• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cloud's "Best Match-Up" (Opinions if you Disagree Please Post Tell Me I Would Love to Hear)

(Samn)

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3153-5057-8213
Cloud's Best Match-Ups-
:4myfriends: I think Cloud fights Ike well because Cloud has a projectile which helps shut down Ike if you hit him from far long distance when he's using Side-B to recover, its also not hard to hit Ike with Finishing Touch when hes recovering with Side B. Also Most of Clouds moves come out way Fast except for F-Air, but Ike beats Cloud in recovery but thats not too hard.

:4bowser: Cloud can get a lot of damage against Bowser, He can get a lots of up tilts and and lead into a N-air, and Up-B, and Up-Air, or an Up-Smash, Cloud it weaker than Bowser, but he is still stronger, and with limit break he out speeds Bowser too much, and gets even better moves than before

:4littlemac: Cloud may have really poor recovery without limit, but even without Little Mac still have a worse recovery option. He can Charge Limit which forces Mac to approach him and then Cloud can use his D-Smash (While Charging Limit if you tap Down on the C-Stick and press shield right away he does a Smash) then he can punish and or gimp Little Mac from there

No0dle

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2079-8980-3177
Yeah little mac's side b has a lot of lag when used as a recovery option onto the stage and can be easily punished with a d-smash or a finishing touch

Any character that is heavy and/or has a lot of moves with lag is bad against cloud due to his insane punish game and ability to juggle with how long u-air stays out.

(Samn)

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3153-5057-8213
Yeah little mac's side b has a lot of lag when used as a recovery option onto the stage and can be easily punished with a d-smash or a finishing touch

Any character that is heavy and/or has a lot of moves with lag is bad against cloud due to his insane punish game and ability to juggle with how long u-air stays out.
Yea

D

Deleted member

I'm cringing at the fact you did not close the quotation marks...

nerdbot

Smash Rookie
Hi, ROB player here. His best matchup is ROB. Hope that helps

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

How is R.O.B. one of Cloud's better matchups? Shouldn't it be one of Cloud's worst matchups? I feel like R.O.B. can body Cloud off-stage and you can't really Limit camp against R.O.B.

No0dle

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2079-8980-3177
yea he has projectiles for camping and he has amazing recovery for gimps

nerdbot is crazy yo

TheGoodGuava

Smash Ace
Dude, Bayonetta does terrible against Cloud. She has literally NO way to get in and start combos and she cant even camp him because its Cloud and he can outcamp her so well

Last edited:

nerdbot

Smash Rookie
I'm half-joking because I hate the matchup. It's probably not The Worst Matchup Ever. But hear me out.

Cloud's best-in-class aerials can force ROB to stay offstage for a very, very long time. He's big and he has a very floaty, slow, defenseless recovery. Once you get Cloud offstage as ROB, he usually stays there, but unlike a lot of other matchups, Cloud can do the same back to you.

Last edited:

No0dle

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2079-8980-3177
Clouds best matchup is not sheik

10/10 IGN says "the best advice"

(Samn)

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3153-5057-8213
I think that R.O.B has more advantages over Cloud because of strong aerials and a nice recovery

Dude, Bayonetta does terrible against Cloud. She has literally NO way to get in and start combos and she cant even camp him because its Cloud and he can outcamp her so well
Thats true, but Cloud is allergic to her down smash when he is recovering

I'm cringing at the fact you did not close the quotation marks...
Who?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

:4wario:

Pretty easily one of Cloud's best MUs. Cloud can abuse Wario's poor range and lack of consistent KOing options, and his aerials along with Blade Beam can just wall him out for days. Wario despite having very good air mobility, can't really do much when Cloud Limit camps because he lacks a long-ranged poke to negate it.

MiloniVanili

Smash Apprentice
Al ot of heavy characters are bad against Cloud xD
D3 is especially bad against cloud because his up b is easy to spike, he is a fast faller and cant jump away from u air juggles, gordos are horrible against him, and he cant whiff ANY ground move without dying to limit cross slash or finishing touch.

