• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Combo DI

JesteRace

Smash Journeyman
So, it's come to my attention that I am severely lacking in this department. Which, as a Link player, is a pretty big problem. Any tips on not getting rag dolled by Mario/Wolf/Wario/Falcon/etc

Beorn

Smash Journeyman
Against those characters there isn't much you can do once you are hit. You just named some of the best comboers in the game. DI wolfs shine up if you don't want to get wolf flashed and he has a grab 50 50 you need to watch out for on down and back throw I think. You can't DI marios down throw at most percents, but you can mix up your DI on mario for a few moves. Marios up air and dtilt got a lower angle on some hitbubbles so down and away should work at higher percents for both. If you get down thrown by falcon dI down and away, then tech, so he can just grab you again and use u-throw like he should have the first time. Most of the time though these characters have completely free combos on you. Good DI means teching against some of the best tech chasers in the game, that can kill you extremely low off a couple of confirms. Plus, good combo DI on these characters in particular will completely **** Link at low percents. (hope you haven't used your up-b yet and staled it.) It's often your only option to tech, though because of how big Link is and how bad his tech roll is it doesn't really help. My best advice against the combos of these characters is win neutral before they do and make the most of that punish. Add sheik to that list. These are all some of Links terrible matchups.

TLDR. You can't in most circumstances against most of their moves, but there are a few you can force a tech chase on, or nair out before they hit you again. Do not ever use Links tiny second jump to try and avoid these characters combos. You will get gimped at 60 and be saltier than you probably already are in these matchups.

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion
So, it's come to my attention that I am severely lacking in this department. Which, as a Link player, is a pretty big problem. Any tips on not getting rag dolled by Mario/Wolf/Wario/Falcon/etc
Falcon in particular, if you can DI knee on reaction it gets waaaay easier. But DI uairs hard away and knee hard up and in past 70%, but if you're going cross-stage, DI the knee straight away to maximize the distance you fly until about 90% [Falcon can double knee us].

Here's the real secret to DI offstage vs Falcon at low percents: If Falcon has to use his double jump to hit the next aerial [he's below you where uair doesn't look like it'll reach], DI hard up and in [survival DI], as he shouldn't be able to hit you again. If he hasn't used his double jump yet, you have to DI away unless you're 100% sure knee is coming [and if you're so sure, it's probably because you're dead anyway, so don't DI it]. I myself still mess this up [more like I rarely get it], but uair -> knee offstage will kill you super early if you survival DI the uair, as that combos into knee, but if you DI the uair away at 50%, you won't die [unless it's like Yoshi's or some place really tiny] but Falcon won't be able to get his knee without SDing and therefore won't go for it.

Once you get to like 130%+ you can just survival DI the uair/knee mixup [at that percent uair should be launching you high enough to not combo into knee], but it's unlikely you'll reach that percent. Note that even at those percents, things like weak knee to strong knee will combo on survival DI, but you just straight up die if you combo DI a uair at that percent. When you get grabbed at super high percents, you have to guess if he'll dthrow or uthrow - on uthrow, at high enough percents you go so high he can't even uair [I'm talking the ridiculous percents like 170], but if you do this DI on dthrow you just get uair'd or knee'd and die, while if you DI away on uthrow it's easy to uair you, but if he dthrows you he struggles to followup with anything but a tech chase. Fthrow/bthrow can also kill if you DI for dthrow so... good luck?

The short of it: DI against Falcon is just really hard.

I don't have nearly as much specific advice for the others because I play them less. I can do something on some specific Wario situations if you want but I know little about the others.

JesteRace

Smash Journeyman
I didn't include Sheik and Falco cause I already knew those matchups were hopeless, that's why I dual-main Luigi. By the sounds of it, these are all "Luigi matchups" as well. Thor, I'm all for specific Wario stuff. I anticipate I'll be seeing a lot of him.

Top Bottom