• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Combos at high % into waft?

manatlegs

Smash Rookie
I feel like there is a better way to a get a waft off aside from reading the opponent but I don't know what. Down tilt? Soft forward air? Down throw?

Rakurai

Smash Ace
A late hit on a nair can combo into the waft at KO percents, as can a late hit on a dash attack.

manatlegs

Smash Rookie
Thank you. BTW, down tilt kind of sucks it doesn't even combo into itself :(.

Mary

Smash Rookie
A late hit on a nair can combo into the waft at KO percents, as can a late hit on a dash attack.
Do you have a video of this? I've never seen this in a real match and I tested with a friend that you should be able to tech roll left or right to prevent Wario from comboing off the late dash attack hit.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I'm just going off the fact that it's counted as a combo in training mode.

You also need to connect with the very end of the dash attack in order for it to work on most characters (As the tripping animation varies slightly in length between them).

Mary

Smash Rookie
I know about the late dash thing but the thing is that late dash into jab is counted as a two hit combo combo, but that's only because the AI doesn't tech roll to the left or right unlike what a real opponent can do. I'm pretty sure this isn't a real combo by any means.

Edit: The opponent is placed closer to you if you dash trip them again OTG but otherwise I don't see how this is a real combo, or I could be doing it wrong.

Last edited:

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I'm able to get dash attack to jabs to count as a three hit combo.

You need to make sure you're testing it on a level 9 AI, because the lower settings won't stand up as soon as possible.

You also need to be hitting with the absolute end of the dash attack. Simply hitting with the part that trips isn't enough.

Last edited:

Mary

Smash Rookie
But did the AI roll? That's my whole point. You can do some followups but if they roll you can't, and I don't believe the things they count as combos actually count as combos. Try it with a buddy and you'll see.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I tested it. Rolling doesn't get you out of the trip any faster then standing up does. The game also won't register the hits as a combo if they connect after the character was presented with a chance to stand up or roll.

I imagine you probably were just connecting too early with the dash attack.

Mary

Smash Rookie
Does anyone want to quickly add then delete me afterwards, and demonstrate that it is actually possible? I'd really want to see how it's done correctly if it can be.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I think down tilt is a frame trap.

Even though it doesn't register a combo, I've been able to consistently do down tilt to jab/f tilt.

Mary

Smash Rookie
I just tested it with multiple people including Wafty. This is definitely not a true combo, Rakurai that's false info.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I'd like to get an official, detailed statement about that from one of those people you tested it with, personally.

You also need to account for the fact that it requires seemingly frame perfect timing to work, so even the smallest amount of input lag could keep it from working.

EDIT: I did some more testing. I was wrong about the combo counter, as it'll count as a combo as long as an attack connects before your opponent stands up.

However, I'm still not convinced that it's actually avoidable if it's done properly. When tripping myself and mashing as hard as I could at 1/4 speed, I noticed that while I was able to get up slightly faster then the AI, Wario isn't able to do anything until the dust clouds from him tripping are completely gone (Regardless of whether I rolled, attacked, or stood up), which I used as a point of reference. When I did a perfectly timed dash attack, I was able to hit the AI Wario before said dust clouds had finished disappearing, which has me feeling that it's indeed a true combo, at least in a Wario vs. Wario match-up. The follow-ups seem to be limited to jabs, grabs, and half-charged wafts, though.

I get the impression it also might only possible on certain characters due to slight variances in the length of tripping animation. The timing and spacing required for it also would make it extremely difficult to pull off in an actual match.

Last edited:
Top Bottom