Trash Boat

Smash Rookie
NNID
MrBossDude
Nah man ROB can keep him out pretty well, and charging limit dosen't force ROB to approach, if anything it give cloud less options at a range. All in all I would say cloud ROB is even.

(Samn)

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3153-5057-8213
Nah man ROB can keep him out pretty well, and charging limit dosen't force ROB to approach, if anything it give cloud less options at a range. All in all I would say cloud ROB is even.
Yea I think ROB beat Cloud because of the heavy hits and the camping

C3PO

Smash Cadet
NNID
C3POSmash
Just putting this out there. Cloud bodies Diddy; 6-4. :(

AvocadoEth

Smash Rookie
So, I regularly practice against an Ike main, I think it's safe to say that that matchup is not as bad as it seems. It seems pretty even actually, since Ike can be so safe on shield with Fair/Nair -> jab. Also, the Cloud needs very good spacing in order to spike Ike during his up-B with Dair. Honestly, the only big advantage Cloud gets is that he can easily win neutral with limit charge and blade beam (which is still a big deal) but other than that it's pretty even. (Also, if the Cloud doesn't mixup his recovery, he's gonna get bodied offstage, but that's obvious)

diddles

Smash Apprentice
I still really think cloud is really hurt just because of his recovery anyone who out ranges him or just to fast his going to have a very hard time but his kit is still amazing

AvocadoEth

Smash Rookie
I still really think cloud is really hurt just because of his recovery anyone who out ranges him or just to fast his going to have a very hard time but his kit is still amazing
Absolutely, but this can make some matchups against characters with reliable and disjointed meteors (lookin at you Rosalina) pretty difficult

Last edited:

diddles

Smash Apprentice
Absolutely, but this can make some matchups against characters with reliable and disjointed meteors (lookin at you Rosalina) pretty difficult
Omg yea or pika because he has so many off stage things to do

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
:4wario:

Pretty easily one of Cloud's best MUs. Cloud can abuse Wario's poor range and lack of consistent KOing options, and his aerials along with Blade Beam can just wall him out for days. Wario despite having very good air mobility, can't really do much when Cloud Limit camps because he lacks a long-ranged poke to negate it.
Yeah I main Wario and it's pretty bad but not impossible. Wario does have some things going for him though. Bike and bite both beat blade beam actually so Cloud really can't utilize it since at midranges Wario can just side b on reaction and punish. Only exception is limit blade beam, but Wario can eat it still.

Wario can edgeguard Cloud really well. Dash attack beats Cloud's up B at the ledge and dair is really good for getting around Cloud's hitbox on his Up B and spiking. And then as always there is waft. So that helps offset how horrible neutral is for Wario.

Oh, and Cloud has to approach when he has limit fully charged because of waft...unless waft is also fully charged. That helps Wario in neutral.

Probably like 65-35 in Cloud's favor.

Wario gets destroyed in neutral but has good wildcards in waft and his gimp game. There's characters who don't have those wildcards but also get destroyed in neutral just as badly if not worse, which is why Wario is not Cloud's single best matchup.

So I think Cloud beats a few other characters worse like :4zelda::4bowser::4ganondorf::4jigglypuff::4dedede::4kirby::4littlemac:.

I think puff is Cloud's best matchup.

Last edited:

(Samn)

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3153-5057-8213
So, I regularly practice against an Ike main, I think it's safe to say that that matchup is not as bad as it seems. It seems pretty even actually, since Ike can be so safe on shield with Fair/Nair -> jab. Also, the Cloud needs very good spacing in order to spike Ike during his up-B with Dair. Honestly, the only big advantage Cloud gets is that he can easily win neutral with limit charge and blade beam (which is still a big deal) but other than that it's pretty even. (Also, if the Cloud doesn't mixup his recovery, he's gonna get bodied offstage, but that's obvious)
Thats a good point

Yeah I main Wario and it's pretty bad but not impossible. Wario does have some things going for him though. Bike and bite both beat blade beam actually so Cloud really can't utilize it since at midranges Wario can just side b on reaction and punish. Only exception is limit blade beam, but Wario can eat it still.

