• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chapter 1: Fate's Prison

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Decided to write a four-part narrative. I might extend it based on how I'm feeling, but for now this is predominantly a spur of the moment creative writing work.

Chapter 1: Fate's Prison

Apollo woke up while lying on his back in what appeared to be a dark, makeshift cell. A dim light emanated from a barred window near the top of the hardly cozy room, but nothing else would cater to Apollo’s vision; from what he could tell, it was night time, and he certainly wasn’t in proverbial Kansas anymore.

“…Where am I? How did I get here?”

Apollo slowly pushed himself up off the concrete floor of his cell, his back aching from having not received a more appropriate surface to relax upon. As he shrugged off the pain, he found himself ever the more perplexed by the situation; Apollo began to scavenge the cell for any sort of light or tool that could assist him in understanding where he was, how he landed himself in the cell, and why he was put there of all places.

After an hour of searching the cell, Apollo had come up cold; the contents of the cell were either elusive to the eye, or there was only a barred window and a tightly locked iron door to keep him company.

“…There’s nothing. Absolutely nothing. What is even going on? Who would do this to me, and why? What am I here for?”

Apollo tried to think things over, but he kept drawing a blank; there was no one, at least no one that he personally knew, that would have the incentives and motivations for this kind of potential prank. Not even his friend Ares or his twin sister Artemis would go so far as to throw him into a cell while he wasn’t conscious, and they LOVED pranks.

Suddenly, a large, commanding voice rang out from behind Apollo and echoed throughout the room.

“I’m surprised you’ve been able to keep your wits about you, my boy! I’ve encountered many of your kind in this exact situation, but you’re only the second individual to not have a breakdown within an hour of being here!”

Apollo, taken by surprise, almost stumbled as he turned to face what appeared to be a short and stout individual…with the head of a frog, albeit enlarged.

For a moment, Apollo stared downward into its eyes as it stared back. An eerie silence, comforted only by a newly established choir of crickets, began pervading the air. Fascinating, albeit disconcerting; Apollo had never met an individual with the head of a frog before. That isn’t to completely disregard the frog man’s attire either; the seemingly insightful gentlemen wore a top hat and monocle, a black tailcoat with a velvet dress shirt, burgundy shoes, and a very well ironed pair of dress pants. Snazzy, yet blatantly peculiar to the naked eye.

“What ARE you, and how did you get in here? Neither of us are exactly thin enough to get through the window…” Apollo said, accompanied by an analytical and annoyed tone, as he pointed at the barred window while taking into account the frog man’s seeming lack of diet.

“…and you’re not tall enough to grab the doorknob of the iron door, let alone do you look like you have the strength to push it open. I didn’t hear the door unlock either.”

The frog man chuckled, adjusting his monocle after having listened to Apollo’s approach to the situation. It wasn’t long before the frog man entertained the dialogue with a refreshing interest semblant to when he had first encountered the conscious Apollo in the cell.

“My, you’re just like him! Confident, despite facing matters by which you are unfamiliar. Analytical in times of the impending unknown! Perhaps you’ll be able to solve this puzzle after all, Apollo.”

Apollo, upon hearing his name spoken by the enigmatic frog man, immediately tensed up.

“How is it that you know my name? What do you know about how I got here? Are you the one responsible for bringing me here?”

The frog man chuckled again while reaching behind his back amidst still facing Apollo, and as he brought his arm back, he also brought with him a short cane.

“All will be explained in due time, Apollo. Until then, there’s no use fretting over things. Now, come with me, the Judicator awaits you.”

Apollo was becoming ever the more innerved by the lack of answers he was getting.

“Can you at least tell me your name?”

The frog man turned and pointed his cane at the wall nearest him, muttering a few words as he did so. Suddenly, a small, purple light appeared on the wall and began to expand, eventually forming the shape of a door. After another muttering of words, the door shaped of purple light took solid form.

“Of course, my boy!" he exclaimed, turning to face Apollo while gesturing towards the door.

"You may call me Anura."

Last edited:
Top Bottom