• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Care to help my Luigi? [Video Progress]

Oryan

Smash Apprentice
I'll try to make this short...

First off, I'm new to this community and new to Smash. I actually just purchased Brawl yesterday, and I gotta admit - I'm having a lot of fun. (Brawl is the first of the series I've played)

Long story short, I'm trying to improve my "Luigi". He isn't my main as of now, although I would like him to be in the future. I'm hoping someone in this section of the community can lend a hand and possibly tell me what I should improve/do.

Some side notes.
-This is not my best/worst performance... I actually just popped the game in and played a quick 2min match then recorded it.
-I understand it will take a lot of work, I've done competitive gaming for quite some time now :p
-I've watched some videos, and I've tried to replicate some of the movements/attacks.
-I hope I don't get flamed / waste 2min 30seconds of someones life :urg:
-I'm playing against a level9 D3 CPU
-I didn't even plan the syncing of music and first KO nor the "kick" taunt with the lyrics. :D
-Last but not least, remember, i've been playing "smash" for less then a day. go easy on me :p :bee:

Anyways are the videos....

March 15th [1st Day of Brawl]
#1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feyuYJZCC5U&fmt=6
#2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIw6RRtuM_k&fmt=6

March 16th [2nd Day of Brawl]
#3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcfuQfuY5_8&fmt=6

Thanks in advance!
-OryaN

P3L!C@N

Smash Cadet
Considering the circumstances, that was good. I appreciate your use of his double airs. Luigi's aerial game is sick and if you work on that and on your approaching game, you'll definitely improve with time.

Flyingmonkey

Smash Cadet
That's quite impressive for a first time smasher. Glad to see some Luigi love. Anyway, just a few little hints (keep in mind, I'm not great at this game either, so you probably have already figured this out), but watch the >B on the ground. It's mostly reserved for a recovery move, as it has a lot of lag on it. Use the tornado (vB) instead in those situations, or else some other approaching option.

The tornado is an extremely versatile move, and you can get a lot of recovery off of it if you still have your double jump. The best way I found to get max height out of it was to press down at the same time as jump, so that the down B doesn't give you downward influence (I hope that made sense). When you're near your opponent, it's better to use it to recover than the missile, because it has higher priority, is quicker, and has less lag.

Shield grabbing is generally easier to do than dash grabbing, so you should experiment with that. Try out more aerials beyond forward air (Neutral Air rocks for combo set ups, down air and back air are kill moves, and up air is both combos and kills). They all come out really fast, and are all very useable. You can fit any combination of two aerials in one short hop (which you did, which was great), and you can also short hop tornadoes for something unexpected.

But you'll get all that probably just with practice.

And if I've made any mistakes in this analysis, someone please correct me, I kind of suck at smash.

Oryan

Smash Apprentice
Many thanks to both of you. I keep forgetting to use his Dair, and his fireballs. I guess it will come with practice. I also uploaded another match, nothing special to be honest, just another vid if anyone wants to critique me more.
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIw6RRtuM_k&fmt=6)

Side Note: whats this Jab+Firepunch combo I keep hearing about?

Once again, Thanks Flyingmonkey and Pelican.

-oryan

swim2007

Smash Apprentice
The bad

do not rely too heavily on his forward air attack ( the karate chop). For a brief moment after the attack you are vulnerable to get hit especially be careful against a heavyweight with a powerfull smash attack.
Also as you approach your opponent do not be afraid to jump back every so often. It seems that a lot of times you keep charging forward which also leave u open to get hit.

The good

Good aerials and grabs. As mentioned above Luigi has a great aerial game and should be used as much as possible. Your dodging is pretty good and shield rolling is not bad. Also you seem to be good at spiking the opponent and accurately connecting on most of your smashes.

Overall I give u a B to a B+. Good luck improving! Luigi for life!

LouBega

Smash Journeyman
use nairs!!!

looked pretty good for a beginner, i liked the double fairs. should probably try grabbing out of your shield instead of the dashing grabs.

Scarface

Smash Apprentice
You look good. One thing I saw is that you should be more agreesive once you send yer opponent off the stage.

Luigi's D-air is killer off stage and has a spike property. If they are below you, punish them.

I am one of those people that used F-air to death in Melee. As a result I am having a hard time not using it so much, but I still seem to be able to combo it nicely in the air with double jumps and what have you. You seem to have that down pretty good as well.

Overall, you look fine.

Oryan

Smash Apprentice
I made another video while taking post#5 and post#6 in mind. I use nairs more and shieldgrabs. Thanks again for your input!

Somethings I noticed:
-Need to stop doing Side-B when on map.
-Need to get better at grabbing.

If anyone cares to post anything about my newest video, please do. I'll take the post into account while making a newer video.

(I'll take post#7's into account in my next video as well)

Well here it is...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcfuQfuY5_8

-OryaN (It feels like I'm getting better)

Magnacor

Smash Ace
Here's my advice. Some serious, some not:

Play stock matches. You were playing time matches. It's not a big deal, but normal tounaments play with Stock matches a life-based system instead of Time which is a point based system. Just go to the rules and change it to stock and set the stock to as many or lttle as you please.

Use the up taunt. Way cooler then down taunt. :p

His side b is a powerful move, but with an opponent smarter then a level nine dedede, it will probably miss. It has a lot of lag so if you miss you will get punished. It's good for horizantal recovery though.

You asked about jab to Up B. That's a technique where you get close enough to your opponent to do a jab (neutral A on ground), jab twice (be careful of the third jab, as that will knock back your opponent, ruining the combo) and then use your Up B (or Fire Jump Punch). When used at close range, the Fire Jump Punch is one of the most powerful attacks in the game and will kill your opponent at fairly low percentages.

Luigi's air game is one of the best. He also has one of the best recoveries in the game. If your opponent is even remotely near the stage when you knocked them off, you should jump off the stage too and use arials to knock them further away. He can use his down B (the Luigi Cyclone) to recover by mashing the B button after you use it. Especially good after you use your second jump. Use it and then your Up B after you edgeguard them and you'll be a much better player.

Don't just play against Dedede. Play against all the characters to get a feel for how to defeat them. If you have Wi-Fi I'd suggest getting Friend Codes from here to help you improve even more.

For my closing comments: you're good. For a beginner, you are really good. Your mind is already set on competitive play, which is invaluble (<-- Spelling?). You definitely have what it takes to go pro someday.

cowsmoo71

Smash Rookie
If you want to main luigi, my advice would be to, until advanced techs that counter this come up, do some more rolling. i think it has better traction and goes a little faster. Don't sideB too much. Airials are a MUST. I suggest Wi-Fi, i cant go on wifi because of some internet probs.

I just wanted to say this and it will be on all my posts, my friend thinks that D3 is a Kirby clone. LOL!

Top Bottom