• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters to recommend for a new player.

monzer

Smash Journeyman
Im trying to get into Project M but it's been hard finding out whitch characters are the best for players who have yet to learn much tech other than wave dashing, but are still very good in higher level play. I've heard Mario is a relatively easy character to start with who is also good in high level play as well.

Also, from what I've seen from tier lists and how they differ greatly, is every character viable in this game? If so, why is melee more popular than this game?

Last edited:

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Im trying to get into Project M but it's been hard finding out whitch characters are the best for players who have yet to learn much tech other than wave dashing, but are still very good in higher level play. I've heard Mario is a relatively easy character to start with who is also good in high level play as well.

Also, from what I've seen from tier list and how they differ greatly, is every character viable in this game? If so, why is melee more popular than this game?
Mario is pretty good, yeah. Wavedashing shouldn't be a priority as a new player. L cancelling and SHFFLs should be your main focus.

That said, good starter characters in my opinion are Sheik, Marth, Roy, and Ganon. All of those (except Ganon) are high tier, and they all reward good fundamentals in their play, while being fairly straightforward for newer players.

In the end, most characters are fine, which some characters behaving a little more oddly, like Sonic and Olimar, or DJC characters. The best thing to do is just find someone you enjoy playing and go from there. It may benefit you to play a somewhat less technical character, but even then, you can learn from any character.

Tomaster

Smash Journeyman
id go with any character you like really... If you're really new to project m/Melee physics I'd play with Marth or mario for a while until you learn the basics.. Then just pick a character you like, don't worry about tier lists or anything like that, tiers only matters in this game when you get to top level play, and that takes years. Best advice I can give you is stick with a character, because you can learn the game much easier if you know your character inside out. I switched my mains around a lot and now I regret doing that. That's not to say you should only play one character, but u should put most of your training time into it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom