• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters with angled forward smashes

LongLiveTle

Smash Rookie
Something interesting that im sure many people have noticed in smash 4 is that a few characters can angle their forward smashes (its more of a diagonal smash and it can go up and down) but only some characters can do this. Its not a hugely important mechanic but it could come and handy and I could not find anyone else whos done this so I've decided to go through and compile a list of who can do this.

Characters with angled F-smashes:
Mario
Luigi
Yoshi (the animations kinda slight so this one took a few tries for me to notice)
Rosalina and Luma
Bowser Jr.
Ganondorf
Samus
Kirby (another hard one to see, I dont this actually makes much of a difference)
Little Mac (angle up for an uppercut, very interesting change there)
ROB
Captain Falcon
Dr. Mario
Shulk
Sonic
Mii Brawler

Im kinda surprised how few characters can do this it definitely seems like a few others (like Wario or Zelda) could be able to do it.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
This is definitely important, as it alters the trajectory where the opponent would be sent. For example, angled up would send them more at an upward/diagonal angle rather than their normal angle. Still trying to find more viabilities,

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Pretty sure this has been a thing for a while now. Don't think it's exclusive to Smash 4. Little Macs is kinda interesting though, I wonder if his angles have significantly different hitboxes since the moves look so different.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Pretty sure this has been a thing for a while now. Don't think it's exclusive to Smash 4. Little Macs is kinda interesting though, I wonder if his angles have significantly different hitboxes since the moves look so different.
It was an old POTD if I remember right. Sakurai said angling his fsmash up or down would result in completely distinct attacks from his straight one.

Cherubas

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0774-4746-9812
I use this a lot when I play Bowser Jr actually. Low forward smashes are good for guarding the edge's sweetspot. High are good for intercepting some incoming aerial attacks. It's a small tweak that I didn't think would make a big deal at first but I've come to use this ability quite a bit.

LongLiveTle

Smash Rookie
yea thats a good point, also if your opponent is coming at you at a certain angle, such as jumping/falling towards you or returning to the stage. and yea i just checked and you can do this in bot Brawl and PM, I'm not sure why I never noticed this before

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
It was an old POTD if I remember right. Sakurai said angling his fsmash up or down would result in completely distinct attacks from his straight one.
To elaborate, a regular Fsmash is a straight or cross which well, sends the opponent forward, straight away from Little Mac. Angled up, it becomes an uppercut. Functionally, it's like a weaker K.O. Uppercut; it'll send opponents up. Angled down, it becomes a body shot/hook. From what I remember, it sends opponents in a downward angle, not straight in a direction like the other versions.

Last edited:

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Mac's fsmash is basically three distinct moves in one slot. Totally different properties on each variation.

To elaborate, a regular Fsmash is a straight or cross which well, sends the opponent forward, straight away from Little Mac. Angled up, it becomes an uppercut. Functionally, it's like a weaker K.O. Uppercut; it'll send opponents up. Angled down, it becomes a body shot/hook. From what I remember, it sends opponents in a downward angle, not straight in a direction like the other versions.
The down angle fsmash does more damage, but the knockback growth on it is really weak. It kills at like 350-400%. Normal fsmash launches at a ~45 degree angle, down angled launches near horizontally, up angled launches at about an 80 degree angle.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Mac's fsmash is basically three distinct moves in one slot. Totally different properties on each variation.

The down angle fsmash does more damage, but the knockback growth on it is really weak. It kills at like 350-400%. Normal fsmash launches at a ~45 degree angle, down angled launches near horizontally, up angled launches at about an 80 degree angle.
Hmm, I should have applied real-world ideas on a video game... Body shots hurt like hell for those uninformed. So do knees, sidekicks to the chest, elbows to the head, pressure points, and... a bunch of other stuff that I don't remember.

WhatIsRaizen?

Smash Ace
Okay, what about the characters who can angle their FTILTS?

I know that Captain Falcon and Yoshi could.

Top Bottom