• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Combo Options

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
I thought I would post some useful semi-combos/combos that I use. Hopefully these will be useful to some, and I hope others will post some useful ones as well. When I have time, I might try to put in exact ranges or specific characters for some more essential combos.

Fox, Falco, Falcon:

Grab -> D-throw -> (0%~20% all but away DI) up-angled F-tilt
Grab -> D-throw -> (~20%~70% all but away DI) DJC U-air.
Grab -> D-throw -> (~70%+ all but away DI) F-smash/U-smash
Grab -> B-throw -> (0%~60% DI away) regrab
B-air -> (0%~60% all but down DI) F-tilt
B-air -> (0%~60% no, up or away DI) D-smash
B-air -> (~60%~100% in or down DI) D-smash
U-air -> (~20%~60% all but down DI) F-tilt/ U-air
U-air -> (~20%~60% down DI) D-smash
N-air -> (~20%~40%) D-smash
N-air -> (~25%~50%) regrab
F-air -> (0%~15%) D-smash/grab
F-air -> (~40%~60% no or up DI) F-smash/ U-smash/ U-tilt
F-air -> (~40%~100% all DI) U-air
F-air -> (~120%+ no DI) DownB
F-air -> (~40%~80%) D-air
D-air -> ledgecancel -> Uair (platform shark, not on stage)
F-tilt -> (40%~70% up, down or no DI) F-tilt/ U-tilt/ DJC N-air/ grab
F-tilt -> (~60%-80% up,down, no DI) F-smash
U-tilt -> (~40%~80% up or no DI) U-tilt/ F-tilt/ F-smash/ DJC N-air/ DJC U-air
Edgegards:
Read low recovery -> Egg -> D-smash/ F-smash
Read low recovery -> LCE -> DownB
(Spacies) From below, coming too high, from above trying to sweetspot -> Dash attack
(Spacies) Missed ledgebrab with SideB -> D-tilt -> edgehog (gimp kill)
(Falcon) Going low for sweetspot -> Instant ledgehog
(Falcon) Going high for sweetspot -> D-tilt/D-smash
RECE toward stage -> Getup attack (Egg covers lag, and looks cool)

More to come, this took longer than expected. Kind of food for thought.

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
Pretty nice combos! I notice that many Yoshi players underrate U-tilt. Also, you can do multiple DJC U-air chains for the second combo you listed; you just have to be very quick. If you mess up and they miss a tech you get a free jab reset that can lead to more U-airs. I'll add to your list:

B-air (last few hits) -> (~140%) N-air (guaranteed kill on Falcon with proper positioning)
D-air -> U-tilt -> U-Smash (Kills Falcon at ~130% on FD)
D-air -> U-tilt -> (no up DI, ~75%) D-Smash (fast fallers)
Grab -> D-throw -> DJC N-air -> regrab -> D-throw (fast fallers, low %)
U-tilt -> (no up DI) low-angled F-tilt chains (Falcon)

I just got back from class so this is all I can come up with for now, but basically U-air and B-air are Yoshi's best combo moves and U-tilt puts opponents in very good positions for another free hit. F-tilt is good for catching opponents off guard, often resulting in them missing a tech which leads to jab reset -> (insert attack of choice here). Same with F-air.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
Those D-air combos, are they from landing -> auto-cancel? or are they landing right after the attack ends -> new attack. I can't combo anything from l-cancelling d-air. I knew about the DJC U-air chain, forgot to put it up, and I really never think to B-air -> N-air. Awesome combos!

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
The D-air combos should work if you L-cancel them; you just have to attack while FFing. At Rule 6 I did quite a few of these but none of my matches were recorded so I can't show you :(. I've also seen D-air -> D-smash a few times but never tried it myself yet. And yeah, B-air -> N-air is guaranteed on almost anyone because N-air is so quick and it comes out before they're out of hitstun in most cases. My favorite is B-air -> ledgecancel -> N-air.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
I've used B-air and then foll,owed up with N-air before, but I've just never tried to combo it. Also, I think Mind Trick posted a vid of him D-air -> D-smashing on a gannon. That is the only combo I go for out of D-air. D-smash and F-tilt have a 6 frame start up, and are his fastest move from the ground other than jab, which I wouldn't use right out of a D-air because of the spacing. U-tilt is 2 frames slower than D-smash and F-tilt, so it may come out too slow. Also, today I did a F-air (meteor-cancelled) -> DownB ledgehog -> LCE. Super situational, but it looked awesome. I love how random Yoshi combos can be.

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
Yeah, Yoshi has very solid combos and a good edge game, but the main problem is that he takes extreme consistency to play well in every moment of a match. I do like that his super armor can help cover up your mistakes, though, but only at low percents really.

Yoshi's recovery is the only one in the game that gets worse as he gets more percent, which is another problem. You can argue that everyone else's recovery gets worse because they get knocked further, but with Yoshi he goes from being impossible to edgeguard to being fairly easily edgeguarded. Fortunately, Yoshi is tied with Mewtwo for the 2nd fastest aerial movement speed in the game; it's suprising how much you can trick your opponent by moving back and forth.

I kinda derailed the topic, but at the same time I wish the Yoshi boards weren't so dead so I can discuss this stuff more :(. Even the Roy and Pichu boards get more activity.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
Yeah, these boards are way to dead. That's one of the reasons I started this thread, I was hoping somebody would say something. Oh well. Over the weekend I got real,ly good at shield dropping though, hopefully that will help me in my game :D

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
Yeah, I think shield dropping is essential for Yoshi and pretty much every character because it provides a safe way of getting out of pressure on a platform. If only Nintendo didn't make it so much harder to do compared to Smash 64's shield dropping :(.

6VI6

Smash Apprentice
Platform cancelled uair leads to lots of stuff, depending on percent, including another platform cancelled uair at 0% for most characters

:phone:

Moos3

Smash Rookie
I like to take a page out of Falcos book and hit a u-tilt ->short hop -> d- air l cancled and repeat.
fair can also begin this combo as well.

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
Purpletuce by chance are you still continuing with the combo options. I was down in florida last week and when i was playing melee i was using the Egg toss to trigger some combo starts

Top Bottom