• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Charging up the Giant Punch

Gkryptonite

Smash Journeyman
Recently I've been doing deep DK training and got into the habit of charging the giant punch right when I get into the battle after I die, I'll be finished charging right after invincibility goes away. Is this a good idea?

Buttcrust

Smash Ace
Usually. It depends if you can get an easy kill right away, are low on time and behind, etc.

Sometimes people try to time it to hit you just as you lose invincibility but are still charging. Sometimes they do it, sometimes they go a bit early and end up getting punched.

DeathscytheHello

Smash Journeyman
Sometimes people try to time it to hit you just as you lose invincibility but are still charging. Sometimes they do it, sometimes they go a bit early and end up getting punched.
Yeah, you want to watch out, you can't fully charge while being invincible. I think it goes off while you're at charge 8 or something. Anyway, if they are approaching, you just got to remember that you do have a punch being charged and it's still strong even if it isn't fully (or 9.5) charged.

Wilhelmsan

Smash Lord
Just don't do it all at once. It takes forever. You can shield or roll to store it should you decide to charge your punch in the midst of battle.

Charge -> Shieldgrab

I love this one.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Recently I've been doing deep DK training and got into the habit of charging the giant punch right when I get into the battle after I die, I'll be finished charging right after invincibility goes away. Is this a good idea?
No that's not really what you should do. It all depends on the character your fighting ofcoarse but... As soon as your KO'd and still invincable, you should try and get a grab. The best moment to charge the Gaint Punch is after you killed your opponent... Sad but true, you just will not get another oppertunity...

Another option is to SH Charge it. What you do is basically charging the punch in the air, and quickly when you land press Z to cancel the charge. A tricky thing to do is to not fully charge your punch, but not till the maximum. Then you can approuch your opponent with a Short Hopped Charge into a full Gaint Punch... You should try that out. ;)

Buttcrust

Smash Ace
No that's not really what you should do. It all depends on the character your fighting ofcoarse but... As soon as your KO'd and still invincable, you should try and get a grab. The best moment to charge the Gaint Punch is after you killed your opponent... Sad but true, you just will not get another oppertunity...

Another option is to SH Charge it. What you do is basically charging the punch in the air, and quickly when you land press Z to cancel the charge. A tricky thing to do is to not fully charge your punch, but not till the maximum. Then you can approuch your opponent with a Short Hopped Charge into a full Gaint Punch... You should try that out. ;)
I have never had any problems charging my punch at any time really. Just run around charging a bit here and there. They'll chase you to try and cancel it, then just b-air or SG. But it's rare for me to not have a punch. I don't use it unless I'm going for the kill and I always charge some when I knock them far away.

But this gives me an awesome idea. If we run around doing this SH/1 swing charge all over the place, even jumping at them and throwing a weak one at times, they'll eventually shield when you jump at them while charging. That's when you cancel it into a grab. I'm going to have to try this now. Sounds like it will depend on quite a bit though...

Top Bottom