• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Combo Breaker?

PyroTakun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ta-kun
The other night I was playing against WS|2Fast's Luigi who was pwning me left and right with D-Throw+Double Aerials. I realized that N-Air and F-Air clearly weren't fast enough, and I honestly thought that I had too much hitstun to even break the combos.

But then I tried B-Air and the front Hitbox of it actually hit Luigi and stopped the assault.

Might need more testing, but maybe a well-timed/ spaced B-Air is our combo-breaker option?

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Yes, it is. Bair hits slightly in front, but you need godly timing. Bair hits on frame 7 while nair and fair are frame 12. It's good against characters who lacks disjoint like Luigi and when your other attacks are a bit too slow. It's a risk, but it may be worth it if that's all you can do.

Last edited:

PyroTakun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ta-kun
Yes, it is. Bair hits slightly in front, but you need godly timing. Bair hits on frame 7 while nair and fair are frame 12. It's good against characters who lacks disjoint like Luigi and when your other attacks are a bit too slow. It's a risk, but it may be worth it if that's all you can do.
If it's capable of interrupting Shiek and Luigi F-Air strings, that'll be good enough for me.

Kimchi

Smash Ace
Fort Lee, NJ / Cornell University - Ithaca, NY
I'm starting to be convinced aerial approaches are very difficult to pull off against faster characters like Sheik/Luigi/Diddy. Whiffed Nair is pretty punishable by these characters and Fair has to be pretty well-spaced to be safe. Ground approaches/Bairs seem to be the way to go though since shield dashing got nerfed, seems to be that Bair is our best option. I'm a bit lost so any better Ike mains than me at this game could definitely shed some light on this.

PyroTakun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ta-kun
I'm starting to be convinced aerial approaches are very difficult to pull off against faster characters like Sheik/Luigi/Diddy. Whiffed Nair is pretty punishable by these characters and Fair has to be pretty well-spaced to be safe. Ground approaches/Bairs seem to be the way to go though since shield dashing got nerfed, seems to be that Bair is our best option. I'm a bit lost so any better Ike mains than me at this game could definitely shed some light on this.
B-Airs, Tomahawks, and empty hops are what I find to be the best approaches for them. You need to see how they respond to your approaches, and respond to them.

It's a very defensive way to go about it, but it's the most effective imo.

Top Bottom