• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Choosing my main

Altea77

Smash Apprentice
Marth was my main in Melee, and i'm looking for someone who plays like he did in Melee, in SSB4. I heard some good things about Shulk, but i feel like he might be a bit slow. Any suggestions? Also a good dair spike would be great.

Last edited:

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
A good start is going over all the sword users in the game first like Marth (again), Lucina, Shulk, Ike, etc. See if any of them feel similar to Melee Marth and go from there.

Raijinken

Smash Master
If Shulk feels slow, just swap him over to Speed mode (blue). Freakin' fast.

Personally, as a fellow Marth main from past games, I recommend Shulk, Marth, and Ike. Shulk has the sort of range feel Marth had. Ike has a similar feel, but with more power (since the patch his fair is pretty great for chasing and stuff). Pit/Dark Pit are also pretty good for the midair combo chasing game. There's always Lucina, too, since she shares his moveset.

As for dair spikes, you've got plenty of options. :4falcon::4charizard::4darkpit::4dedede::4diddy::4dk::4duckhunt::4falco::4ganondorf::4greninja::4myfriends::4kirby::4link::4lucina::4luigi::4marth::4megaman::4miibrawl::4ness::4olimar::4palutena::4rob::4robinm::rosalina::4samus::4shulk::4villager::4wiifit:and :4zelda: all have obvious ones. I believe, but am less certain, that :4zss::4sheik:and :4pit: also have 'em, though I'm not positive on that.

Shulk's fair and nair in speed mode work pretty well for a pseudo-Ken-Combo. Ness and Ike can go for similar tricks, as can Dark Pit and Charizard.

Altea77

Smash Apprentice
If Shulk feels slow, just swap him over to Speed mode (blue). Freakin' fast.

Personally, as a fellow Marth main from past games, I recommend Shulk, Marth, and Ike. Shulk has the sort of range feel Marth had. Ike has a similar feel, but with more power (since the patch his fair is pretty great for chasing and stuff). Pit/Dark Pit are also pretty good for the midair combo chasing game. There's always Lucina, too, since she shares his moveset.

As for dair spikes, you've got plenty of options. :4falcon::4charizard::4darkpit::4dedede::4diddy::4dk::4duckhunt::4falco::4ganondorf::4greninja::4myfriends::4kirby::4link::4lucina::4luigi::4marth::4megaman::4miibrawl::4ness::4olimar::4palutena::4rob::4robinm::rosalina::4samus::4shulk::4villager::4wiifit:and :4zelda: all have obvious ones. I believe, but am less certain, that :4zss::4sheik:and :4pit: also have 'em, though I'm not positive on that.

Shulk's fair and nair in speed mode work pretty well for a pseudo-Ken-Combo. Ness and Ike can go for similar tricks, as can Dark Pit and Charizard.
Which ones have the easiest hit box to spike? For example, Marth still has a spike, but the hitbox is significantly harder to hit than in the past games.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Which ones have the easiest hit box to spike? For example, Marth still has a spike, but the hitbox is significantly harder to hit than in the past games.
Of those that aren't single-hitbox spikers (such as Ganondorf), Shulk's can be pretty easy, as is Zelda's. Greninja's is one of the harder ones since if you miss (and are offstage) you die. I'd say the rest are all average-to-hard to land.

Honestly, I'd say go with Shulk unless you run into something you just don't like about him. He's got more reach than Marth's little dagger now, can do similar aerial chasing, has a counter, spike, similar recovery, and so on. Plus, if you get used to using the Monado Arts, he's a very flexible character that can adapt on the fly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom