-tilt, I think. Generally I'll try the up-tilt once at the start of the match, since I still can't remember who can and can't escape it, and then based on that I'll hesitate the second time. Characters with counters are REALLY easy to up-smash after the up-throw since they're expecting the up-tilt and the hesitation gets them every time. Also trying up-throw -> jump -> Airslash. Unsure how I feel about this one still, but. Up-tilt is definitely escapable for a lot of characters, so I need to punish those characters some other way. >.>

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
I've been mixing up what I try to do after up-throw as well, since most people just EXPECT the up-tilt, I think. Generally I'll try the up-tilt once at the start of the match, since I still can't remember who can and can't escape it, and then based on that I'll hesitate the second time. Characters with counters are REALLY easy to up-smash after the up-throw since they're expecting the up-tilt and the hesitation gets them every time. Also trying up-throw -> jump -> Airslash. Unsure how I feel about this one still, but. Up-tilt is definitely escapable for a lot of characters, so I need to punish those characters some other way. >.>
That's exactly what I do, except I don't always go for an up smash punish on counters since it's a bit laggy. I try getting them with another grab > f/bthrow for 10%/11% respectively if not stale, or I SH nair in place to at least get some damage and to get them off of me.
BTW, Air Slash is a pretty good kill move apparently, and Monado Smash fthrow kills at around 150%, at least on Shulk himself. Both of these things I found out by doing Shulk dittos with a friend of mine that got me with both.

Last edited:

Intero

Smash Cadet
Thanks for all the tips guys! :D a lot of good stuff here I never even knew, especially "Monado Art-canceled D-air (First hit only) > Jab/Grab/F-tilt/D-tilt(or F-smash?)
Something I've been toying around with. It's very strict and difficult to pull off, but it's an extra option. Land the first hit (only) of D-air right as the Monado Arts cancel your landing lag. The first hit only nudges the opponent a tiny bit, while you cancel your animation, so you can catch them during that stun." Anything else you guys find out i'd really love if you post here, I'll be watching to pick up new stuff to improve

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Don't have game now but I think dthrow to dash attack with speed Monaco.

Intero

Smash Cadet
Don't have game now but I think dthrow to dash attack with speed Monaco.
They usually fly too far or bounce too high to hit, but thanks for the input. Hopefully we can play together when you do get it :)

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
No I have it just not on me now.I'll pm my friend code if you wanna play tomorrow.Or just put it in my sig

Monado Boy

Smash Cadet
While the timing is pretty strict, I've found this combo to be pretty reliable:
At low percents: D-Throw>N-Air>Jab or D-Throw>N-Air>Re-Grab>D-Throw>F-Air. Must be in Monado Speed, and timing is relatively strict. This combo can work at mid percents as well, but you have to be in Monado Buster and the timing is even stricter.

Last edited:

Claxus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Claxus
3DS FC
0146-8714-8870
^ What/Who are you trying that combo on? Don't mean to shut down the idea, but they have time to react after the throw, and N-air has too much startup. It only works if they do nothing after the throw...

Well, here's another cancel combo I've been trying out. It can carry an enemy pretty far.
F-air > Land-cancel MA Speed > Dash > F-air

Jump in with F-air and use the advanced tech to cancel the landing lag, then immediately run and do another F-air. Works around 30-50% on average weight. I'm not completely certain it's a true combo, but if they do have time to react it's extremely short.

The easiest way to start it is full jump, switching to Speed near the peak, and fastfall F-air, it's easy to get the flow down with a little practice. The most reliable way is probably pressing B, run to the enemy, press B again, then quickly shorthop and time a fastfall F-air. Harder to do but faster and less obvious. The good thing is even if they block, you're still safe because of the landing cancel. If the second F-air is offstage, it practically chains into another F-air. Shulk wall of pain combo ftw.

Last edited:

Monado Boy

Smash Cadet
^ What/Who are you trying that combo on? Don't mean to shut down the idea, but they have time to react after the throw, and N-air has too much startup. It only works if they do nothing after the throw...
Primarily people online. I've found it to usually work, but you do have to space the N-Air so that you aren't the opponent's attacking range, although if you think they are going to jump then you have to be closer. So it does kinda rely on reading the opponent as well.

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Primarily people online. I've found it to usually work, but you do have to space the N-Air so that you aren't the opponent's attacking range, although if you think they are going to jump then you have to be closer. So it does kinda rely on reading the opponent as well.
I believe Claxus meant character-wise of who you're using it against.
Though I could be wrong & look derp n slurp for replying when it is not my business.:c

Last edited:

Monado Boy

Smash Cadet
I believe Claxus meant character-wise of who you're using it against.
Though I could be wrong & look derp n slurp for replying when it is not my business.:c
Ah, well in that case I was probably misreading. It's primarily on middle weight to heavy weight characters.

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
U-Throw > U-Tilt is fully avoidable with every character. Just wanted to share my input. :p

Monado Boy

Smash Cadet
U-Throw > U-Tilt is fully avoidable with every character. Just wanted to share my input. :p
Yeah, I found that out when I got started. You can even get hit by most characters before you can U-Tilt. That being said, I've had a fair bit of luck baiting that and instead of trying U-Tilt, using the counter.

Top Bottom