• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Combating Shiek:How can I effectively handle one?

SonicLucario

Smash Journeyman
I main Sonic and have trouble against my brother when he is Shiek.I try comboing my side and down specials but he just uses the needles to stop me in my tracks.I try and get in close but he stuns me with needles and just combos me to high percentages.How can I combat Shiek effectively?

BadGuy

Smash Journeyman
Homing attack, while he charging up his needles. If he starts to throw continuously, jump over him and use his nair then into ftilt.

Lyoncet

Smash Apprentice
I'd say not to approach with spindashes, since they're vulnerable to needle spam. Just run at him, and shield the needles. It's not quite as pretty, but it's probably a better idea.

Jooce Bocks

Smash Cadet
If he is able to needle you out of your Side or Down B then you are obviously trying to implement it from too far of a distance. In my opinion you should never try to charge a Side B or Down B from a distance, especially against someone with projectiles; it just becomes too predictable too quickly. If he needles every time you charge one of these moves then you may be able to catch him off guard by shield canceling the Side B or by jumping up while charging it. If you're close and quick enough you may be able to take advantage of this and get a hit or two. However, even this is going to get you nowhere if you do it from the opposite side of the stage.

Also, try shield dashing to stop the needles and don't be afraid to take a needle or two if it is required to get in close. If you do a shield out of your run directly in front of Sheik then you shouldn't have a problem with the needles stunning you into combos. In fact, you should be able to grab or pull off some other fast hit since shields are so fast in Brawl. Also, I am not sure how well it works since I have no people to play against at the moment, but try and see if an FAir or NAir approach will cancel out the needles.

With the information provided, all else I can think of is don't be too predictable. While shield canceling into Sheik's face can be good for stopping needle stunning the first few times, even it will get too predictable and a good Sheik would stop tossing needles in these situations and punish you appropriately. Try approaching with the shield, dash attacks, shield canceled (and sometimes not canceled) Side Bs, FAirs, feints, and anything else you can possibly come up with.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Jooce, you never know, maybe his brother has good reaction times. Even from a relatively close distance because of the charge up time it's not impossible to stop the dash with some needles or an attack.

SL, if you're brother has time to charge needles other than at the start of the game and when you die you're giving him too much breathing room.

SonicLucario

Smash Journeyman
I see what you're all talking about and it's true.I guess Sonic's strategy is not universal which is something I should know by now.I'l try and adjust my approach for character's with projectiles especially Shiek and Pit (just to name a few) and other characters that can combat his strengths.

Dark Anakin

Smash Rookie
One of my best mates plays as Sheik, but I have not yet faced her. It should be interesting to say the least by the looks of it......

Top Bottom