• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokkén Tournament Charizard Notes | Meta Discussion

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer

It is said that Charizard’s fire burns hotter if it has experienced harsh battles.
Thread's Purpose it to write down any notes you may have and/or discuss Charizard's Meta. Let's get some discussion going.

Important Resources:
Pokkén Tournament Phase Shift Datasheet (Psyam)

Corner Combo's
Combo | Damage | Phase Shifts | Notes
2X > 6Y > YY > 8A | ~243 | No | Gives 11P of Phase Shift
8X > 6Y > Y > 8A | 220 | No | Gives 8P of Phase Shift
8X > 6Y > YY | 220 | Yes | Gives 12P of Phase Shift
Notes
Scenario: If opponent is on wake up and you are at a close range, initiating Glide or Flight Mode can be useful. These modes allow you to avoid certain opponent options (depending on character) and you can reply with any move open in your arsenal. From Flight, you can utilize 5X to initiate combos, 6A to reply to a jump etc.

Flamethrower distance is about two dash ins? away. Good to space opponent.

Random match-up stuff, don't go in the air vs. Weavile when it has Synergy burst.

Discussion
How does Charizard deal with pressure? What are his best options?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
If they're the speedy rushdown type, Inferno (back+A) is good for making space. Otherwise, and aside from simple counter/grab reads on wakeup (though Charizard's normal counter works better as an anti-air since it releases a bit slow), simply taking to the skies is good for a breather; few characters can reliably hit you all the way up there from the ground (and if they jump you can react and take them down), and the ones that do tend not to do the whole close-range pressure thing anyway. From there, if they insist on following you as you glide away while holding their guard, charge up a Stomp (air+x) which will pierce counters and is difficult to punish on block. If they try to anti air instead, pull out a Flare Blitz.

Fire Punch cancel is nice feint and a quick way to enter Flight Stance

Ignatious

Smash Cadet
How useful is flight stance? We lose SOOOO many options and only gain a few so i can't see it being useful in the neutral/disad.

If it is a good neutral tool i found possibly the easiest abs fastest way to do it

"4a > 4r"

Instant flight stance, but it seems really, really bad.

Deaga

Smash Cadet
It doesn't really look all that hot in neutral, but you can extend combos from it. You can go with a Critical Fire Punch into Flight Stance > Air Slash into Flight Stance > Upwards Flare Blitz. Alternatively, you can "land" after air Slash (ie don't hold Y, just press it) and go into a Seismic Toss. You can also start these combos with a grounded Forward+X (hold), which launches them up and puts you into Flight Stance, so you can air slash, etc.

In Neutral, you're immune to normal grabs while in Flight Stance, but given that you can't Counter or Shield, I really have no idea why anyone would even attempt to grab you in the first place. >_> I guess Inferno Cancel > Flight Stance > attack could be useful to do retreating attacks against rushdown characters, although a normal Inferno is usually just fine too.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
In Neutral, you're immune to normal grabs while in Flight Stance, but given that you can't Counter or Shield, I really have no idea why anyone would even attempt to grab you in the first place. >_> I guess Inferno Cancel > Flight Stance > attack could be useful to do retreating attacks against rushdown characters, although a normal Inferno is usually just fine too.
Especially since Zard's high stance disrupts grabs anyway.

My use of flight stance in neutral mainly comes from cancelling Fire Punch and going for Dragon Claw to mess with their timing.

Last edited:

DrLobster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrLobster
3DS FC
4699-5880-7408
Discussion​
How does Charizard deal with pressure? What are his best options?
While I have no definites on whether or not it's his best option when faced with corner pressure (I'm honestly inclined to believe that it isn't, the best way for Charizard to deal with zoning and ranged pressure is for him to use a well-timed Dash Cancel. Speaking from tournament experience, this makes matchups that Charizard has a hard time getting in on (the two that I have the most experience with being Suicune and Gardevoir) soooo much more easier. Here's a video of what I'm talking about/how to do it.

Top Bottom