• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Carried momentum with Neutral B ?

GameWatching

Smash Ace
So i was playing on Anther's a few days ago and my opponent was using Marth.
At one point during the match, he sent me offstage and possibly tried to edgeguard me with Shield Breaker. Instead he was diagonally heading towards the blastzone while the move was active, we both were in awe and even he didn't know what the heck was going on.

It kinda reminded of how Luigi could carry his wavedash momentum when he dropzones a fireball, but Marth had bigger leap offstage. I also tried to replicate it myself but i couldn't.
Thoughts ?

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
It's the same mechanic for both characters. It's called Vududashing when done with Luigi's Fireball and as far as I know isn't given its own name, though it's not limited to those characters nor does it have to be done out of a wavedash; all characters can do it out of anything that allows you to be moving while performing a neutral special (even being pushed by someone else). I've SDed quite a few times sliding off after walking up to the ledge and charging Shield Breaker to edgeguard.

Normally, on the frame you enter the air your horizontal velocity gets set to your terminal aerial velocity. When you enter the air during a neutral special, it instead remains whatever it was previously; you don't gain additional velocity, but if that velocity is higher than you terminal velocity then you'll be moving faster than you otherwise would be. Your change in velocity per frame (your horizontal deceleration and falling speed in this case) and your terminal velocity remain the same as normal regardless.

Luigi goes further than Marth when Vududashing since he has a higher maximum wavedash velocity (and therefore a higher initial aerial velocity when Vududashing). You also have a bigger widow to input the neutral special with Luigi and still slide off because his wavedash lasts longer.

To Vududash, all you have to do is be in the neutral special animation before you enter the air. The sooner you start it after your wavedash and enter the air, the higher your initial aerial velocity will be. It's easiest to practice facing forwards, because you will stop and enter the teetering animation (OttoOtto) if you are unsuccessful (you can't fall off an edge from a wavedash when facing forwards); if you're facing backwards then you may confuse your normal falling off with a Vududash.

Last edited:

Zappdos

Smash Cadet
Honestly, the easiest way to do this is just to do a neutral B from a walk off stage at about the same timing that you would flick back to do a PC drop.

I think this is particularly useful against Peaches recovering from an average-low height. It's really, really bad versus Sheik though.

Super fun maneuver overall.

Top Bottom