• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Combo options off grabs

OverlordZelos

Smash Rookie
I've been able to get the popo f-throw to nana pivot regrab to work consistently and I can get nana to f-throw them back to me using the one frame glitch thing semi-consistently. I was wondering how to abuse being able to get nana to throw them back at me do I run up and regrab with popo for a possible semi-infinite to corner carry them for handoffs or wait for nana to grab release then combo them?

And could anyone say how good ice climber chain grabs really are compared to the F-throw to pivot grab setup? Like D-throw>side-B or D-throw>footstool>Dair or even D-throw to jab restand. Also what about techchase setups like D-throw>footstool vs characters who have crappy rolls how good would those be for combo options?

ilysm

sleepy
Hullo, welcome to the Icies boards! There are threads to discuss this. Hope they help!

Also, with regards to your question about abusing the Nana f-throw range for a pseudo-infinite: while a good idea, it's a bit impractical in practice because Popo always needs to dash grab in the other direction to get a regrab (except at maybe zero on fatties? I haven't tested that but even if that works it's pretty irrelevant for reasons I'll get to). Not only does this cause you to lose stage quickly, and has a good chance of taking you too close to an edge to loop it properly, it also leaves the opponent a large window to escape. When Popo does get the grab, he essentially needs to wait for Nana to be right next to him in order to fthrow again. This generally takes long enough for good opponents to mash out. If they're at too high of a percentage to even think about mashing out in this time, odds are good they're at a high enough percent for you to just charge a smash attack out of your grab to begin with. It's best used as a flashy mixup, though it can be used as a situational corner carry to net a spike if your opponent isn't expecting it. It's just not very useful as a chaingrab, and if you want that you usually have better options, which are gone over in the linked thread.

Grab release can be useful, though! Nana pivot grab followed by Popo walk forward slightly and charge fsmash can catch an opponent who doesn't know how to force an air release while mashing and can be a nice way to net a powerful smash attack at around 80%. Also, Nana will uthrow if Popo is close enough. Doing this by running up to her while she's in her frozen grab state lets Popo follow up on opponents faster than a normal midstage handoff since he doesn't need to suffer throw release frames while Nana is throwing. It can make belay kills at early percentages much easier to line up. Popo can even waveland onto platforms and connect jabs, tilts, or smash attacks for stylish kills. I've pulled off Nana up-throw into Popo waveland on platform then up-smash for a cool-looking KO and Nana up-throw into Popo waveland on platform then jab-grab to start a platform handoff. It's a very sweet and flexible setup.

Hope this helps! ^_^

Last edited:

Volume AF

Smash Cadet
Hey we discussed this in our discord group lol (if you haven't joined, I made a post some time ago to join the ICs chat)

Like Indigeau said, you're better of doing other combos from DThrow, if anything, you can practice doing Fthrow regrab to push your grab onto the edge to start a handoff situation. Other than that, DThrow is your go to, unless you want to mixup with the pivot and do UThrow shenanigans. There's a lot to explore so don't give up!

Top Bottom