• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Combo Yo

GreenxKing

Smash Rookie
ugh ive been playin young link for some time now and i just cant figure out the best way to start a good combo? someone help please

Saigo

Smash Rookie
There's always the good ol' throw, though be sure you hit with it, cuz if you don't, you're gonna get punished. Anyway, Y. Link's Uthrow and Dthrow are pretty good for comboing into a couple of utilts and maybe a nair boot, thats how I usually do things anyway.

ROB_[MCC}

Smash Apprentice
Bomb (or boomerrang) to nair (dair for kills) is the easiest and most effective combo to pull off. You can really build from that basic combo, for example: Bomb>Rang>SHFFLed nair>dsmash. Caveman does one similar to this in the first few seconds of his combo video to a Fox. The combo is capable of taking an opponent zero to 50 if the rang is point blank.

Nightblade

Smash Journeyman
My combos with Young Link consist of almost entirely a down throw to utilt. Depending on the percentage and character, I can sometimes get some more utilts in and then try and nair (though I suck at the nair, usually comes out as a fair) to boomerang. another nair/fair, and to my shame, if they're high enough, most of the time I try and use the Up+B. I would love if there was a science to making that a useful aerial weapon.

So, basically my typical combo looks something like this (when I'm playing well):

grab -> hilt strike -> dthrow -> utilt (repeat as necessary) -> nair/fair -> boomerang/bomb -> nair/fair

Depending on the percentage/opponent, the nair/fair and boomerang/bomb part can really continue as long as the opponent can't DI out of it or recovers quick enough. Too bad Young Link doesn't have a good aerial spike, or else you could get really nasty around the edge like Marth does.

Just so we don't have a seperate thread, how do you guys often approach your opponents in general? I haven't really seen a thread dedicated to combos and approaches, which seem to be a difficult, if not crucial part of Young Link's game. Also, the projectile guides are nice individually, but something that pulls all of it together would be excellent, like how to string them together. With my Young Link, for example, I have a hard time going from run-and-shoot to shoot-aerial-shoot-aerial and such forth. Also, I don't know nearly all the boomerang physics which it seems most people have to experiment with.

Note: A bit of this is theory, since I'm not really too good with YLink or my adv. techs.

Laijin

Smash Hero
My normal combos are:

Against floaties: Boomerang -> Bomb -> N-air -> Grab -> d-throw -> n-air(finish it here with a u-air if they bounce too high..or..) -> grab again and repeat. Grabing can work on its own of course and so coule the boomerang to n-air.

Against Fast Fallers. If you grab and up-throw at certain percents, you can set them up for a double u-smash into a n-air maybe? Its all situational.

Chip.

you know what to do
I always start off the battles spamming and spacing. I always keep my distance and try to make it virtually impossible to get near. All the combos mentioned above all follow through, during the battle, and are good for starting up damage and finishing opponents off.

In response to NightBlade, same thing just spam projectiles and hoard the field wit them. When enemies start to approach you it will come naturally that you need to either escape or fight back when their near. Practice SHFFL'd nairs or sheild grabs or other defensive thechniques that'll help keep you up in the fight. You need to practice different strategies when fighting opponents far and near from you. Practice makes perfect :)

MonkeyMan

Smash Journeyman
sometimes after a jab the d tilt can pull you into a great combo, but my favorite combo starter is a point blank rang the range is better then a d tilt and same lagg about. throws like stated previously are indeed great combo starters but failed attempts back fire wose then a missed rang or d tilt. One other thing i like to do is a quick sh arrow or regular jump arrow as you run toward the opponent, though bombs usually are more effective.
Edit: Oh and Nairs are your friend! lol

Bane

Smash Journeyman
It's a two step process:
1)Hit them
2)Keep hitting them

On a more serious note:
Comboing isn't something that can be explained, it comes through familiarity and practiced timing, once you have basic combos, down you'll tend to learn your own favorite combinations. Though generally it's a good idea to start with one or a few projectiles to stun your opponent, leaving them vulnearble, as Y. LInk's agressive play isn't as strong as others, and also as Down-throw to up-tilt is a terrific start, as it leaves them very vulerable.

Top Bottom