• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Moves discussion for brawl

blazefox

Smash Journeyman
Ok, as being a HUGE fan of the series, I'd like to get an opinion of what do You think some character move modifications should be made? I'm also listing moves seen in video clips that contain a change or confirm the way a character fights.

I personally, would like to see Ganondorf (yes, I love it when people refer to him as "Ganon")
have a complete remade move set, ones that reflect his own moves from the LoZ series.

I would love to see ness have his old yo-yo moves back, meaning the punch from it should return, not the crap 7% damage.

Uhh, oh, also, I think mewtwo definatly needs a remake.

Y. Link should get an original set of moves, like, using his slingshot rather then fire arrows (what? he doesn't even use a bow as a kid in most games!)

Ok. Then there's the Brawl rush, or the crazy move we've all seen in the video where a character grabs a melee symbol.

Mario: As we know, uses a move redicoulsly simialar to Ken's (from street fighter) Shin Hadouken. Amazing move.

Link: Traps a character in two rotating triforces and slashes their clothes off (not literally). He also has kept his double smash and the down A moves from melee.

Kirby: Throws you in a cauldron and prepareS a delicious delicacy: Pain! He's kept his block move, it seems like his hammer returns, his up B move looks like it carries him farther, but other then that no known news on Kirby.

Pikachu: Not much has been shown, just that Pika still has the double Agility move and it covers about the same distance.

And, as we might have guessed,

Samus: Releases a HUGE charge shot (probly the phazon cannon) to deal damage. This might open way for the user to become Zamus, but that's just from what I've seen in the trailer.

Wario: Eats some bean soup and lets it "flow", I'm guessing.

Zamus: Seemingly uses the charge pistol from Zero Mission, and it can be used like a whip.

Pit: The only info I have on Pit is he can use either 2 tonfers or put them together to form a bow. The arrows look like they'll act like Samus's homing missiles.

Metaknight: Looks like a combo king! All his attack seen so far are combos.

That's all the info that I know on character move changes of and I hope the ideas take place for Brawl.
Like I said, give me some ideas!!! And let me know if you've seen footage of a change in character moves.

GotACoolName

Smash Journeyman
Change around or remove all clone characters (especially Ganondorf and Young Link).

Balance characters (seriously, you have to admit that there's no way Bowser is equal with the likes of Sheik in Melee).

MAKE NESS, KIRBY, AND PIKACHU TOP TIER AGAIN. D:<

Tera253

Smash Ace
Pikachu's infinite thunder should return, and his SSB64 ariels should too. also, his down-smash could be considered. that roundhouse kick thingie had some major knockback. As far as his Super Smash, it could be similar to Mario's, since that 'fire' looked an unholy amount like red/pink thunder.other than that, he should stay like he did in Melee--in other words no lag.
In all honesty Tera does not care if the clones return. in fact, she's hoping for that--at least with Falco and Dr. Mario. as long as the moves have different effects (the pills, the shine, the gun, you know them by now) it's fine by Tera's standards.
Pit and Meta-Knight look like they could easily challenge Jigglypuff to see who is king (or queen if you refer to Jiggs as a girl) of the air.
Tera's never been too concerned about Ness, but she used to love Kirby in the old game. now, in Melee, his super-knockback capabilities have been reduced to almost zero, rendering him practically useless unless you have sonme awesome power like Ganny or Falcon. even then, the range is so poor Tera won't even get into it.
And, for the love of everything holy and the people who think Link is straight, give him his old taunt back, or at least get rid of the one he has now!!! also, make Ness no longer sound like he has a cold, bring back Mario's taunt cancel, and... that's about it for now.
There are a lot of features in SSB that were negelected in SSBM, rendering the gameplay much, much poorer than that of SSB64. Melee is more fun because of the many characters options, and more moves you have at your disposal, but the scheme of things in 64 was monumentally better than Melee.
SSB64 Stages >>>>>>>>>>>> SSBM stages (Temple and FD as an exception)
SSB64 throws > SSBM throws ('cept you can't chain throw. but, since throws in the old one dished 12-18%, it's like you threw them 3 or 4 times.)
Pikachu 64(Tera's main) > Pikachu Melee (hello? top (1) to Low (18)?)
64Kirby>>>>>>>>>Melee Kirby ('nuff said)
Hammers, Bo-Bombs, Landmines, lightsabers > Melee versions. theese were perhaps the most destructive items in SSB64, and, in Tera's opinion:
destruction > evrything. now, the Hammer does not kill at 50-60%, it no longer does 30, and the head often times falls off. what kind ofc heap plastic hammer are we using!?!? the beamsword is just plain gay, and cannot be used to KO anything except maybe a Mr. Saturn, but even that is debatable. in the old one it was also a destructive projectile, and incredibly fun to use since it had the same range for every character and did not look like some puny half-a-stick. the Bo-bombs were cooler insomuch that when they exploded baby, THEY EXPLODED!! people would get KOd at 40% at times, depending on if it was smash-thrown or not. and the landmines had the same effect when you hit them--you woould go boom. so, all in all it comes down to THE VERDICT.
Tera's verdict: Melee is more fun only because of the characters, 1-player options, and further multiplayer options. the actual gameplay is a step DOWNWARD, more or less like a plunge.

Tera has spoken.

~Tera253~

Oskurito

Smash Lord
About mario: Well actually is Ryu's Shin Hadouken not Ken's, Ken has the Shoryu Reppa or something named like that. Yeah, It's like it.