Wario can edgeguard Cloud really well. Dash attack beats Cloud's up B at the ledge and dair is really good for getting around Cloud's hitbox on his Up B and spiking. And then as always there is waft. So that helps offset how horrible neutral is for Wario.

Oh, and Cloud has to approach when he has limit fully charged because of waft...unless waft is also fully charged. That helps Wario in neutral.

Probably like 65-35 in Cloud's favor.

Wario gets destroyed in neutral but has good wildcards in waft and his gimp game. There's characters who don't have those wildcards but also get destroyed in neutral just as badly if not worse, which is why Wario is not Cloud's single best matchup.

So I think Cloud beats a few other characters worse like :4zelda::4bowser::4ganondorf::4jigglypuff::4dedede::4kirby::4littlemac:.

I think puff is Cloud's best matchup.
Thats interesting, I ive only gone against a few wario's and got beat, but I can see where you are coming from might be my bad Wario fighting skills

Personally I think Bayonetta Wins because all She needs to do is get him off stage and down smash because he doesn't clip the stage

Last edited by a moderator:

TheGoodGuava

Smash Ace
Personally I think Bayonetta Wins because all She needs to do is get him off stage and down smash because he doesn't clip the stage
Thats gonna be hard to do considering Cloud absolutely destroys Bayonetta in the neutral and his climhazzard out-prioritizes her downsmash

(Samn)

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3153-5057-8213
I agree with the first part but really all you need to do when a cloud is off stage is Time a good witch time, but I totally see where you are coming from

AvocadoEth

Smash Rookie
While this is true, the Bayo-Cloud matchup has to be played very passively. Camping in neutral, letting the Bayo aproach, and basically waiting for the Bayo to mess up a combo or reveal any particular habit. Because of this, Cloud's punish game needs to be completely perfect in order to take stocks at any opening the Bayo gives.

Glitchz

Smash Rookie
How is R.O.B. one of Cloud's better matchups? Shouldn't it be one of Cloud's worst matchups? I feel like R.O.B. can body Cloud off-stage and you can't really Limit camp against R.O.B.
I disagree. Cloud is faster than ROB and can force ROB to throw out projectiles when he approaches. Most of the battle, you just need to punish ROB when he does something Wrong

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
ROB also has huge issues landing in general, Cloud's upair honestly recks him. Cloud juggles for days. Probably not Cloud's easiest matchup because he can't limit camp as well, but it's definitely in Cloud's favor.

Last edited:

Cronoc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cronoc
As a Bowser main I find the Bowser talk here amusing, I don't grimace when I see Cloud like I do many other high tier characters. Maybe it's a 45:55 or even 40:60 matchup at worst, but that's out of respect for Cloud's neutral. Bowser can turn those tables real fast if the Cloud messes anything up. So fast you'd think this wasn't a bad matchup at all...

AvocadoEth

Smash Rookie
As a Bowser main I find the Bowser talk here amusing, I don't grimace when I see Cloud like I do many other high tier characters. Maybe it's a 45:55 or even 40:60 matchup at worst, but that's out of respect for Cloud's neutral. Bowser can turn those tables real fast if the Cloud messes anything up. So fast you'd think this wasn't a bad matchup at all...
I agree for the most part, however I feel when the matchup starts to become more difficult as soon as Cloud forces Bowser to land. From what I understand, Bowser's landing options are lackluster to say the least, and Clouds u-air can juggle Bowser incredibly easily.

TL;DR: Bowser sucks at landing, and gets bodied in neutral. MU 60:40 at best

pepi1197

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pepi1197
The :4ganondorf:matchup is pretty dang favorable from what I've played at least. Ganon's absolutely trash grab range, slow dash speed and his weight make him aerial juggle fodder. Ganon is also easy to gimp with the basic neutral-B to runoff Nair edgeguard. Finally, the startup on a lot of his moves also tends to preclude any of the three hit comeback issues that are in the Bowser matchup.

Top Bottom