• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

choosing a fire emblem character

elliotnz

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0662-5906-3244
I wan't to play a fire emblem character but I'm not sure which one to go with. I'm casual looking to go into competitive

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Ike is a very basic character that is less execution dependant than the other FE characters and still relatively strong.
However, he does have a more glaring weakness in his speed and recovery.

I recommend just trying them all out and finding a moveset that jibes well with you first before dedicating your time to one specifically.

Last edited:

7 or 7

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 1094 6225 9234
Chrom, he is arguably the best swordsman in the game and a fairly simple character. I'd recommend trying all of them out and seeing which one clicks with you tho.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
Ike is a very basic character that is less execution dependant than the other FE characters and still relatively strong.
However, he does have a more glaring weakness in his speed.

I recommend just trying them all out and finding a moveset that jibes well with you first before dedicating your time to one specifically.
I feel like while Ike is basic and easy to learn, that because of his move speed and how slow his attscks come out that he might actually require more knowledge depending on what skill bracket he plays in. You have to read people with Ike.

Last edited:

Uffe

Smash Hero
People are currently saying Chrom, but I don't understand the reasoning. Yeah, he's fast, he's got fast fall speed, and I guess a killer up B that spikes, but really, I wouldn't touch him because of his recovery. I'd go with Marth, honestly. He's got good kill options, he's a tad bit floatier than Roy or Chrom, his recovery feels so much more reliable, and tipper is deadly. Unless you like fast fallers, I'd probably go with Roy. I think he kills much earlier than Marth. Try out each FE character, but really consider Marth or Roy, heck, maybe even Ike. Unless you want to jump on the bandwagon, then go Chrom.

ps_

Banned via Warnings
They're all the exact same. People will niggle about extremely minute differences, but all of them mash forward-air and get rewarded for doing anything. They all feel alike.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I feel like while Ike is basic and easy to learn, that because of his move speed and how fast his attscks come out that he might actually require more knowledge depending on what skill bracket he plays in. You have to read people with Ike.
Yeah, actually that's a very fair point as you climb higher up the skill ranks.
However, at the presumably beginner level OP is, I think Ike is pretty beginner friendly.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Lucina is great for beginners. Chrom is probably better but his recovery might be a problem.

Marmotbro

Smash Apprentice
:ultike:: You want big hits and hard reads? Look no further. He can be a bit slow but his aerials are good and he kills early. You can also pretend you are Guts.

:ultmarth:: the classic. You need to focus on spacing people just right to get tippers, and when you do man you wreck face. But when you don't...eh, he's still ok.

:ultroy:: Marth may tease her with the tip, but Roy goes BALLS DEEP. You wanna get up in their face and stay there. not being in their face is bad and don't do that.

:ultlucina:: UNGA BUNGA ME CAN'T TIPPER BUT WANT BE GOOD. No real reason to choose Marth when Lucina exists unless you are a god at landing tippers. She is more consistent. Just know everyone secretly knows you are lamer for picking her.

:ultchrom:: What I said about Lucina but even stronger and with Roy's moveset instead of Marth's. In most matchups, Chrom kinda just does what he wants. He is definitely the tryhard choice, just be careful of people who know the matchup, they will throw you off and make you die. Also a "lame" choice.

:ultcorrin:: The hipster choice. has gimmicks but is still a swordie at heart. Has a decent projectile and some more mixups and range, but lacks the raw power of the others.

:ultrobin:: is most likely not the type of character you are going for. when you say "Fire Emblem" I assume you mean a swordie. Robin is a slow paced, defensive zoner. Who knows? that might be your thing.

Special Mentions:

:ultcloud:: Cloud plays like a weaker Ike with more gimmicks. Limit can win you the game, but he isn't as good as he was in smash4.

:ultmetaknight:: is basically a mini swordie. He is faster and has true combos, and is way better in the air, but he is finicky and can have trouble killing.

Madwario

Smash Apprentice
Roy, the rest of the FE characters are bland in looks and design.

Trust me, youll love him. He got that 80s manga looks and his attacks are litteraly fire.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Roy, the rest of the FE characters are bland in looks and design.

Trust me, youll love him. He got that 80s manga looks and his attacks are litteraly fire.
I get you like Roy, but you don't need to constantly put down other FE characters. I like Roy but I really can't see what's so different about his design except his hair color, tbh.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
You like reliable rushdown characters with the ability to space when needed, and can go for a sacrificial KO when at a stock lead? Chrom's the bomb. :ultchrom:

You want to focus more on being rewarded for good spacing while having a more manageable recovery? Marth's great. :ultmarth:

Either one is also a certified Good Egg™ and two of my personal favorite characters on the roster.

Madwario

Smash Apprentice
I get you like Roy, but you don't need to constantly put down other FE characters. I like Roy but I really can't see what's so different about his design except his hair color, tbh.
Its the Melee design which i like the most, its better than the later games, his cartoonish Megaman-like face, costume, blue glooves, fiery attacks and Saiyan hairstyle with a corona, its what i liked about him. The moment i started playing him, blue warrior with red fiery attacks made me think back to the early 80s.

Now hes more on par with the rest of the bland FE characters, sadly. I wish his Melee style came back. Still, he is the only FE character i personally play. Ive been playing so much free anime rpg games on pc and mobile (where blue and white-pink hair is among the most frequent hair colours?) that the rest of the FE characters doesnt appeal to me but maybe others like them, its just my taste.

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Roy is my favorite just because of his appearance. As much as I dislike Corrin, I can't deny that he has some fun moves.

Top Bottom