And yes clones are fine, at least for Falco. But most people think that Ganon should get his own move set, well I don't care much about Ganon anyway

shadowmm151

Smash Apprentice
Okay...

Falco is fine and really completely different from fox. maybe change a few moves here and there but that's about it. (interestingly enough falco is actually faster than fox in the games yet slower in melee...weird huh?)

Ganondorf is awesome right now but needs a different moveset to be different than capt. falcon. keep his forward air, down air, maybe back air, and jab but change everything else. Bust out that huge sword!

Young Link...well make like the Wind Waker version who played much differently from other Links. That would give him a different moveset and different feel.

Pichu...too ligt, hurts himself, and doesn't do enough damage. Plus he can't combo well either. Honestly...he needs to go.

Roy has a lot of potential but is basically considered a worse version of Marth. the tip of Marth's sword just leaves Roy in the dust. He needs a new moveset.

Dr. Mario...although I like playing as him, needs to be a costume for mario. He just wastes a character spot on the character selection menu. If people prefer him for his increased knockback and weight then make mario like that instead.

As for ness and kirby. Yeah ness needs to be like his 64 version. His 3rd jump in melee is a joke and sends him like half the distance as in 64. His yoyo attacks now suck and his grab send you nowhere. Kirby needs the knockback and manueverability he used to have in the 64 version.

Other than that I think Mewtwo needs a whole new moveset. Game and Watch needs more weight.

blazefox

Smash Journeyman
Okay...

Falco is fine and really completely different from fox. maybe change a few moves here and there but that's about it. (interestingly enough falco is actually faster than fox in the games yet slower in melee...weird huh?)

Ganondorf is awesome right now but needs a different moveset to be different than capt. falcon. keep his forward air, down air, maybe back air, and jab but change everything else. Bust out that huge sword!

Ok, well at least I got feedback lol.

In certain aspects I agree with you Shadow, in that falco does have atleast Some originality in the effects of his moves. Plus, as it was brought out in another post (not sure where), a point was made that falco uses the same technology as fox-hence the same moves. Then again, some specials that use original moves could be liked. Agreed as well with you in that ganondorf should utilize that crazy sword, or AT-least use his katanas from winwaker. Man, he could be soo good AND original.

Falco_Phoenix

Smash Cadet
Ganondorf needs an energy ball attack that can be reflected by attacks, the longer it bounces around, the more power it gains.

Falco needs new weapons, like the ones from Assault. Why would his blaster be more powerful than fox's, anyway?

C 3

Smash Ace
The characters should be balanced out. SSB was based more on the player's skill to use the character, rather than choosing the best character. If you're a good overall player you could easily switch between characters and you'll do fine. In SSBM, the characters are so out of whack it's ridiculous. It seems as though if you use Fox, Falco, Sheik, Peach or Marth (which everyone abuses), you'll go far, no matter how good of an actual player you really are. Lots of mediocre players do well in tournaments mainly because they use those characters. Other people use more even and reasonable characters like falcon, Doc, Luigi, etc. but it's so much harder to get around the God/top tiers.

I would complain more, but i'll leave it at that for now :p

Falco_Phoenix

Smash Cadet
The characters should be balanced out. SSB was based more on the player's skill to use the character, rather than choosing the best character. If you're a good overall player you could easily switch between characters and you'll do fine. In SSBM, the characters are so out of whack it's ridiculous. It seems as though if you use Fox, Falco, Sheik, Peach or Marth (which everyone abuses), you'll go far, no matter how good of an actual player you really are. Lots of mediocre players do well in tournaments mainly because they use those characters. Other people use more even and reasonable characters like falcon, Doc, Luigi, etc. but it's so much harder to get around the God/top tiers.

I would complain more, but i'll leave it at that for now :p
That's because Smash is not meant to be played just this way. Fox is the ultimate 1-on-1 character, but other characters, such as Bowser, will own in a 4-player melee. That's why I think that Brawl will still have your "tiers." Make a 4-player tier list!

greenblob

Smash Lord
Zelda: Give her new moves from TP.
Luigi: Give him more options to combo into up B.
Ness: Dair should be much faster. I say make Ness a DJC fiend with quick aerials that can be chained by DJCing.
Kirby: Make him smaller and have his up B auto-combo.
Pikachu: Everything that's good about Pichu (smaller size, extra power, speed, etc.) give to Pikachu without giving him the bad things (lighter, damaging self, lower range, etc.). Also, infinite up B range would be nice.
Fox: Give him his 64 utilt, fair, and forward smash. Maybe make his shine similar to the 64 version (in terms of knockback).
Falco: Other than the moves just listed under Fox, change his moveset (at least in appearance) other than maybe lasers and dair. As for the lasers, they should have a finite range.
Ganondorf: No need to make him a clone of Falcon.
Link: Give him Y.Link's bombs/boomerang and kill Y.Link...
Mario: Give him Doc's fair (which they already did I think) and kill Doc
Roy: Should be replaced by two FE characters that represent the ax and lance.

The Incredible Giant Cannon

Smash Apprentice
I've been dying to say this

Link should get a Twilight Princess Upgrade

down B: transform into wolf
grab:clawshot
over B: Gale boomerang
dash A: gets on spinner and hits whoever's in range
Smash attacks: uses random hidden skills

Wolf moves
Up B: Midna teleports and wolf jumps
B: dark enery traps opponents and then spin attack