• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Charizard dumbed down

Should charizards neutral a be reverted to brawls 3 hit combo or be kept the same

• Total voters

Durnehviir

Smash Apprentice
One thing I noticed from playing project m is that charizard has no good combo his down b is basically a useless version of his up b other than it makes you glide now but his his neutral a is the most horrendous thing done to him it needs to be changed back to his brawl 3 hit combo it only seems logical considering his neutral a currently is slow and has such short reach any thoughts anyone?

Durnehviir

Smash Apprentice
Hmmm if you could make a video showing how to properly use him it would be very helpful

Envioux

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Envioux
are you serious right now? as a charizard main, i find his jab to be one of his best changes. also charizard has some great combos, dude. i don't know what you're smoking. his jab is an amazing combo starter and it isn't slow at all. his down B is decent recovery but you can use it for movement between platforms to net some unexpected hits or mixups with.

metroid1117

Smash Master
You're not playing Charizard right if you can't combo with him, don't see the value of his Down B and see the value of his launcher jab as a combo starter.
are you serious right now? as a charizard main, i find his jab to be one of his best changes. also charizard has some great combos, dude. i don't know what you're smoking. his jab is an amazing combo starter and it isn't slow at all. his down B is decent recovery but you can use it for movement between platforms to net some unexpected hits or mixups with.
There's no need to be hostile towards a newcomer, guys =/.

One thing I noticed from playing project m is that charizard has no good combo his down b is basically a useless version of his up b other than it makes you glide now but his his neutral a is the most horrendous thing done to him it needs to be changed back to his brawl 3 hit combo it only seems logical considering his neutral a currently is slow and has such short reach any thoughts anyone?
This is a out-dated now (DSmash is not nearly as imbalanced as it was before), but this video shows some stuff you can do with jab and down+B. In general, jab works very well as an anti-air and puts your opponent in the air, where you can follow up with either aerials or shark under them with USmashes and grounded down+Bs. Glide attack (aka glair) out of aerial down+B used to be more powerful in 2.1 (the damage has been reduced since then), but it's still a good recovery tool because Charizard's nose juts out in front of him and it has a fair amount of priority, so it's nice for just getting back onto the stage in the first place.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Lol, yeah, I should have been less snarky. I suppose I was super put off by the assertion that Charizard's combo game is weak because it feels like the most natural thing in P:M to me. (This is true for a couple of characters.)

Durnehviir

Smash Apprentice

This is a out-dated now (DSmash is not nearly as imbalanced as it was before), but this video shows some stuff you can do with jab and down+B. In general, jab works very well as an anti-air and puts your opponent in the air, where you can follow up with either aerials or shark under them with USmashes and grounded down+Bs. Glide attack (aka glair) out of aerial down+B used to be more powerful in 2.1 (the damage has been reduced since then), but it's still a good recovery tool because Charizard's nose juts out in front of him and it has a fair amount of priority, so it's nice for just getting back onto the stage in the first place.
thanks alot i have been using him wrong i guess its cause im used to using faster characters

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Charizard's speed is deceptive. He has some relatively quick moves for a character of his power. What you have to realize is that you want people above you and you want to keep knocking them higher to eventually send them over the upper blast line. Jab, USmash, UAir, UTilt and Down-B all work towards this goal, as do sourspotted fair/bair, Up-B and sweetspotted Nair situationally. The harder part is getting a handle on Charizard's more nuanced ground game. (Lots of well-spaced Nair.)

metroid1117

Smash Master
thanks alot i have been using him wrong i guess its cause im used to using faster characters
Charizard is very awkward in terms of mobility - he's deceptively fast on the ground, but his aerial mobility is very limited. It takes getting used to, especially if you're used to characters that have high double-jumps.

Envioux

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Envioux
wasnt aware i was being hostile, i'm also new on the boards here. but apologies nonetheless given that it seems ive come across that way.

anyway @ OP, i hope doing a little research and learning a bit more about how Charizard works will help you improve with him. if you ever wanna practice or something send me a message.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
I'd still prefer a different jab :/
Well clearly you're wrong and probably really bad with Charizard.

Yep, I feel comfortable in asserting that you probably possess no skill with Charizard, P:M or games at all in general, all based off this one statement.

Just kidding, I know who you are, Yomi. I watched your sets with Relinquished and loved 'em, even though I was rooting for Ike :p

Shin_Mazinkaiser

Smash Journeyman
My only issue with Zard's Jab is that it's one of his best launchers (and as such a great combo starter)

But it's so easy to CC, and that makes me sad.

Hao the Champion

Smash Rookie
What even? It's mean to launch the opponent off the ground so you can do your strings. If you want jab resets then play other characters

NightShadow6

Smash Journeyman
Oh god I don't know what charizard would resort to without the jab in neutral game. (Aside from RAR nair, but that gets boring)

Gonna test to see if you can jab reset with the weakest of sideb for some jank.

Top Bottom