• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Checkmate!

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
Hello everyone
I joined a while ago but recently found my old account details.
I am overly hyped for the new smash game just like last time with brawl.

I guess I'm too late to show support for Robin as he/she was already announced

Here's to hoping for Mewtwo and Roy's comeback
and hopefully the addition of many newcomers to make an amazing roster!

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Welcome back! Upon your return, you are granted 3 cool points for sporting a Robin avatar/sig and supporting Robin in general.

Morbi

Scavenger
It certainly feels counter-intuitive welcoming a user that has joined the site years before you, but if I would be so bold, "welcome to Smash Boards!" Robin is indeed a worthy reason to return.

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
hahaha, I was excited for Zelda last time I joined and posted only a few things. This new smash is way more awesome and I can see Sakurai having more fun with his work. I think he's one of the greatest developers ever, just looking at his track record, he's always made exceptional games.

Thanks for all the welcomes guys/girls!

And I made that sig btw, you can find it here http://smashboards.com/threads/robin-support-banner.361395/#post-17089635

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Indeed. Although many competitive players weren't satisfied with Brawl, I enjoyed it during the time I played it. It was just a different experience and that's how I treated it. Thinking each Smash game is going to feel like the previous iteration is a mindset that can set you up for disappointment imo.

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
I think the most hardcore players are the loudest. Me and my friends have played Smash since the 64 days. Everyone agrees Brawl is the true successor based on game speed and gravity. We all loved Melee when it was out, but we all think Brawl is better. This doesn't mean it doesn't have its flaws. It has many, which makes us super excited for the new game. Hitstun being back is amazing!!

On a sidenote, Where I am from Melee is dead. Nobody likes Project M but me. We only play Brawl Minus or regular Brawl as the only tournaments here are Brawl.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Really? That's actually very interesting. It's pretty much the opposite in most other places.

But yeah, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I'm just not a fan of when people bash Brawl and aren't aware that it can make some Brawl players feel inferior that they're playing a game that's "trash" and doesn't require much "skill" to play :/

They're two completely different games in the same universe. I find that exciting. Though I enjoy watching and playing Melee/PM more, I will never knock Brawl since I enjoyed it a lot during the time I actively played the game.

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
I think the main problem is that they are so different. Smash 64 was the original and Melee made it faster, heavier and more technical. Brawl just went back to making it floaty, but then did a couple of things horribly wrong in my opinion: tripping, lack of hitstun.

These options made the meta extremely campy.

I guess most people around here rather have new characters and celebrate nintendo, than just stick with an old game because it was good.

In my personal opinion? I don't want melee 2, I want them to move forward and improve and polish until they have a better smash game. Melee i cool, but I feel like the series accidentally stumbled and went into a different direction from what Sakurai himself envisions for the smash series as a whole. *coughwavedashcough*

hype for smash 4?

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I agree, especially with the last point.

And yeah, I'm pretty hype for Smash 4, especially after Monday's reveals. And I like what I've been seeing so far. Some people have been casting their judgments prematurely and writing off the game (due to the demo build) way too early imo primarily due to the fear of "Brawl 2.0". Even if the game turns out to play as a more polished form of Brawl, I'm okay with that, no complaints. Thing is, I'm not expecting it to - The game will be like every other previous installment has been (it's own feel, therefore, it's own game).

So far the roster is looking to be very interesting, unique stages (though with the ones revealed so far, not many of them are going to be competitive, but that's alright) and excited to get a feel for how it plays out. And as always, it's going to be interesting to see how the meta develops.

So yeah, definitely hype.

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
Yeah! I am quite happy. Ever since Brawl Sakurai has tones down the ridiculous stages, but people didn't bite. So now he outright made Final Destination versions of many. This alleviates my frustrations. Whenever people are over, they all want to play on FD and trust me, the music and stage becomes repetitive. So much content poured into the game and they insist on spamming FD. Even though we all know Battlefield is the most balanced stage.
:p

I am happy with the roster now. Even though it stings to have lost Roy and Mewtwo.... I can live on now as I have a good enough replacement. Lucina being a separate character bothers me on many levels though. Making a Marth clone is okay, I guess, but I would rather have some animations that at least look slightly different. Anyone who played Awakening knows that Lucina's idle pose is not the same as Marth at all. Why not keep her a costume and keep the tipper? Sometimes Sakurai contradicts himself and confuses me.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Yeah, having FD versions for the stages was definitely a nice addition. mainly for the scenery and music. It'd be a nice surprise if Battlefield versions are secretly included as well.

For all we know, Roy may come back as an alt, won't have his own spot on the roster, but it's something. I do feel that Mewtwo will truly come back as a playable character though. His reveal would more than likely take place in a Villain/Anti-Hero trailer alongside the likes of Ganondorf, Wario, Wolf, Meta Knight and some other newcomer options like K Rool & Ridley (not saying they'll dish out that many characters at once, but there are definitely options).

As for Lucina, yeah, I'm disappointed that she doesn't have her own thing going for him, they really could have cooked something up, but I'm sure they were focused on Lucina's "relationship" with Marth...*sigh* Oh well.

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
tell me about it! would it have hurt so much to leave her as Marth's Alt?
would have tied in so well with the whole genderbender we've been having lately wtih WFT, Robin and Villager.

I think Mewtwo needs to be back. And while you're at it, add in Dark Pit to that trailer as a revealed alt for Pit haha!

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Yes. Dark Pit needs to be apart of the game in some shape or form. I'm confident that he will though. Especially after being teased in the trailer and Sakurai being involved with KI: U.

For all we know, the Villain's Trailer could pick up from where Palutena's trailer left off depending how it's done.

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
That's true.
The way Sakurai displays favoritism for his own games is ridiculous.
Dark Pit may be the new Metaknight.
I wonder if they will add Medusa or Hades in any way...

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I'm sure one will end up being an AT...possibly both, but I wouldn't be surprised if one of them ends up playable. In that event, give me Hades.

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
hahaha I want more females but Hades is just too funny to pass up

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Well, the increase in females so far has definitely been nice. And yeah, Hades is too great.

This pic is really large, shouldn't use images this big, but I couldn't help it xD

Last edited:
Top Bottom