• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Charizard Technology Mine

Heroofhatz

Smash Journeyman
This thread is dedicated to whatever tech skill and weird glitches we can find with Zard. If you find something interesting (doesn't even have to be useful), feel free to drop it here!

*Zen

Smash Rookie
Something I found out by edgeguard a captain falcon who recovered from the up : I dash attack to the ledge, the held my stick toward the ledge, and quickly did a Bair. Both hits connected, and my charizard directly touched the ground after the Bair instead of falling. It looked pretty cool.

LavaLatte

Smash Cadet
Something I found out by edgeguard a captain falcon who recovered from the up : I dash attack to the ledge, the held my stick toward the ledge, and quickly did a Bair. Both hits connected, and my charizard directly touched the ground after the Bair instead of falling. It looked pretty cool.
Ooh, I gotta try this one.

This isn't a glitch at all, but oh well. If you're hanging from a ledge, you can drop backwards and double-jump Fair back onto the stage, and still be able to triple jump without touching the ground as long as you don't fastfall. This is handy for bad players like me who SHFFL fair from ledge and immediately get shield-grabbed.

Also if you fall-back ledgehop into Side-B, by holding the control stick backwards right after, you can regrab the ledge right as the Side-B animation finishes. Not very practical, but always fun to watch.

Heroofhatz

Smash Journeyman
It is possible to ledgehop flamethrower and edge cancel the flamethrower back to the ledge. I've only done it a handful of times, and honestly ledgehop side B is probably a lot better if you're wanting to go back to the ledge, but hey the more you know.

Mera Mera

Smash Journeyman
There are a few glide tricks aside from b reversing the glide cancel that I think are pretty useful.

1: Glide stall on the ledge. You just down b, b, down b, b over and over with the right timing. I hit down hard each time for this... not sure that matters.

2: During glide stall, if they give you space (fearing getting hit by glair) you can do down b (pressing down lightly, and immediately hit b again (with a way shorter time gap than for glide stall). You will land on the stage perfectly with no landing animation (so no 4 frames normal landing lag... kinda like when you land on a platform when at the peak of your jump).
Note: Edited this after practicing it some more. You do not need to hit up, nor does it seem to help. However, I really couldn't get this to work unless I pressed down lightly for the down b part, so I think that does indeed matter.

3: On the ledge hit down and then jump immediately. Just before the peak of your jump glide and go into a glide attack. The timing might be slightly different per stage, but you will likely land cancel (it's sometimes easier to time if you angle your glide down for a short bit first). Depending on the stage and execution you will also edge cancel the glair landing lag. A different version of the same thing is hit away from the stage and jump immediately. It's the same timing pretty much, but you are further from your opponent when you glair. The downside is you will probably not edgecancel the glair.

4: When trying to get off a platform (say the right battlefield platform and the opponent is center stage), you can run off the right side of the platform, mash down and slightly left, then b (for a glide left) then (still holding down) A for a glide which should edge cancel you off the left side of the platform. It's useful as a mix up, plus they often follow you as you go off to the right and then you're on the other side of them, possibly fast fall bairing them.

5. Less useful and probs the hardest. Glide canceling on platforms when you are below them (techinically you do this in techniques 3 and 4). You jump, glide just under the platform and glair. Timing varies per stage. The angle that is easiest to make work is slightly higher than a straight out glair (so lower the glide slightly, since you start pointed up). It seems like there are 3 points in the glair animation where Zard can land during his forward momentum, so if his feet are close enough to the platform during any of these three points in the animation, he will land and slide. You can also land after the last hit of glide, but you will slide far less. Given this, there are actually tons of height and angle combinations that will let you glide cancel from under a platform. I've been trying to master this but it's super hard to be consistent, especially with the varying platform heights. It's really just a glorified waveland. The coolest thing you can do with it is sometimes the glair hits will combo into an aerial if you land during glair near the end of a platform, which looks sick.

