• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Combo/Consecutive hit counter for multiplayer/All modes

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
I think it would be cool if in multiplayer mode or in all modes that you could have some kind of a consecutive hit display similar to Training mode. It could be displayed to the right of each players percents or replace the character portrait. Or it could even display above each character, with the players name. The numbers can be color coded P1 red, P1 blue, P3 yellow, and P4 green. I think this will help new players understand true combos. It will also help players of all skill levels alike. Plus it will give players that fighting game feel. What does everyone think?

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
20XX does this already somehow, so it's doable. The timer at the top just stays at the same number, and only increases/decreases when consecutive hits are landed iirc. But...ideally this could be put into PM without looking as...tacky? More distinction as a combo counter --> more intuitive at first glance? (the first time I saw the 20XX counter, I just thought it was glitched up somehow...)

Anyhow, I'd be all for this. It'd be a neat feature to integrate somewhere in the options menu (or the special versus modes I guess...not sure if we're running out of options/modes to replace)

Last edited:

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
Well the consecutive hit counter from melee/brawl is more like a true combo counter. So Combo counter or whatever title works. I just think it will add to the game and more players understanding of it for sure. If it is doable boys come on lets get it! If it has to take a mode up or whatever it needs to do I am fine with that. I think it is the last thing we need for a multiplayer option.

Arcalyth

GLS | root
I always thought this would be hype until I realized that a ZTD combo is only gonna be like 10 hits tops. Seeing a 3 hit counter for dthrow>ftilt>fair all the time is really boring.

To me hit counters are hype in other games because seeing like a 30+ hit combo isn't uncommon.

Last edited:

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
I always thought this would be hype until I realized that a ZTD combo is only gonna be like 10 hits tops. Seeing a 3 hit counter for dthrow>ftilt>fair all the time is really boring.

To me hit counters are hype in other games because seeing like a 30+ hit combo isn't uncommon.
It's all relative; even though we may not be getting 30+ hit combos (much less past the 100s at maaaahvel), I'm sure that over time smashers will come to understand our own standards and the hype will figure itself out. At the very least, it'd be a great feature to have (if non-intrusive in the interface) in both regular matches and - for those who use them - the turbo/0-to-death modes.

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
People understand that in smash there won't be huge true combos. It would be more so people see what is reliable and inescapable. Some knew players don't understand that they can escape "combos." Since most aren't true combos.

It could even be a Debug mode thing. Where you can turn it on and off through there.

Top Bottom