• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Checkmate Monthlies Son!!! CANCELLED*

C.R.Z

Smash Lord
Guys! ive got some bad bad news!

the venue people have told us that they have had to cancel our confirmation for the 19th feb as there is some kind of emergency...

i am really sorry but this is completely out of our hands. Send me an email if you have booked your tickets to london already and we will try and sort it out for you.

again im sorry everyone :(

Checkmate Monthlies will be held at the barking venue untill a new venue is found. same rules apply in the checkmate monthlies as the london monthlies with a few exceptions.

will be BRAWL AND MELEE

more details to come

PLEASE READ THE INFO BELOW

Index: Cant find what you want to find? use Ctrl+F and the code to find stuff
Location, Directions, Times + Fees: [LRB1]
Tournament Rules: [LRB2]
Group Stages Format: [LRB3]
Double Elimination Brackets Format: [LRB4]
General Smash Rules: [LRB5]
Brawl Specific notes: [LRB6]
Melee Specific notes: [LRB7]
Venue FAQ[LRB8]

Location, Travel Info, Times + Fees [LRB1]
Postcode: IG5 0SX
Use www.multimap.com and type in IG5 0SX to get a pretty specific map of where it is
Directions
Central Line (eastbound) get to Gants Hill (Hainault via newbury park train)

Then you get out of one side of the station and you should see a "Cash Converters" shop somewhere Which has a 128 bus stop outside
you take the 128, it goes into barkingside high street (you'll see a macdonalds on your left = barkingside) and takes a left turn, get off at the stop where there is a small shop called "CostCutters" its like 3/4 stops past barkingside (after the left turn)

- I advice ask the bus driver for Kelvedon Lodge, or a bus stop past Barkingside beside Costcutters

then you walk out the bus obviously, head right..take the first left, then the first left again and you see the venue called "TipTree Communial Hall"
(its like 1 min from the stop)

You can also take the 128 bus from Barkingside on the opposite side of the road of subway on the high street (not towards gants hill)
Venue opens : 1:00pm
Signups Start: 2pm
Signups End: 2:30pm
Tournament: 2:30pm - 9:30pm
Venue closes: 10pm
Venue Fee - £3 Possibly £4 it depends on the turnout
Tournament Fee? - £5 Singles, £3 Doubles (each)

EVEN IF YOU ARE COMING JUST TO SPECTATE OR PLAY FRIENDLIES YOU MUST STILL PAY THE VENUE FEE!

Tournament Rules [LRB2]

The Tournament will be split into 2 stages. Group Stages then a Double Elimination Bracket
You are expected to bring your own controller, if your gamecube pad SOMEHOW breaks in the middle of your match and you dont have a spare, then you will forfeit the match. believe me this HAS happened so check your pad
If you aint there when its your turn, you will automatically forfeit the match. However we understand you MIGHT have a life, so we will give you 10 minutes but when you hold people up, no ones happy about it
You forfeit the match if you press the Start button, but what you should really do is turn the option off...
Group Stages [LRB3]

Group Stages (also known as Pools) will be the first stage, which are like qualifiers for the real tournament.
All the players will be divided into seperate groups.
Top 4 currently in the Leaderboard will be spread out to each group
Each player plays each other player ONCE (First to One).
The players with the top 2 highest wins in that group will progress or qualify for the Double Elimination Bracket (If there is a Tie, a Tiebreaker game will be played.
Double Elimination Brackets Format: [LRB4]

Double elimination brackets are kinda like, normal tournament brackets you see in the tournament mode in the Smash game. However this certain type of bracket has advantages over the normal one. You get 2 lives and the results are more fair due to this
Players will be put into a Double elimination bracket
The players who win the most matches in their groups will be spread away from each other
Matches will be First to 2 (or Best out of 3)
Guys, even if you lose the first match, you can still get to the finals, just that if you get straight wins you get to the finals quicker.
General Smash Rules: [LRB5]