6: If you ever get good at glide cancels, you can fake them out by gliding, then tilting up and glide canceling which can make you land on a platform you were under. Not sure it's worth it though since it doesn't put you in the best position. Also I might be crazy, but I think you get more height when you b reverse the glide cancel as well... not sure. This is also mildly useful for recovering. If you are recovering with glide and are now over stage but in threat of being juggled, then if you are under a high platform you can surprise an opponent by landing on said platform. I dunno. I can do this, but I almost never use it. Its uses are theorycraft at this point. Edit: This also tends to give you the 0 landing lag, which is nice.

I can maybe get vids up of these ^ but it'll be with a camera... I don't have a capture card atm.

I can do 1, 2, 4, and 6 almost 100% of the time, though the pressure of a match / having to focus on a player as well lowers the success rate for 2 and 4 still for me. 3 is new to me, but not too bad. 5 is unbelievably hard to master... I've been practicing it for an hour or two a day for the last week and a half. I've improved at it, but I can't do it reliably at all.
Edit 5* is unbelievably hard to master... not 6 lol.

Last edited:

JOE!

Smash Hero
So, landing detection with Nair is all kinds of weird, I've been playign around with edge stuff and realized I can slide off an edge at the beginning of Nair, do the loop, and my face touching the floor of the stage will scoot me back to the stage and do like a diagonal movement to land at the edge safely while still going out with the backswing a good distance

Heroofhatz

Smash Journeyman
So, landing detection with Nair is all kinds of weird, I've been playign around with edge stuff and realized I can slide off an edge at the beginning of Nair, do the loop, and my face touching the floor of the stage will scoot me back to the stage and do like a diagonal movement to land at the edge safely while still going out with the backswing a good distance
If you could put of a vid of this that might be better since I'm kind of confused now what's happening :p

Mera Mera

Smash Journeyman
So I think I found a super good use for #5 (glair canceling from under platforms), and it allows you to do it in a bit easier of a way. A lot of what makes it hard is it's fast button inputs with high precision plus having to think about the angle. So on the way down from a short hop, it's actually a lot easier to do. Before I was thinking that it'd make more sense to do it as fast as possible from the moment you leave the ground, but you could also use it as a fake out, by making them think you're trying to do a spaced bair/fair, but instead you're trying to get to center stage by glair platform canceling (and maybe hit them on the other side).

So if you're nearing the ledge you can do a fade back short hop, and a little after the peak of your jump time a glair at the right height and get around them.

-Key-

Smash Cadet
I've been messing around with Glide stalling into "instant" Glair, and one thing I've noticed is that the trajectory of Glair seems to vary significantly despite my attempts to have it do the same trajectory every time. Sometimes it will stay very low and finish with the Glair Waveland but other times it will go high and end in the air which really makes it brutally slow in terms of ending lag. I feel like if I could get it to do the Waveland version every time it'd be really useful, but I'm stumped as to what I'm doing wrong. I think it may have to do with how high Charizard is in relation to the ledge when the Glair begins but I'm not entirely sure. Do any of you guys have advice on how I can improve this? Thanks.

Heroofhatz

Smash Journeyman
I've been messing around with Glide stalling into "instant" Glair, and one thing I've noticed is that the trajectory of Glair seems to vary significantly despite my attempts to have it do the same trajectory every time. Sometimes it will stay very low and finish with the Glair Waveland but other times it will go high and end in the air which really makes it brutally slow in terms of ending lag. I feel like if I could get it to do the Waveland version every time it'd be really useful, but I'm stumped as to what I'm doing wrong. I think it may have to do with how high Charizard is in relation to the ledge when the Glair begins but I'm not entirely sure. Do any of you guys have advice on how I can improve this? Thanks.
It does depend on how much momentum you've built, as well as your angle when you press Glair.
To get an idea of what I'm talking about, go to Draculas Catstle. Get knocked way off stage and glide back, except just glide straight into the side of the stage and go up and down. When you've done this for a sec, Hold up and press Glair. You're Glair should send you really really vertical, which is actually a really good mixup if your opponent isn't expecting it since it's so fast.

For the most part though it depends on your angle, it just takes some practice to lean how to waveland it.

Top Bottom