• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Ratings: Stage 1

Shears

Smash Master
I would like to build a way to measure characters that is more descriptive than a simple tier list. From this a tier list can be born but it will offer newcomers, experts, and anyone in between a resource to see a complete breakdown of characters, matchups, and the rankings and ratings used.

This will be a process that will have several steps and will consist of different development stages to build a comprehensive analysis of each character. These stages will be outlined and compiled here in the OP.

Stage 1: Defining the measures
-Tournament results
-Tournament prevalence
-Character complexity
-Difficult to operation
-Matchup score

Stage 2: Gathering the data
-TBD

Stage 3: Interpreting data and its significance
-TBD

Stage 4: Composite data
-TBD

We are currently on the first stage. This discussion will currently be for discussing possible measures to be used. This is not for determining which measures will actually matter or by how much they will matter, simply to get a list of all possible measures that a character and this game can be rated on. If you wish to suggest a measure simply state the measure and why you feel it could be valuable to rating characters. To begin, I have listed a few measures that I find could be valuable in rating a character.

Last edited:

nickthename

Smash Apprentice
I guess the most important thing to consider is what the point of the data gathering is. A simple tier list (Pika good, ness bad) is most useful to new players or people that don't play the game at all, but I think that's pretty useless to experienced players who likely have their own opinions anyway.

For spectators and new players, just a general idea of what characters are popular and tend to win at a competitive level is enough, coupled with maybe information on the absolute worst matchups in the game, and knowledge of which characters are hardest to "operation", since those pieces of information greatly improve viewing experience.

So, if we want to benefit intermediate players, I think prevalence and difficulty of use are essential, since those factors impact whether it makes sense to learn a character. More accurate MU charts are also more important for these players, since they need to know what characters they should be taking secondaries for, who they should counterpick, etc.

I honestly have no idea what benefit top players get from a tier list/MU chart etc.

Shears

Smash Master
I guess the most important thing to consider is what the point of the data gathering is. A simple tier list (Pika good, ness bad) is most useful to new players or people that don't play the game at all, but I think that's pretty useless to experienced players who likely have their own opinions anyway.

For spectators and new players, just a general idea of what characters are popular and tend to win at a competitive level is enough, coupled with maybe information on the absolute worst matchups in the game, and knowledge of which characters are hardest to "operation", since those pieces of information greatly improve viewing experience.

So, if we want to benefit intermediate players, I think prevalence and difficulty of use are essential, since those factors impact whether it makes sense to learn a character. More accurate MU charts are also more important for these players, since they need to know what characters they should be taking secondaries for, who they should counterpick, etc.

I honestly have no idea what benefit top players get from a tier list/MU chart etc.
The discussion isn't currently which measures matter or how significant one is to any given player, it is what data can we compile about characters and the game to form comparison. Read my post and stay on topic.

If you think it's useless then don't contribute instead of being toxic. You can voice your opinions when we're in stage 3.

Last edited:

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
i'm kind of tired of this. we are already voting on a tier list that is nearly finalized so let's just let that finish so we can finally put the tier list discussion behind us for a few years

$$$ Jim $$$

Smash Cadet
what's the difference between character complexity and difficulty of operation? i've seen jouske's chart, but it seems like there are number of ways people interpret it.

Shears

Smash Master
what's the difference between character complexity and difficulty of operation? i've seen jouske's chart, but it seems like there are number of ways people interpret it.
My interpretation is that complexity of character is the options and depth the character has. Basically what are the options the character has and what amount of things can be done with this character. Basically is the characters playstyle one dimensional or does the user have a lot of variety with that character.

For difficult to operation, it comes down to how hard the character is to use and perform certain maneuvers/combos/tech.

Difficult to operation doesn't necessarily make a character bad but makes the learning curve steep while character complexity doesn't mean a character is good just that there are a lot of options and intricacies to that character.

nickthename

Smash Apprentice
If you think it's useless then don't contribute instead of being toxic. You can voice your opinions when we're in stage 3.
I have no idea what part of my comment you think was toxic, but rest assured it was unintentional and I fully support this project.

Anyway, as far as matchups go there's a couple data points we could consider:
Average Matchup Difficulty
How bad their worst matchup is
How good their best matchup is

There's also non-tournament results (ladder play, money matches, etc) although I suspect the data is lacking here. (Am I allowed to say that, or do I have to wait?)

Also, tournament popularity can be broken down into overall popularity in tournament games, and popularity of play in top 8/4/2. (Depending on tournament size) It'd be interesting to see if certain characters are significantly more popular among the winners of big tournaments than in regular entrants.

Last edited:

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
i'm kind of tired of this. we are already voting on a tier list that is nearly finalized so let's just let that finish so we can finally put the tier list discussion behind us for a few years
Lolthis.

I would have supported this but quite simply, my topic has way too much input for me to give a **** right now about a new tier list, especially with all of the well interesting posts that had to be moved by Madao.

Top Bottom