• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters placed onto Lylat platforms by Flame Choke

Johnluc55

Smash Rookie
In case you were unaware, some characters can be placed onto the side platforms of Lylat Cruise by a grounded flame choke that terminates beneath the platform. This is great for us since the position of the platforms opens up other options for follow-ups (aerials and up-smash). Also, the width of the platforms makes it possible to cover several options with one move.

I haven't seen this information compiled anywhere else, so I thought I'd try to determine which characters this works on and share here.

Here are my results:
http://imgur.com/N3ETw1x

This only works on the side platforms and only when Ganondorf is facing out (away from the center of the stage) and standing on the higher part of the slant beneath the platform (at the end of the flame choke). If your opponent is under the right platform, then Ganondorf must be standing left of them, so that the opponent is between Ganondorf and the edge of the stage.

In addition to the permanent slants at the edges of the stage, Lylat is also constantly tilting. This tilting affects whether or not a character is placed upon the platform. In the chart, I have delineated three general positions: tilt down, flat, tilt up. The up/down is based on the side of the stage that you are working on. If you are trying to put the opponent on the left platform, then tilt down means that the left side of the stage is lower than the right.

The best chance you have to put the opponent on the platform is when the stage is tilting down.

In addition, if Ganondorf is standing on the engine that connects the flat part of the stage to the slanted part, he gets a little boost in height which makes it possible to place additional characters onto platforms (this is what "Dorf on Engine" refers to in the chart.

I tested every character, but I may have made mistakes since Lylat is so finicky. If anyone else finds other characters this works on let me know.

This is obviously a situational tech, but it puts us in a really good position, and against Olimar, Wario, and Villager it is very reliable.

Top Bottom