Smash is very unique game so it has its own set of rules. Please dont whine about the rules especially if its about the SmashBall.
'First Character Picking' will be done in a method called BLIND PICKING. You basically write your character on a piece of paper (or phone or something) and hide it till your opponent is done then REVEAL. Then pick the character that you wrote. This rule is in place to stop people from waiting for the opponent to pick just to counter.
First Stage is ALWAYS random. Then Advanced Slob Picking. The person who loses may choose to pick another stage (probably a counter or buffstage). If he chooses to do so, then the winner picks a character then the loser picks his character. This also means that Blind picking is for the first match only
Items are off, this includes Brawl, we dont tail EVO.
FOX ONL- OK No characters are banned whatsoever, this includes Meta Knight, but if you choose to pick Meta Knight...
Stage Banning Rule: You may choose to ban one stage at the very beginning of the match, if one of you do so, your opponent may also ban a stage. If none of you are bothered then dont do it. Also if you ban a Neutral Stage, DO NOT EDIT THE RANDOM STAGES. Instead if it comes up just Start+L+R+A
Daves Stupid Rule: This rule will be in effect, you basically cant CHOOSE a stage you have already won on, if you get to choose. This prevents a match that looks like, FD,Yoshi,Mute City,Yoshi,Mute City
I might of forgotten something else, but check the Brawl and Melee Specific notes for any additional info.
# Standing Infinites are BANNED which include (but not limited to) Dedede's small-step chain grab. Dedede standard chain grab is fine.
# Ice Climber things are legal, as long as they aren't used for stalling.
Brawl Specific notes: [LRB6]

Quote:
Stage Rulings

Random/Neutral Stages

Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise

Counterpick Stages:

Castle Siege
Halberd
Pokémon Stadium 1
Brinstar
Delfino
Frigate Orpheon
Rainbow cruise

All Random and Neutrals can also be picked, but Counterpick Final Destination is godtier. All stages not listed are BANNED
Melee Specific notes: [LRB7]

Quote:
Stage Rulings:

Random/Neutral Stages

Pokemon Stadium
Final Destination
Dreamland 64
Yoshi Story
Battlefield

Counterpick Stages:

Fountain of Dreams

All Random stages can be used as counterpick as well
Everything else is BANNED

Venue FAQ [LRB8]
The venue itself is huge, it can hold more than 60 people easily and possibly up to 100..it has heating, electricity, a kitchen, toilets, chairs, tables and a t.v provided.

RULES:
- Please watch the door incase strangers come in and cause trouble
- Be nice to everyone
- NO MESS, especially chewing gum
- NO SMOKING
- NO DRINKING
- Be formal and on time, no holding up matches
- Please can everyone work together as security to make sure no strangers or trouble makers walk in (the venue has been known to have dodgy people around)
- Only bring what is necessary (Pad, Console, Money for food etc) don't bring anything that can attract to affect you if stolen

C.R.Z

Smash Lord
Any suggestions and thoughts are welcomed

confirmed list(so Far)

Brawl Singles
Anaky
BMac
Calzorz
Cong
C.R.Z
G.P
Jihad
Jmiller
Kasper
Siri
Untouched

Melee Singles
?

Micklem

Smash Apprentice
Sooo is this actually gonna be monthly?
(Liking the fact that there's finally a date)

C.R.Z

Smash Lord
because that was the proposed dateof mine. if i don't host then it won't be until after summer exams. but oh well
O:
i had no idea man, sorry.let me no asap if you want the date, ill move it to a later date.

and yes this will be a monthly

Micklem

Smash Apprentice
u considering going to this micklem?

wtf u cant possibly come

U IN SCOTLAND SON!!!
Haha
Inorite? Dedication. Brawl > distance. :)
Never been to a tournament before so I hope I can be there, even if I fail at every match.

Also I might be back in England anyway, which will make things easier.

Aeons

Smash Rookie
As if a piffling little thing like being a few hundred miles away could keep Mick from playing Brawl. Hell, when he had a reading week, he spent a decent portion of it playing Smash.

