• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Casual: Doc

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
What do you think about Doc? (not necessarily in the competitive doc v mario sense but what do you do with him?)

For me, I play Doc if I ever wanted to sandbag with Mario.

Blanky

Smash Journeyman
i like doc. transitioning from mario to doc is a bit awkward for me. the pills are way more useful in comparison to mario's fireballs, but i feel mario can pull off a lot more combos. it is, however, a lot easier to kill with doc.

mario's wavedash is much better imho. smoother and more distance. doc is good for slower fingers.

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
i like doc. transitioning from mario to doc is a bit awkward for me. the pills are way more useful in comparison to mario's fireballs, but i feel mario can pull off a lot more combos. it is, however, a lot easier to kill with doc.

mario's wavedash is much better imho. smoother and more distance. doc is good for slower fingers.
True. I feel slow with Doc :\ Though the metagame today may not agree, I believe what was said in the old Mario guide: "Mario for high-end play, Doc for low-end play"

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Doc is better against Ganondorf and Sheik, otherwise I don't really care to use him in most matchups.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
All Doc has against Jiggs over Mario is random F-airs out of grabs at the right percents. Getting grabs against Jiggs honestly is also pretty random, as is landing most ground moves not named F-tilt and U-tilt in this matchup. For the most part I really don't think the matchup for Mario and Doc vs Jiggs is really any different.

The only two matchups high tierish matchups where Doc I think is noticeably better are against Sheik and Ganon, who both Mario and Doc can kinda easily get in on on the ground, but Doc clearly likes having a better D-smash and F-air when he needs kills.

Actually I almost forgot. He's probably better against Samus too. But against Spacies, Peach, Jiggs, Marth, and the ICs, I'd consider it mostly down to preference. And against Falcon, Mario is definitely better.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Haha, what makes you think that? (Looks at all our mario v falco videos)
Mario's combos on Falcon work earlier (both Mario and Doc actually suck at comboing Falcon at 0, although Mario's F-air at 0 does the trick nicely, plus his U-air's slightly higher knockback gives the edge) and he has a better way to create a 50/50 for bad DI between sweetspot N-air and U-air when juggling, he gimps Falcon basically just as easily as Doc with his tools, his U-tilt is better in this matchup, those are the main reasons.

Plus random disjointed F-smash shenanigans are always useful.

Basically you have to be more precise with Mario in knowing what purpose your moves serve against Falcon, but your moves get better synergy in that matchup than Doc's do. Mario can more efficiently combo Falcon and then get him offstage for an easy gimp.

This is by far my most played matchup anyhow. I think it's very close to even for Mario, while Doc clearly loses about 6/4 to 65/35, since he has to work harder to combo and get Falcon offstage, and his extra KO power for the most part isn't quite that practical against Falcon, who is heavy and very resistant to vertical KOs.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Falcon users are reasonably common, and it's a very fun matchup. I think it's pretty logical.

-PM-

Smash Ace
Doc vs mario on a small map doc normally wins, nuff said ;P

But in a general FD doc vs mario, doc gets it. It just depends if the mario can actually get the kill rather then just combo'ing and getting %. A lot of marios have an issue finishing their food. Many people argue the fact that docs u-b suck but in honestly it comes down to who can not get caped in the matchup. Also its mostly about gimps for mario and doc. In my opinion it depends on which map is being played.

Mario vs Falcon is hard for a falcon that isn't expecting it. Soul ***** me this weekend. haha.

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
I know they say Roy is Mario's punching bag but Falcon seems so easy to combo when you get things going :D

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
Doc vs mario on a small map doc normally wins, nuff said ;P

But in a general FD doc vs mario, doc gets it. It just depends if the mario can actually get the kill rather then just combo'ing and getting %. A lot of marios have an issue finishing their food. Many people argue the fact that docs u-b suck but in honestly it comes down to who can not get caped in the matchup. Also its mostly about gimps for mario and doc. In my opinion it depends on which map is being played.

Mario vs Falcon is hard for a falcon that isn't expecting it. Soul ***** me this weekend. haha.
you forgot the Dtilt>fair that Doc can do to mario.

you wouldnt believe how many falcons I play lol.

-PM-

Smash Ace
If a falcon knows what he's doing he'll always out space you with nairs and dair to land behind you so you can't do anything about it. The only thing that makes falcon mario an okay match up is the fact that almost every time you can cape him, and combo him to poop.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
On anticipation, Mario can really effectively counter Falcon's approach with his tilts. My preferred tactic in the Falcon matchup is just waiting and throwing out U-tilts and Up-angled F-tilts if I see/read the jump forward, and occasionally mixing up with my occasional N-air/U-air approach. Cape usually isn't the best answer for edgeguarding him. One B-air offstage usually is enough to gimp him.

D-throw -> Smash is heavily underused by both Doc and Mario in this matchup. Specifically D-throw -> D-smash to get Falcon offstage, which does more damage and knockback than B-throw (although most Falcons will try to DI towards center stage keep in mind). U-throw -> D-smash is also underused at low percents. F-air -> Grab/D-smash at 0 is an EXCELLENT option for Mario, while Doc doesn't have as much to do against Falcon at 0% besides spacing.

j3ly

Smash Champion
lol i never thought of up angled ftilts against falcon. do u play shiek? dirty mind :)

anticipation is no good. If you whiff it (or get DD baited into doing one) you will get hit. react with utilt, or wd back fsmash. wd back dtilt if he is above 85% and you want to humiliate him :) punish roll/missed tech if possible

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The good news is that Falcon's Knee has fairly bad priority, and good DI usually makes it hard for him to get a really hard punish consistently. I think even just trying to punish Falcon's approach on a read is worthwhile (especially if your F-tilt gets him offstage, or if your U-tilt combos him), although of course, the aim is to react to his jump. Most Falcon players usually only try silly high damage tacticss if you're in some kind of disadvantaged position, so the risk of trying to wall him with tilts from neutral position usually isn't that bad.

I don't like WD backwards against Falcon since N-air tends to beat it. If he's DDing a lot I usually try to N-air.

I kinda use Sheik on the side, and I'm trying to make her my tournament main for Melee. Not having much success with that at the moment though, so I'm still maining Mario right now until I get comfortable with Sheik. I'll never drop Mario though. Especially not in favor of Doc, although I do prefer Doc against Ganon.

Top Bottom