• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Main Decision Help.

Zilix

Smash Rookie
I normally don't post on forums but I figured I would give this community a shot. I come from Moba communities so you probably understand my worries lol. My question is well I play ADC in mobas competitively at a pretty high level. ADC = Attack Damage Carry, which is what I play from range. ADC is a character that normally farms in lane for a while then eventually goes and kills the enemy teams entire team in team fights when the time comes. Well I want to stick to that style of being range and still being aggressive as thats my playstyle. Anyone have any advice on what characters I should try that fit that style. I would love to have a main so I can start practicing as I am new to fighting games. Thanks again for taking the time to read and hope I get some advice.

Ive been told Luigi and Sonic are pretty good for that but I havent really felt like I am good or ever gonna get good with those and it doesn't seem to fit that style as I mentioned above.

Thanks,
Zilix-

MJN Pilot

Smash Cadet
NNID
SSB-Pilot
3DS FC
4184-4408-1292
The first and most important thing in my opinion is simply; you won't be able to just pick a main and stick with it immediately. Try everyone, hang around the character boards and see who you like. I fell in love with Jigglypuff because I like the character (No one expects their butt to be handed to them buy the cute pink thing) and that she fit my style perfectly. You'll have to consider everything, it needs to be a nice mix between a character you like as a character, and a play style that suits you. For instance, if you seem to be doing well with Pac-Man, but you can't stand him, then are you sure you want to keep playing him?

With that being said, I have a friend who mains ADC in lol, and he adores Marth. You have to keep your positioning in mind with the spacing of your sword as it does more damage at the tip. So you want to be close enough to hit them, but since you're very long range, you want to be spaced perfectly. So if you're starting somewhere, that is where I would recommend.

Last edited:

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
To me, choosing a main has three steps.

1. Try everyone. I don't just mean one battle with each one. Like to be honest, 3 or 2 battles of experimenting and learning a character is how I do it. I say this because when I was a n00b I played easy characters that I had fun, but as I got better and tried to really learn a character by checking their forum and what not, I learned to use characters that I had more fun with like Meta Knight in Project M. A character you never play because you don't want to learn him could be your perfect main like how I loved how Samus plays at first sight. Try everyone.

2. Narrow it down. You should know the characters you like most and in my expierience it could range from 3 characters to half the cast and more! Go to training mode and just move and jump and do attacks as if it were for the first time. Does it just feel right or is it awkward? Experiment with their moves. Use the Mew2King method : use a move and then try to see which moves combo well after it and how far a combo can really go. Now that you know which ones you have fun with and feel right, narrow it down even more.

3. Play to win. Doesn't matter how good you are, bad characters limit you. Now I'm not saying to be a tierist or whatever they call it and choose Diddy. For example, in Smash 4 I narrowed it down to Mega Man, Mario, Ness, Duck Hunt Dog, and Shulk. Mega Man and Shulk are solid characters but they are not good enough. Duck Hunt Dog felt right, but camping is boring to me most of the time. Mario felt unrewarding and plain, so through process of elimination, Ness is my main that I will stick with until Lucas is added as DLC lol! Playing more than one or two characters will hurt you in the long run.

Sir_Zedd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sir_Zedd
I'm going to take a simpler approach.

You want a character that can attack at range and still be brutal up close?

Link is the man for you!

Sir_Zedd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sir_Zedd
Yea been playing toon link and loving him atm. Wonder how mega man is. To answer the question though yes like a zoning character. Range is my fav.
Mega man will take a lot of work to get good with, keep that in mind if you start playing as him.

Samus also sounds perfect for you, missiles and charge beams are great at controlling a match at a range.

MJN Pilot

Smash Cadet
NNID
SSB-Pilot
3DS FC
4184-4408-1292
The current opinion on Samus is that she's quite bad. Bottom 10 in my opinion.

Top Bottom