Anyway, it's great that there's actually going to be a monthly tourney I can go to. Should be a good place to see exactly how well I'm doing/how much I'm bailing at this (sometimes infuriating) game. Thanks for hosting C.R.Z.

Hope to see you all there folks, will be my first tourney too.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Just in case i'm missing something.....is there much difference between these and the London Monthlies since they are practically being held at the same venue....

But obviously I know you are looking to re-locate, but is it basically the location in the Long Run and a more brawl focused host (meaning you play brawl and will be able to sort it out easier, not that you don't care about melee) that will be the difference between the London Monthlies and this???

Heartstring

Smash Legend
O:
i had no idea man, sorry.let me no asap if you want the date, ill move it to a later date.

and yes this will be a monthly
no, its all good. but i want housing in return XP
when i get a confirmation that i can use the church hall, i shall look into dates. but more importantly, if we're gonig to have various hosts we're going to need a thread documenting all england tournaments with when and where they are happening, plus a link to their main page, and say that only potential/confirmed hosts can post in it. i'll do this after i've torn through my mass amonut of subscribed threads
(it's okay, ill keep it updated, i plan on sticking around the community a LOT longer)

The_Rake

Smash Lord
would this be a 1 day or 2 day event? if its 2 days housing would be needed :p
if its 1 day would be fine without housing...unless you anted to get some yugioh in the night before GOT MY FULL DECK SORTED TODAY SON!!!!

B.Mack

Smash Ace
of course its gonna be a one day event MTR, stfu.

but if it's 2-day I can accomodate 2 or 3 sexy kids.

theres already the UK thread which was made by Alex and it has a list of all the tourneys that go on as well as a link to their respective threads. Stop being a silly ***** GP.

Dopl-G

Smash Apprentice
Has the date been changed at all? Or is it definatly the 26th of Febuary.

Plus will there be an MVC3 setup in the back at all?

B.Mack

Smash Ace
G-P... noone is gonna play Tekken bcos that game sucks.

never gonna stop saying it.

C.R.Z

Smash Lord
has been changed to the 19th feb because 26th was already booked. sorry for inconvenience.

retroking, ill reply to you and bullit bill in the discussion thread.

Calzorz

Smash Lord
has been changed to the 19th feb because 26th was already booked. sorry for inconvenience.

retroking, ill reply to you and bullit bill in the discussion thread.
faillll il have to tell my sis u changed dates

Heartstring

Smash Legend
faillll il have to tell my sis u changed dates
she's not srsly going is she?
lol calz, as if your not good enough as it is on your own, but youve got someone who can flash nippple and break the other guys concentration too? broken XD

The_Rake

Smash Lord
Oh cloud, little advice for this......GET YOUR DECK OUT! (lol its like get your **** out but not :p)

just rebuilt mine, xyz's have gone bye bye after using them for years. A new era of mtr deck is upon us :p

Calzorz

Smash Lord
Oh cloud, little advice for this......GET YOUR DECK OUT! (lol its like get your **** out but not :p)

just rebuilt mine, xyz's have gone bye bye after using them for years. A new era of mtr deck is upon us :p
shining flare wingman ***** it that 1 game OHHHH 6000k lp's in 1 hit

THATS GAME

The_Rake

Smash Lord
shining flare wingman ***** it that 1 game OHHHH 6000k lp's in 1 hit

THATS GAME
lol it had 4600 attack and killed a monster with 3200 so it did 4600 attack xD

if your talking about bug hits what about that game where i killed you with my chimeratech overdragon with 22000 attack points? And what about most games i won today with cyber twin with double its attack?
Then theres my personal favourite. You attacked me with a full field after decoying me with defusion (which i admit was pretty epic) and even yelled "THATS GAME", i use honest to kill burstinatrix and you dont attack cos my attacks at 3700 and your best is 3600 with skyscraper. My next turn i play the light and fuse it with cyber zwei for cyber twin, throw down limiter removal and wipe you out ;) THATS GAME SON! GODLY ROLL

Top Bottom